Where to Start?

Aug 9, 2008
Hey I'm new to this site, and magic in general, and I was wondering if anyone had some tips on where to start? Does anyone have tips on how to practice (making sure people cant see you do certain moves) and does anyone have any tips on how to work on passes and double lifts?

Any help is appreciated in advance... thanks

May 24, 2008
Get The Royal Road To Card Magic, It is very inexpensive and has a goldmine of material.

May 22, 2008
Get The Royal Road To Card Magic, It is very inexpensive and has a goldmine of material.

I second that!! I am reading through it now and simply put, for card magic it is one of the best places to start out. I would also recomennd getting Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. If you like coins, then definatly get Bobo's Modern Coin Magic: Another BIBLE for coin magic!!! Pick these up and practice! It will seem frustrating many moves are tough for me (as i am a beginner), but through practice and persistence any move can be done.

Good Luck!

Apr 9, 2008
Singapore
If you're a card guy, go for either Card College Volume 1-5 or The Royal Road To Card Magic.
If you're a coin guy, go for Bobo's Modern Coin Magic.
All these books are great investments.

Practice in front of a mirror to make sure that your angles are correct. Don't give up if you can't do a sleight, just keep practicing.

Here's a link for beginners: http://www.theory11.com/beginners.php Hope it helps.:)

Jun 20, 2008
I agree with everyone who has said Royal Road to Card Magic - you can probably get it for about eight bucks at a book store or even check it out of a library. Practice in front of a mirror and take it slow - better to do a couple of things well than to do a whole book's worth of material poorly :) (despite how much i try to remember this, i still catch myself falling into the same trap almost every day!)

You have a lot of great suggestions for material, so I'll answer your second question about practice.

One of the biggest things you can learn to do right is to not stare at your props and/or your hands. Your audience will look where you look, and if you're performing sleight-of-hand, you will generally want them looking at you (ie, your face) rather than your hands at critical moments.

Often, I see newcomers working a trick and they put every ounce of their own attention on their hands. Bad form.

If you have a live, helpful audience, great! Play for them and ask for feedback. If not, welcome to the world most of us live in, where your reflection becomes your pal.

Here's a tip: when practicing sleights, either sit in front of a full length mirror or get close to whatever mirror you have and focus on your hands only. Make sure it looks right, etc. THEN, when you're ready to practice your performance, back up and literally perform for yourself. Look yourself in the eye when you want to make eye contact with people. Feel what your magic is like when you perform it, rather than simply "doing it." Most of all, have fun.

You're creating two practice worlds; one for fine tuning and one for performing. It's helped me.

It's late for me, I'm wiped, I'll leave it here for now.

Best,
Pj

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
First off, welcome to Theory11.

Ok, like everyone else said, Royal Road to Card Magic is a great place to start. I also suggest you check out Expert Card Technique as well.

If you like dvd's more, then i recommend Born to Perform by Oz Pearlman.

Aug 9, 2008
thanks for all of the quick responses... it looks like a good place to start is with the royal road to card magic... ill take a look at it.
also, thanks for the advice to practice in front of a mirror.

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
If you have some money to dish out, I recommend Card College 1-5.

I heard many things about Royal Road to Card Magic, but I had some extra money saved up and I got those instead. Best books I have ever bought(card wise that is)

It's basically a sleight encyclopedia!

I'm probably the only person who does card magic that does not own Royal Road.

Jun 13, 2008
Tacoma, WA
If you have some money to dish out, I recommend Card College 1-5.

I heard many things about Royal Road to Card Magic, but I had some extra money saved up and I got those instead. Best books I have ever bought(card wise that is)

It's basically a sleight encyclopedia!

I'm probably the only person who does card magic that does not own Royal Road.

I don't own Royal Road either. I started with Crash Course 1 from Ellusionist and the first book of Card College and still turned out good. I do still plan on getting Royal Road and the rest of Card College, but even without them, I am advancing at a good rate.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hey, welcome to magic first off!

As far as practice goes, here's another suggestion:

Firstly, practice the move in front of a mirror for a while, then go and practice for a camera or a wall, where you can't see yourself - that way you won't be relying on the mirror to help you execute sleights, since you naturally get used to the mirror.

The other thing is, practice the effect, go through the entire trick. Get to the end, and start again, but this time, instead of doing a move, do what you would be doing if you weren't doing a move - for example, if your trick is as follows: spectator takes a card, returns it to the middle, you do a pass to bring it to the top, take a double lift to show that it's not their card and then do a colour change into their card, practice that. Then when you're done, do the same thing, except instead of the pass, just square up the deck. Instead of then taking the double, just take a single card. Instead of doing a colour change, just wipe the single card. Of course you won't find the original card, but it'll get you used to the motions, what you're supposed to be doing in the spectator's mind.

Sep 1, 2007
^^^ That's a great way to practice.

Passes and Double Lifts are easy ones to practice though, because you can just do them while watching TV though, a pass is a difficult sleight but the time will fly as you practice it.

Sep 1, 2007
Royal Road is a great, economical place to start. I would also strongly recommend Greg Wilson's "Double Take" DVD - it's probably the best resource out there dedicated to the double lift and there's also a lot of tricks included for you to learn; from very basic beginner's tricks (which are still good, make no mistake!) to intermediate and even a touch of advanced material. You'll keep on coming back to it for YEARS to come. You'll also get instruction on the sleights required to execute the tricks obviously, including some important techniques like the Elmsley Count.

Another feature in its favour is that you get to see a consummate professional like Greg Wilson performing for an audience - by studying his performance, going back and forth between the performance and explanations, you can learn a lot about how to apply the tricks to a live audience.

Best of luck,
David.

Apr 28, 2008
I also recommend Royal road to card magic. However, I think it's helpful to have a DVD as well when your first starting so you can see exactly what the basics look like.

I would suggest either Born to Perform by Oz Pearlman, at Penguinmagic.com or Crash Course 1 at Ellusionist.com

You may also want to take a look at Card Fundamentals Part 1 and 2 by Aaron Fisher available here in the 1 on 1 section.

Start of with the 1-on-1 "Death to the Double Undercut" and when people say the Double Udercut is good, tell them that they are wrong.

On a serious note :p, get Royal Road, or what i did was go to the library and borrow some books on magic tricks, and learn some... they are a good guide for beginners.. u might suprise yourself by finding Royal Road there too :p.

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
I've found that if you really cannot do something (bloody Le Paul!), don't waste 24 hours practicing it.

Practice something else that you're getting nearer to and that you will use, then the other things will start to work as well.

Practice while doing other stuff, like watching tv.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Practice while doing other stuff, like watching tv.

In my experience- this is usually a bad idea, simply because you are focused on the TV Show, and not what's going on in your hands. So if you're doing the move wrong, you'll never know, and build up your muscle memory doing the wrong thing. Just a thought...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results