Which book should I buy?

Dec 31, 2007
Massachusetts
Which book should I buy? Not so much as really learning magic, just someones life in magic, this should get me more inspired and read in my free time. Something like a biography or something. Any great recommendations? :(

Thanks for your time,
Brian

Sep 1, 2007
Well I have the book Hiding the elephant by Steinmeyer I really like it it's about history of illusions. NOt really magic more illusions, so you have to make your choice on that, but I really like the book. It's only not with cards or so.

Nov 2, 2007
I got Hiding The Elephant from the library. I also picked up biography about Chung Ling Soo by the same author. Save your money for Guardians and effects, and go to your library.

Sep 1, 2007
Mysterious Stranger is a good book. It's David Blaine's autobiography, and in my opinion is very inspiring. David tells you how he started as someone no one knew about, and how he pushed himself on and on until what he is today, a performer known world-wide. Throughout the book is also history on magic, talking bout people like Harry Houdini etc, and also some simple effects. It's a pretty decent read.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Estonia
I advice you to read books like Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz and Design Miracles by Darwin Ortiz because when you are interested in magic you should know that the performance is the key of that art and these books will help you to make your own style and performance. :) History books about magic are good to. ;) Go to google and search for magic books is best advice. Then you can decide yourself what you want to read. Hope its help you! ;)

Kevin.

Dec 14, 2007
Benson by Starlight is one of the best magic books to be written in years. It is expensive, but reading it will make you a better magician - even if you don't learn a single trick in it!

There are stage tricks, parlor tricks, and sleight of hand tricks. One of the coin moves was recently "claimed" by a well known young magician to be his invention. It's not. But it was the one move in his lecture to get audible gasps. Had he understood Benson's entire routine, then he would have gotten even more.

There is so much great magic, theory, and history in this book. It is well worth your study.

The best magic biography ever written (in my opinion) is Carter the Great by Mike Caveney. Hard to find, but an amazing read.

There is a new book of fiction out called "Mr. Sebastian and the Negro Magician" by Daniel Wallace. (He wrote "Big Fish.) Touching story, magic related.

And if your tastes run to the darker side, check out "Geek Love" by Katherine Dunn or the classic of classics "Nightmare Alley" by William Lindsey Gresham.

pick up Dai Vernon: A Biography by David Ben. It's a great read, and David Ben is a great writer. Really motivational. Also go find books other than magic books to inspire you, i do it all the time and it works great.

Jan 7, 2008
Check "The Magical Life of Long Tack Sam" by Ann Marie Fleming. This is an easy read and this guy was a pioneer in showmanship. I'm looking for the documentary of this as well (If anyone knows where to find the film, I found out it did appear several times on IFC). This guy went all over the world, met and even taught celebraties (i.e. Orson Wells), perfomed even throught both world wars, and refused to compromise himself to Asian steriotype even though Hollywood offered him great money. It was done in a journal/ scrapbook/ comic book format. I picked it up by browsing, and read this sucker in one sitting! You don't read this, you're just not cool!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results