When We Were Young

At some point, weren't we all laymen?

A recent thread by RDChopper titled "Why do laymen enjoy magic?" got me thinking about when I was a laymen. Way back before I knew what any kind of palming was. Way back before I knew what a double lift was. Back when "Hey, wanna see some magic?" would send a little chill down my back from the shear excitement of seeing something that I couldn't explain at the time. Back to the very first time I wanted to learn how to make something disappear. I wanna hear from people on this.

A few questions. Answer one of them, all of them, don't answer any of them and choose to add something you think applies. However you wanna go about it.

What was it that made you wanna become a magican in the first place?

What was the first trick you learned to perform?

What/Who (if anything/anyone) has influenced you to perform the way that you do?

Just for fun, What is your favorite Trick/Illusion/Deception (However you would like to word it) to perform?

Do you still get the same feeling now when you can't explain how something is done, like you did when you were a layman?

EDIT: For those who answer No to the question above, do you miss that feeling?

Are you free tonight? (just kidding)

Thanks to those who post.

-Dante

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 1, 2007
Long BEACH, New York
Stigmata.
I was 11 and my older brothers friend showed me Stigmata in front of my house.
I was F**king amazed.
That is what got me into magic.
The first tricked I learned to perform was the french drop.
Then I fell in love with card magic.

TimFt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
1. i loved coins, and was playing with some, and a friend showed me a french drop. that was all it took.
2. first trick was the french drop, but my real trick was either a coins across, which i still use to this day or the worlds fastest reversal card trick
3. Me. i use my own style and think of stuff i like.
4. favourite trick, thats a hard one, ill get back to you on that another time.
5. yes i still get fooled all the time, just not the same as when i knew nothing. now i can usually come up with an explantion because my mind instantly does that. i try to ignore that for as long as I can and keep the astonishment.

and yes i am free tonight. also just kidding

Jul 10, 2008
What was it that made you wanna become a magician in the first place?

I've always loved magic. I loved watching "The Worlds Greatest Magic" specials that were on around the holidays. But the moment I got bit was when I came across a magic shop and the Magician/Sales Rep performed the effects right there in front of me.

The Vanishing Handkerchief

What/Who (if anything/anyone) has influenced you to perform the way that you do?

I like the old guys. I learn so much from them performance wise. Here's a great example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rWcCuNYcrc

Just for fun, What is your favorite Trick/Illusion/Deception (However you would like to word it) to perform?

Me favorite effect to perform is my card to wallet (or other place if possible)

Do you still get the same feeling now when you can't explain how something is done, like you did when you were a layman?

Yes, if I'm watching someone with great presentation and performance style. I enjoy the effects that are well thought out and if the performer can create a mood, then they've got my undivided attention

Now, what's your answers to your questions?

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
What was it that made you wanna become a magican in the first place? My dad is who set my mind a blazing which is why I started.

What was the first trick you learned to perform? Biddle trick and I still live by it today.

What/Who (if anything/anyone) has influenced you to perform the way that you do? Harry Lorayne, a close friend of Harry Loraynes which I met several months back, and my close friends.

What is your favorite Trick/Illusion/Deception (However you would like to word it) to perform? I love performing Biddle Trick, triumphs, two card monte

Do you still get the same feeling now when you can't explain how something is done, like you did when you were a layman? Not exactly.

Over the past couple months I have taken time to analyze each effect I use. I sit down and spend time looking at the effect from what I feel a laymen does or should see vs what I see happening. I then use what they probably feel to convince myself to feel the same way... In other words, I've been developing a way to trick myself in to feeling something is completely astonishing when I feel it should be. Sounds a bit bizarre, I guess.

May 7, 2008
MoNTReaL 514 *****!

-my grand pa he use to make appear (fake) gold for me:)

-the thing with a red ball that disapears..

- My grandpa and David blaine when i started then came d+M

- this that other it soo simple and fun

- yeah

yeah (just kidding)

D

Deleted member 2755

At some point, weren't we all laymen?

A recent thread by RDChopper titled "Why do laymen enjoy magic?" got me thinking about when I was a laymen. Way back before I knew what any kind of palming was. Way back before I knew what a double lift was. Back when "Hey, wanna see some magic?" would send a little chill down my back from the shear excitement of seeing something that I couldn't explain at the time. Back to the very first time I wanted to learn how to make something disappear. I wanna hear from people on this.

A few questions. Answer one of them, all of them, don't answer any of them and choose to add something you think applies. However you wanna go about it.

1.What was it that made you wanna become a magican in the first place?

2.What was the first trick you learned to perform?

3.What/Who (if anything/anyone) has influenced you to perform the way that you do?

4.Just for fun, What is your favorite Trick/Illusion/Deception (However you would like to word it) to perform?

5.Do you still get the same feeling now when you can't explain how something is done, like you did when you were a layman?

Thanks to those who post.

-Dante

1. That's really tough to say. I have quite a bit of history with magic so I can't say one thing. I'd be typing up another one of my world famous essays. ;) Well after my first time performing magic (oh what a great story....) I enjoyed it a lot. I quit a little bit after that moment. Then a long while back, one of my friend's asked me if he thought I should get back into it. I did. I didn't quit. I've been loving magic more than ever since I started again back then.

2. Sinful. ;)

3. In order to not make this into an awkward post for myself.... I'll say that answer is personal.

4. Wow. That is way too hard to say. There are way too many pieces of magic that I love. I couldn't pick just one. I know me saying that may annoy you, but its true. I cannot just pick one piece of magic.

5. Yes. I actually try to get that feeling whenever I can. ;)

Aug 18, 2008

3.What/Who (if anything/anyone) has influenced you to perform the way that you do?

4.Just for fun, What is your favorite Trick/Illusion/Deception (However you would like to word it) to perform?

5.Do you still get the same feeling now when you can't explain how something is done, like you did when you were a layman?

I was at the Lance Burton magic show when I was 10. I was called on stage and watched Lance pull a dozen eggs and a live chicken out of an empty top hat.

2. The first trick I learned was the hummer card, from the lance burton magic shop haha.

3. David Blaine

4. My simple transposition using a few doubles lifts and a lot of presentation.

5. Its a different feelings. There are still things that fool me, but now I want to know the secrets.

Sinful, there's not a thing you could say to annoy me, that's just how I am lol. I basically told you guys that you could answer whatever you wanted.

Faded, in relation to the end of your post. I don't happen to think that's weird even a little. I would imagine that that should come in handy to some degree when you perform. Which if it does, is a very good thing.

Alright Cherry, i'm answering my own questions.

When I was younger I just thought it was cool. The older I got, I wanted it because I started to understand how diverse it could really be. Between the psychological aspect it could have and the deception that it could harbour in a single double lift. Evenually I decided it was something that I wanted to really learn.

The thumb vanish lol. You know, that thing you do... that makes it look like your thumb vanished... That.

I perform based on how I feel at the time. Sometimes it's kinda dark, other times it's kinda funny.

I think I mentioned this somewhere else, but it's just a real simple set of three moves I link together with some patter. It's nothing revolutionary at all, but within the last year I just started to try perfecting everything I already know before I move on to more serious skills.

To be honest, not completely. I've know this for a bit, but it kinda hit me hard again recently. I was on DnD.com and I was looking at The Queens preview video. I watched it one time and knew what was going on. That hit me kinda hard lol. But I think they'll always be something that'll fool me.

If it doesn't happen for a while, yeah I do.

Absolutly! What's on ya mind sexy? lol Even i'm creeped out now.

Sep 3, 2007
1. my friend's bday party magician+ busker in SF+ sub that did card tricks= me in magic

2. key card, the trick where the card reverses itself, 21 card trick

3. David Blaine, Tyler Durden, Slim Shady, and Heath Ledger's Joker have influenced my character.
And Pop Haydn.

4. My favorite right now is probably my version of Sankey's Back In Time. (if you know this trick/ pm me)

5. I do not get the same feeling.

But it's been replaced by a different feeling.
When I watch good magic:

An admiration for the performer's dexterity and practice (which often goes unappreciated)
More attention in looking at their character

When I see a great trick I either feel like:

D@mn that's a genius way to routine/ use that sleight/ present it. Why didn't I think of that?

or
since I'm not familiar with every single branch of magic and am still practically a layman when I watch those forms of magic (ex: mentalism).

I still sometimes get that WTF moment. (Derren Brown is good at doing that)

And I try to hold onto that moment.

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
I must say, this is a great thread.

I wish I knew the answer to that question. I've always had an interest in magic I guess, but I don't think I can positively attribute this to any one trick or person.

I learnt a cool coin trick from a book by Nicholas Einhorn that I bought (quite innocently) when I was about 8. It was simply the Down's Palm. (I think that's what it's called, anyway - please, correct me if I'm wrong).

I have a number of influences, I must say. I think amateur performers like Jordan Lapping have always influenced me more than big names like David Copperfield. Simply because their style of performing seems to be in reach - unlike maybe Copperfield. Besides, I much prefer that way of performance. I bet that didn't make any sense...

I have many different types of trick I perform for fun. For example, I perform 69 by Dan and Dave because I do think it is fun to perform. Something like The Web by Jim Pace is fun for other reasons - and a trick like TnR or the Holy Grail by Jordan Johnson is fun to perform simply because it's so damn ingenious.

Derren Brown. Need I say more?

-Sam H

May 19, 2008
manchester
no idea, ive always liked magic it was "meant" to be (lol)

cant remember, I THINK it was the swenagli deck and I thought it was broken but im not sure

derren brown, daniel madison (alot), wayne houchin (abit), hucklebury fin (OBVIOUSLY)

Just for fun, What is your favorite Trick/Illusion/Deception (However you would like to word it) to perform? oh fine, ask all the HARD questions why don't you... bizzare routine (shaken not stirred), open travelers/invisible palm, galaxy, (when ive made and performed it) P.H vanishing deck and a bit of this and that around the edges

Do you still get the same feeling now when you can't explain how something is done, like you did when you were a layman? sometimes, daniel madison and derren brown are both kick... but (did you see what I did their?) this is a family freindly forum and im not allowed to say the word "arse" or "ass" because we dont like donkeys here (bloody discriminating), and because its a... strong word ha ha

how utterly stupid is this? WORD COUNT... you have not entered 10 or more characters, we can not post your message is this enough?

deary me...

1) What was it that made you wanna become a magican in the first place?

My uncle is a lifelong magician/enthusiast and used to show me stuff he was toying with in the mid 80's when I was a kid. He gave me a set from Tannen's in '87 when I started asking too many questions for his patience, and I was hooked.

2) What was the first trick you learned to perform?

Nickels to dimes. As a kid, ending that clean felt great!

3) Do you still get the same feeling now when you can't explain how something is done, like you did when you were a layman?

I hadn't in a long time, but seeing Eric Decamps perform a few years ago changed that for me. Then, later that same night, Bob Sheets headlined a standup show and slayed the room. I felt like a kid watching magic again for the first time in years...twice in one day!

Pj

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong

1. Um... I dont quite remember... I was interested around when i was 5-6 years old and I always bought those little magic sets in a box. I would play around but never actually got serious with it. I got serious around 3 years back when I realized I couldnt shuffle. I searched online to search for a book. Found Royal Road, bought it in my local bookstore. tadaa...

2. I'm not sure... vanishing hankerchief i guess? but my first card trick was the 30 card trick or whatever. the mathematical one.

3. Dont really know. But off the top of my head, John Archer, Derren Brown, Dan Sperry, Zenneth Kok, Paul Harris.

4. No idea... The funnest trick is... um... Angle Zero i guess. Everyone thinks im Satan but I'm laughing at how simple and easy that was.

5. There is a split second when I do feel the same. When i was Laymen, it used to be HOLY CRAP WHAT???? for a day or so, then I try to figure it out with the stupidest of explanations. Now it is HOLY CRAP WHAT???? for a minute or so. then HE DID THAT SO NICELY! then GOTTA WATCH THAT PRESENTATION AGAIN! then HOWD HE DO THAT! so there is a moment when I am my old laymen

6. Yes i am free. *wink wink*

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results