When will we be seeing more mentalism from theory11?

Apr 9, 2008
Singapore
Yeah only Daniel and Wayne does mentalism.

If other theory11 artists start learning mentalism, that would be cool. Imagine both Dan and Dave surrounding a spectator and talking to him/her. That would drive the spectator nuts! :)

Im not really sure about Daniel being a mentalist. Wayne yes but Daniel(Madison right!?) is defenently not a mentalist. His effects are not related(most of them) to mentalism. I would really like to see DB here but then again not because he would not fit in.

In my opinion Mentalism is very hard to teach to a magician. Like a magician would peak at a card but a mentalist would just look at the bottom card like nothing´s wrong.

I would like to see some mentalism but then something what has nothing to do with cards. Everyday objects would be great ;)

Sep 1, 2007
Im not really sure about Daniel being a mentalist. Wayne yes but Daniel(Madison right!?) is defenently not a mentalist. His effects are not related(most of them) to mentalism. I would really like to see DB here but then again not because he would not fit in.

In my opinion Mentalism is very hard to teach to a magician. Like a magician would peak at a card but a mentalist would just look at the bottom card like nothing´s wrong.

I would like to see some mentalism but then something what has nothing to do with cards. Everyday objects would be great ;)

You mean David Blaine?

Daniel dosen't need to peak a card. He has photographic memory. And I doubt that Derren Brown will ever come here. He makes too much money and choose the best kind of magic carrer. T.V magic. Why would he want to sell products to kids on this site who at first get hyped up and start praising him, then once it's released start complaining on how it's been used before and all that B.S.

I guess your right about DB but im not talkin about that dM uses the peak but it just was an example i picket up on an R.Osterlinds DVD. Its the whole consept that a mentalist dosen´t care about how to see the card or how to ditch the deck he just watches the card or puts the deck away and period.

But thats only my opinion. And if dM really does mentalism then im sorry about talkin about something i dont know S. about. I just didn´t see anything rsembling mentalism in Dangerous, i think he is more a Slight Of Hand guy than a mind guy but what the heck do i know :) Sorry again if im talkin about something i dont know S. about...

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
I guess your right about DB but im not talkin about that dM uses the peak but it just was an example i picket up on an R.Osterlinds DVD. Its the whole consept that a mentalist dosen´t care about how to see the card or how to ditch the deck he just watches the card or puts the deck away and period.

But thats only my opinion. And if dM really does mentalism then im sorry about talkin about something i dont know S. about. I just didn´t see anything rsembling mentalism in Dangerous, i think he is more a Slight Of Hand guy than a mind guy but what the heck do i know :) Sorry again if im talkin about something i dont know S. about...

DM has released other material besides Dangerous. He's also working on pdf solely about Psychological Forces...

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
There are a few pieces of mentalism on Dangerous.

Bad Influence - uses one of the two biggest idea's in mentalism.

Role Play - Similar Idea as bad influence.

Heritage - It was inspired by Derron Brown.

Just because there is a mechanical method does not mean it isn't mentalism. A lot of old mentalism used incredible setups to achiece effects. You see Derron on TV doing some really really strange things. Yes a lot of it is based on suggestion, but so much of it isn't on the same side. He will often make people believe that they are working with him however he is well aware that he has to confuse the TV audience at home more than the people involved. Finally you don't know what goes on before the camera's start rolling and either do I. A lot of people on this board have taken shots at Criss Angel for using selective editing, however I am sure that Derron uses his fair share aswell. I actually do not mind camera editing because the pieces are made for TV and audience's are well aware nowadays that magic is not real and that Criss' A&E budget can afford him many things that require a huge setup. These audiences have often never seen magic with their own eyes, an ACR is strangely impressive to them. However when a magician sees an ACR there might be aspects that are nice and will be added to one's own routine however it is truly hare to get blow away by anything. If spectator's ask you to preform something they saw on Mindfreak Just hit them with sinful.

I know wikipedia is not the most reliable source for information but here goes:

Mentalism is an ancient performing art in which its practitioners, known as mentalists, use mental acuity, cold reading, hot reading, principles of stage magic, hypnosis and/or suggestion to present the illusion of mind reading, psychokinesis, ESP, precognition, clairvoyance or mind control.

Each one of the three effects listed from Dangerous can either be played off as precognition or mind control.

Back to the original topic nobody knows when Theory 11 will release more mentalism or if there are any plans to. In my opinion the best fit for a mentalist on the Theory 11 roster would be Sean Fields. He is putting out all his own material he is a mentalist and he is not tied to any company (like Jermay and Penguin). Plus he defiantly brings something new to the table.

We should not really assume things about others when we clearly don't know anything.

I admit it was kinda stupid of to assume that. I haven´t looked into dM that much. Im terribly sorry about that.

And we should get back to the topic.

EDIT:

D ICE R i know that mentalism isn´t only the power of suggestion and hypnosis etc. Heck im a mentalist, (have done it for quite some time now) and just i didnt see in my point of view that dM could be a mentalist but as it came out my gut was wrong so i apologize.

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
I've found that with a little creativity and pratter, a lot of effects can become a mentalism trick.

Believe is a perfect example of this. In one of his variations, Believe becomes a total mentalism trick. The orginial version can also become mentalism.

Although I'd personally like to see more mentalism stuff from T11, there has been effects that I've given a mentalism bent.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Mr.MadMan

I am a mentalist too and I find a lot of misconceptions about mentalism. So I am sorry if I came off a little harsh towards you.

I just hate listening to people talk about their knowledge on mentalism when their only experience is Sankey's 22 Blows to the head. And after re-reading your post I see you are not part of that group.

I would love to talk to your idea's on mentalism. I always enjoy listening to informed idea's.

p.s. Not to take a stab at Sankey or the DVD but it was a perfect example of a magician's thinking towards mentalism. Peeks still a useful tool but you are right a mentalist will just be very open with it and not really care too much whereas a magic will justify why they are peeking the card.

Sep 2, 2007
London
I reckon there are some mentalism techniques that would really fit in here. If you're a sleight-of-hand purist, like me, then I would have thought you'd find billet work fascinating and an interesting challenge, and the presentational skill required to sell the idea of mind-reading makes useful study whatever your magical interest.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
Can we all stop abbreviating everyone's names? It takes a whoppin' ten seconds to type it out. Do so, and avoid confusion.

As for mentalism, I don't mind so much. I don't find myself wanting to perform too many mentalism effects.

If, however, you do, might I suggest looking at Luke Jermay's work, most of which is available at Penguin Magic?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results