What's the Deal with Bending the Real?

Apr 2, 2011
Chicago, IL
Hey all,

If you haven't heard, Bending the Real is Jay Sankey's newest DVD. He has called it "outrageous" and "groundbreaking." If you don't know, "bending" is a new phrase that Jay is trying to coin. It's about sharing an experience with the spectator and bending reality, not about showing them a trick. Jay has really been hyping this project.

Personally, I don't think it deserves all the hype. I like Jay and I have purchased a few of his DVDs, but I don't think this one is living up to all the promotion. Bending the Real has its own youtube channel, and the bends that he has posted just aren't doing it for me. Specifically, "WHEW!" (which is posted for free on the channel) doesn't make sense in this context. You basically pretend to give someone a parking ticket. Entertaining? Maybe. But not the type of thing I want to buy for $35.00. Also, I can't jump on board with the "bending" way of thinking. Looking at the free bends and the DVD preview, it doesn't seem all that different from Jay's other work. Some of the effects on this DVD are recycled from his other DVDs (specifically Descendant, which is from Jay's Kaleidoscope DVD).

In short, I really don't think this project is worth the hype and promotion that Jay is giving it. What do you think? How do you feel about the bending philosophy? I'm interested to hear your opinions.

Thanks for listening.

Sep 11, 2010
Hey all,

If you haven't heard, Bending the Real is Jay Sankey's newest DVD. He has called it "outrageous" and "groundbreaking." If you don't know, "bending" is a new phrase that Jay is trying to coin. It's about sharing an experience with the spectator and bending reality, not about showing them a trick. Jay has really been hyping this project.

Personally, I don't think it deserves all the hype. I like Jay and I have purchased a few of his DVDs, but I don't think this one is living up to all the promotion. Bending the Real has its own youtube channel, and the bends that he has posted just aren't doing it for me. Specifically, "WHEW!" (which is posted for free on the channel) doesn't make sense in this context. You basically pretend to give someone a parking ticket. Entertaining? Maybe. But not the type of thing I want to buy for $35.00. Also, I can't jump on board with the "bending" way of thinking. Looking at the free bends and the DVD preview, it doesn't seem all that different from Jay's other work. Some of the effects on this DVD are recycled from his other DVDs (specifically Descendant, which is from Jay's Kaleidoscope DVD).

In short, I really don't think this project is worth the hype and promotion that Jay is giving it. What do you think? How do you feel about the bending philosophy? I'm interested to hear your opinions.

Thanks for listening.

The bends on the YouTube channel are weaker "bends" that only work in certain situations. The "bends" on the actual DVD are better.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
The bends on the YouTube channel are weaker "bends" that only work in certain situations. The "bends" on the actual DVD are better.

Weaker bends? What do you mean? I have already used Reconnection a lot lately, and it works EXTREMELY well! All of the bends on the DVD (which I got today) are special in their own way. I don't prefer "this bend" over "another bend", since all of them are different. You're seriously getting a deal on this DVD, because it comes with equipment from 4 already sold-separately DVDs. For $35 you can't beat it - one hell of a combo deal.

SHATTERED is one I will definitely pull on my dad. He has a short fuse and he will go ballistic when he sees what's happening! The Bending The Real Project is a mix of gags, pranks, and tricks. The whole purpose of the term "bend" is to unify ALL of those different kinds of deceptions. I feel that if more people look deeper into what he is talking about they will start to understand his "coined" term. A bend is universally twisting someone's senses by surprise and catching them off guard.

In a VERY short review, I would say to get the DVD now. For $35, again, you will not be disappointed. There is something for EVERYBODY and when they are used at the right time, they are golden. Definitely get this DVD if you plan on stepping outside of your comfort zone.

10/10 from me :)

Sep 11, 2010
Weaker bends? What do you mean? I have already used Reconnection a lot lately, and it works EXTREMELY well! All of the bends on the DVD (which I got today) are special in their own way. I don't prefer "this bend" over "another bend", since all of them are different. You're seriously getting a deal on this DVD, because it comes with equipment from 4 already sold-separately DVDs. For $35 you can't beat it - one hell of a combo deal.

SHATTERED is one I will definitely pull on my dad. He has a short fuse and he will go ballistic when he sees what's happening! The Bending The Real Project is a mix of gags, pranks, and tricks. The whole purpose of the term "bend" is to unify ALL of those different kinds of deceptions. I feel that if more people look deeper into what he is talking about they will start to understand his "coined" term. A bend is universally twisting someone's senses by surprise and catching them off guard.

In a VERY short review, I would say to get the DVD now. For $35, again, you will not be disappointed. There is something for EVERYBODY and when they are used at the right time, they are golden. Definitely get this DVD if you plan on stepping outside of your comfort zone.

10/10 from me :)

I agree, the DVD is great. When I said "weaker bends", I was mainly referring to Whew! and how it wouldn't work in most places.

Sep 7, 2008
I'm having trouble believing people are actually saying this DVD was worth it.

It's full of unoriginal and impractical "bends." Storm Cloud was perhaps the biggest joke I have ever seen.
This disc was TERRIBLE.

Not recommended.

Feb 12, 2011
At my Computer
Saborfang17 I know your entitled to your on opinion but I seriously disagree.I think that all of Jays things that are out are great and I would really appreciate you telling me what you dislike about him. Bending The Real looks amazing and if it is anything like any of his other DVDs (such as Wrap It Up which is amazing) I really hope to get oppurtunity to buy it soon!

Jun 10, 2010
Saborfang17 I know your entitled to your on opinion but I seriously disagree.I think that all of Jays things that are out are great and I would really appreciate you telling me what you dislike about him. Bending The Real looks amazing and if it is anything like any of his other DVDs (such as Wrap It Up which is amazing) I really hope to get oppurtunity to buy it soon!

Yeah, yeah. People say the same thing about every product.

He's boring. There are very few magicians who I find entertaining as entertainers, not just because they fool people with methods.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the reason why a lot of people don't like dvd is because they're going for hard hitting effects and it seems like the dvd doesn't have those. However, never judge a book by it's cover! The reason the effects presented in the dvd seem so dull is because Jay Sankey is just showing you how to do them in plain way. He's not giving you a routine or anything. He's shows it in a plain matter of fact kind of way. The reason for this though is because he wants everyone to develop their own character not to copy his or any other magician's character. I think a lot of people don't realize that it's the person that gets the reactions from the spectators not the effect. The great thing about this dvd is it really gets your creative juices flowing it makes you think great so I can now pop a cap into a bottle... but now how do I make that totally epic? I loved the dvd. I loved the way Jay Sankey taught everything and I loved the effects! I wrote a review for it at the magic network and I'll post a link to it once it gets approved. I think the greatest thing about the dvd was how Jay Sankey got me to think about how I can apply different effects across a wide spectrum of things.

Apr 2, 2011
Chicago, IL
I'm glad to see the mix of reviews here. I figured people would be split on the issue, and the debate is giving some great info. As I said, I like Jay Sankey, and I have some of his other material. I just wasn't (and still am not) sure about Bending the Real.

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
I like some of Jay's work, but overall, I am shocked every time he releases something new because people like it so much.

The editing is so corny, the music is always awful cheesy techno, and most of the effects look like they are marketed towards kids magicians who don't know any better. His work screams "gimmicky!"

I hate to sound so harsh, because he has put a lot of work into some great magic, but these DVDs and trailers really help me understand what Daniel Madison means when he says magic is dead.

How could anyone take the phrase "Bending the real" seriously? Even "Bending reality" is pushing it. Reminds me of "Mind Freaking" people. Ugh.

Apr 7, 2011
the underground.
@timsilva I have to agree with you. I respect Jay and his work - he's without-a-doubt of the few creative magicians out there - but "Bending the Real" just seems like he's pushing it. Most of his effects are either rehashed effects or just new, but impractical effects.

Sep 7, 2008
I think the reason why a lot of people don't like dvd is because they're going for hard hitting effects and it seems like the dvd doesn't have those. However, never judge a book by it's cover! The great thing about this dvd is it really gets your creative juices flowing it makes you think great so I can now pop a cap into a bottle... but now how do I make that totally epic? I loved the dvd.

I understand Jay's intent. I just think this was a failed attempt.
The cap in bottle was actually Eric Lecleric's from the Underground Jam DVD, if I remember correctly.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I have a few Sankey DVD's and after a bit his humor and the fact that he doesn't really perform for real people anymore kind of takes away from him. I get tired of seeing him "perform" for the camera and not for real people.. Also when he started releasing new stuff all the time it got annoying.

Jun 10, 2010
I have a few Sankey DVD's and after a bit his humor and the fact that he doesn't really perform for real people anymore kind of takes away from him. I get tired of seeing him "perform" for the camera and not for real people.. Also when he started releasing new stuff all the time it got annoying.

And with this thought in mind, I'm going to repeat my previous opinion:

Jay Sankey. Bleh.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Yeah, yeah. People say the same thing about every product.

He's boring. There are very few magicians who I find entertaining as entertainers, not just because they fool people with methods.

I HIGHLY disagree. I think Sankey is VERY funny and entertaining. I think the reason you, and many other people, don't like him is because most of his stuff isn't "super hardcore magician frying" magic. What's great about the bulk of Sankey's material is that it isn't too difficult to do and most importantly, it plays great with spectators!

Jun 10, 2010
I HIGHLY disagree. I think Sankey is VERY funny and entertaining. I think the reason you, and many other people, don't like him is because most of his stuff isn't "super hardcore magician frying" magic. What's great about the bulk of Sankey's material is that it isn't too difficult to do and most importantly, it plays great with spectators!

I don't care for "super hardcore magician frying magic". I don't care for Jay Sankey. I don't like his humor. It's cheesy and lame. I don't care how difficult it is. I don't like his style, his attitude, his anything. Simply put, I don't like him as a magician.

No offense intended, to Sankey or anybody who disagrees with my opinion.

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com

I don't care for "super hardcore magician frying magic". I don't care for Jay Sankey. I don't like his humor. It's cheesy and lame. I don't care how difficult it is. I don't like his style, his attitude, his anything. Simply put, I don't like him as a magician.

No offense intended, to Sankey or anybody who disagrees with my opinion.

@RK - I completely disagree, his presentation style doesn't play great with spectators! The performer makes the trick. But a gimmicky trick that relies on patter isn't worth trying to save. When I say "gimmicky", I am not referring to the actual use of gimmicks, I am referring to a style of magic that is perceived as un-organic.

@Sabor - I couldn't agree more with you. :)

I feel like Sankey has been using the same camera for a decade now too, he should really work on his production value. These trailers look like unsuccessful VHS tape magic videos from the early 90s. :eek:

To be fair, we don't have to buy his products. There is a larger market for magic now, and we can avoid his products. He just makes me appreciate T11, E, Penguin, PaperCrane, WH, D&DB, and other quality producers that much more.

Jun 10, 2010
Tim, I'm not saying it plays great with spectators. My views are the opposite... I feel you have my views and R.K. Magician78's viewpoints crossed.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results