Where can I learn this effect?

Jan 27, 2018
The magician produces any card the spectator names from a shuffled deck. I believe it's in Lennart Green's Masterfile, but is this effect published anywhere in print? I personally want to get into the habit of learning from books over videos.

Sep 20, 2009
That can be produced using a verity of 'techniques' depending on how clean, and how you want it to look if you have a memorized stack would be the most direct way, memorized stack, and a control/production

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
This is often not addressed as a self contained trick, but most good books on general stack work will explain this. Any and/or all of the books mentioned below are recommended.

I would certainly imagine this is covered in Mnemonica (Tamariz), though I seem to have misplaced my copy.

Page 223 of Simply Simon by Simon Aronson ,who also gives Expert at the Card Table (page 180) and Hugard's Encyclopedia of Card Tricks as references in a footnote.

Pit Hartling covers this as a utility move on page 56 of In Order to Amaze.

Page 60 of Patrick Redford's Temporarily Out of Order offers a bit of additional general insight though not framed as directly producing the named card.

Jan 27, 2018
This is often not addressed as a self contained trick, but most good books on general stack work will explain this. Any and/or all of the books mentioned below are recommended.

I would certainly imagine this is covered in Mnemonica (Tamariz), though I seem to have misplaced my copy.

Page 223 of Simply Simon by Simon Aronson ,who also gives Expert at the Card Table (page 180) and Hugard's Encyclopedia of Card Tricks as references in a footnote.

Pit Hartling covers this as a utility move on page 56 of In Order to Amaze.

Page 60 of Patrick Redford's Temporarily Out of Order offers a bit of additional general insight though not framed as directly producing the named card.
Thank you for the list of resources! I did assume this "card production" was related to stacked decks, but I revently saw a performance of fhe magician letting the spectator shuffle the deck, then he still produces named cards from that shuffled deck. I guess that really blew my mind. Thank you!

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
Thank you for the list of resources! I did assume this "card production" was related to stacked decks, but I revently saw a performance of fhe magician letting the spectator shuffle the deck, then he still produces named cards from that shuffled deck. I guess that really blew my mind. Thank you!

Well I can't be exactly what happened in the performance you saw (though it sounds like you are talking about the Lennart Green performances), but these books do discuss how you can let the spectator shuffle and still reach the same results. Pit Hartling (page 43) teaches the Rosetta Shuffle by Lennart Green that is also used and taught on Masterfile. He (Lennart Green) also uses an additional technique which is taught in Card College. If you have that it is in the index under Green, though you will find this is not taught until volume 4.

Regardless, if you familiarize yourself with the references in the previous posts and Card College you will be able to do what you seek. Really the answer is 'learn lots of card magic' and the way to do that is Card College and for stack work, the above mentioned books (plus others by Aronson). My favorite is that Pit Hartling one (which discusses spectator shuffles), but you should probably start off with either Mnemonica or Simply Simon.

You could just get Masterfile, but you will be better off spending the $150 on books.

Reactions: RealityOne
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results