When to be Funny?

Sep 1, 2007
What is the place of humor in a performance? If one isn't funny, there's too much tension. If one is too funny, it takes away from the effect.

What we do is pretty funny. We break rules. There is an inherent humor to magic, and yet at the same time, the rules we break can be very serious. I mean, take Control, for instance (which has yet to be released). I don't know much about the effect, but as far as I can tell, the magician is killing him- or herself in front of an audience. Not too funny--and if one tries to make it funny, it won't be as strong an effect.

But take any card effect, Witness, for example. It's not really possible to act too serious when doing this one, without looking like and idiot. So what's the alternate route? Being funny. In this case, a line like "and the back of the card has changed to your card! Amazing!" builds up the suspense, while at the same time, alleviating tension.

Another good example. For those of you who do the E effect KAOS (dumbest name ever, in my opinion), a good funny line to say might be, "now I'll go to the other side, and be careful, the glass might explode into a thousand razor sharp splinters and embed themselves in your flesh," and to deliver this line in complete seriousness. This is a funny thing to say, but at the same time, the delivery makes the spectator nervous and adds to the climax of the effect.

To effectively be a funny performer, you've got to have the timing down. Timing is everything.

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
What is the place of humor in a performance? If one isn't funny, there's too much tension. If one is too funny, it takes away from the effect.

What we do is pretty funny. We break rules. There is an inherent humor to magic, and yet at the same time, the rules we break can be very serious. I mean, take Control, for instance (which has yet to be released). I don't know much about the effect, but as far as I can tell, the magician is killing him- or herself in front of an audience. Not too funny--and if one tries to make it funny, it won't be as strong an effect.

But take any card effect, Witness, for example. It's not really possible to act too serious when doing this one, without looking like and idiot. So what's the alternate route? Being funny. In this case, a line like "and the back of the card has changed to your card! Amazing!" builds up the suspense, while at the same time, alleviating tension.

Another good example. For those of you who do the E effect KAOS (dumbest name ever, in my opinion), a good funny line to say might be, "now I'll go to the other side, and be careful, the glass might explode into a thousand razor sharp splinters and embed themselves in your flesh," and to deliver this line in complete seriousness. This is a funny thing to say, but at the same time, the delivery makes the spectator nervous and adds to the climax of the effect.

To effectively be a funny performer, you've got to have the timing down. Timing is everything.

I would never say that in a performance. The subtle humor is okay, but stuff like that can weird out your spectators. Making little, witty jokes here and there are great, but actually coming out with a big joke that really doesn't contribute to the effect don't help.

A better idea for performing Kaos would be when you are going to the other side of the glass, just playfully say, "Don't miss me too much." Or something like that. Jokes about bodily harm are never fun in magic performances.

But of course, there's always the exception. If your spectator is making jokes of that caliber, go right ahead because it fits in with the situation. It's all about situation.

//David.Misner::

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I disagree with what you say about Control. While I don't know how the routine goes, I would imagine that a magician could make the stopping of his pulse humorous.

Why do you say there are rules in magic? There should not be any rules in one's magic. A magician should be able to perform in his own style and not be restrained by RULES. Rules will only hinder one's performance useless. The only way to be creative is to imagine the world without rules.

Mitchell

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
I agree with d4v1dm15n3r. If you make your jokes last too long, the audience may find you corny, and above all, it may detract from the effect you are doing.

I usually do not plan on any jokes ahead of time in my patter. I use little jokes as tension breakers. I never like my audience to be up tight. I also never like the spectator who is helping me to feel like they are being made a fool of.

I guess in short, I use jokes and kid to make the participant feel at ease like they are part of the magic instead of the target of the magic. Also to keep the audience in a good mood.

Longman said:
...the delivery makes the spectator nervous...

I would NEVER do anything to make the spectator nervous. Thats a big no no. At least in my book. They should be enjoying your performance, not fearing it.

The Dark Angel said:
I disagree with what you say about Control. While I don't know how the routine goes, I would imagine that a magician could make the stopping of his pulse humorous.

Oh look! An idea for cheesiest pickup line ever...

*magician places womans head on his chest*
"Do you hear that? Your beauty is heart stopping"
*que obligatory groans*

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Why do you say there are rules in magic? There should not be any rules in one's magic. A magician should be able to perform in his own style and not be restrained by RULES. Rules will only hinder one's performance useless. The only way to be creative is to imagine the world without rules.

Mitchell

I think he was referring to the basic laws of existence and the like. Such as gravity. We seem to break all the basic laws of the universe in our performances.

Sep 1, 2007
I think he was referring to the basic laws of existence and the like. Such as gravity. We seem to break all the basic laws of the universe in our performances.

Yes, that is what I was referring to. Also, I personally find bodily harm to be extremely funny. Three Stooges is classic.

I like a joke that's drawn out. One-liners are great and help to break up tension, but I think that the longer "joke" helps to build up to the "punch-line."

As for being funny when stopping you pulse, if you just play it all off as a joke, the audience may take it that way, when it can really be so much more.

One more little note, when I say joke, I don't really mean "story, punchline," I am referring to funny things one says.

I hate planning jokes. It's much funnier when it's organic.

I crack alot of jokes in my show, and people still consider my aura eerie or mysterious. You just have to know what to say, and when to say it. You can make your audience laugh and still amaze them as long as you don't over-do it.

Anthony Bass

Very nicely put,

As for what Mitchell said about rules, there isn't rules in magic he's correct. We break, destroy, warp, tear, float, penetrate and anything else that messes up logic. Realistically, in performances it depends on the type of person you are, and the type of personality your audience portrays. Obviously you can't crack jokes about MTV to a group of business people, or something about taxes to 8 year olds. You just need to know how to read an audience, very simply. And well, if you can't do that embarrass yourself until you find what's right and wrong.

It's all about the situation and timing, and reading your audience. Very simply put.

-RA69

Aug 31, 2007
Comedy is half impromptu, half preparation.

By impromptu, I mean impromptu jokes made truly off the cuff based on the situation or current going-ons. For example, you could be doing a card trick when someone suddenly farts. Everyone laughs, you laugh too. Later, during the trick, you may add in lines like "To make the card rise to the top, I would need you, sir, to fart on the deck again..." and add some jokes in. Sure, my example may seen offensive to the audience... but well. Just an example.

With preparation, that's where you need to do some homework. Now with Youtube and other video-hosting sites, you can always try to watch some comedians in action and learn from them. At first, you may be merely copying them, but slowly over time, their comedy will fit into your magic and you will modify what you copied to your own inner style.

You need to find a perfect combination of impromptu and prepared comedy. Impromptu comedy requires a certain attitude that can only be trained and developed over time - keep trying out telling jokes or making fun of things, and you will develop this mindframe of seeing funny things and being able to say something funny about anything you see. Prepared jokes will help you in cases where something funny crops up, but you DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. Watch enough of comedy and you'll have a basic understanding of some one-liner to say.

Basically: Prepare your jokes/lines, and develop a comedic attitude. That's how I feel, you can add comedy to your everyday magic.

Isn't Mr Kenner a comedy magician? He can always chip in with some of his ideas.

- harapan. magic!

Oct 6, 2007
I don't get why some people are 'preparing' their jokes to say...

Comedians need to prepare their jokes because that's what their whole act is about...
However, as magaicians, our act is the magic going on. Jokes are just put in there to break tension, make it more fun/interesting etc.

I believe that preparing jokes is like....lame.
Just crack one up at the right time during an effect. You don't need to PREPARE jokes.

Just my opinion..

Nov 19, 2007
MD

You would really say that?

Comedians need to prepare their jokes because that's what their whole act is about...
However, as magaicians, our act is the magic going on. Jokes are just put in there to break tension, make it more fun/interesting etc.

Just crack one up at the right time during an effect. You don't need to PREPARE jokes.

Just my opinion..

A couple of things I don't agree with here. While first I agree with being impromptu with some of your jokes but obviously you have never sat down and wrote out a full routine. My first question to you is, do you perform for money or how serious do you take this art? A true magician knows what he's doing at all times he has worked his routines a thousand times and along with doing that they should know what jokes and where and when to use them. You don't want to be so impromptu that you say something thats not funny do you. No ones perfect and what might be funny to you might not be funny to others and routining and field testing those jokes will tell you. I believe every magician should know where he or she is going with something to maximize the best reaction from their audience. Thats being a professional.

Just my opinion..

I don't prepare my jokes. I don't have a set time when I say them. But if I see a moment, and think of something clever to say, it'll come out. I don't plan jokes at all. I just wing it. =)

Anthony Bass

Sep 1, 2007
You would really say that?

Well, no, because I don't do that effect. But I would make a joke like that. I like awkward situational comedy more than rim tap punchline comedy. This isn't to say that if the opportunity presents itself I wouldn't tell a good joke, but the bulk of my patter, while not scripted, revolves around the idea that I have no idea how I'm making these things happen.

I try and act as surprised as everyone else. A la: "Was this your card? Yes? Well...kick ass," or "let me see the card. It's OK I saw some guy do it before," or even "I have no idea what just happened, I just live here." For me, humor is the misdirection. While they laugh, I'll do the half-pass or switch the card. And since I seem kind of distant, they never suspect anything.

If I were to do something like Control, I'd probably begin to act nervous and a bit scared as my pulse stopped. With Stigmata, since they squeeze my arm, I usually go "What the hell did you do?"

I have fun, they have fun, everybody wins.

But that's just me.

You gotta perform these effects the way that feels right to you. Patter and timing always change. Reactions will always vary. You have to be you. Don't get twisted up on what's appropriate. Think outside the box. You wanna make a joke about your pulse stopping, do it. If you wanna be creepy and mysterious with it, it's your choice.

However.... the one trick I do, that I'm not sure how to present is stopping a watch. I us E's M5. I strap it to my chest so my arms and hands are totally clean. I don't get a big reaction when I stop a watch. Not to change the subject, but any quick thoughts?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results