Which pass do you like the best?

Jul 21, 2008
Ohio
I don't use a pass. Why make more work for yourself if its not necessary? Why jump off the roof, instead of take the ladder? Unless you have a perfect pass, which I find to be impossible, whats the point? I'd rather just double undercut the selection to the top. Or just hold a break above the selection and cut the top stock to the table.

Mar 29, 2008
I don't use a pass. Why make more work for yourself if its not necessary? Why jump off the roof, instead of take the ladder? Unless you have a perfect pass, which I find to be impossible, whats the point? I'd rather just double undercut the selection to the top. Or just hold a break above the selection and cut the top stock to the table.

you put a card in the middle, cleanly place the other half on top, square the deck, and the card is on top without them suspecting or seeing a thing. The double undercut, you place the card in the middle, then for some reason you do two cuts and its on top.

Yeah, I'll stick with my pass.

Jul 21, 2008
Ohio
you put a card in the middle, cleanly place the other half on top, square the deck, and the card is on top without them suspecting or seeing a thing. The double undercut, you place the card in the middle, then for some reason you do two cuts and its on top.

Yeah, I'll stick with my pass.

Yeah, thats all and well. But then theres the other 75% of the magicians that when they pass they do a suspicious up and down rocking motion. Example. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxqjngiq0eM Why would you stick their card in the middle then do this?

Nov 18, 2008
CA
Yeah, thats all and well. But then theres the other 75% of the magicians that when they pass they do a suspicious up and down rocking motion. Example. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxqjngiq0eM Why would you stick their card in the middle then do this?

I completely agree with you. Many Youn00bs will post a video of their Classic pass after they have had an hour of practice.
When you practice the move for years and use a little misdirection, I find it to be more deceptive. I never use a pass when someone is burning my hands. I think many people under-estimate how easy it is to obtain even a second of eye contact. That one second is when the pass should be executed. If you practice enough it will become a "go-to" move.
However, in some situations the pass is simply not the right way to go. Many other controls can work just as well in the right situation. I just find myself using a pass the most often. That is all.

Jul 21, 2008
Ohio
I completely agree with you. Many Youn00bs will post a video of their Classic pass after they have had an hour of practice.
When you practice the move for years and use a little misdirection, I find it to be more deceptive. I never use a pass when someone is burning my hands. I think many people under-estimate how easy it is to obtain even a second of eye contact. That one second is when the pass should be executed. If you practice enough it will become a "go-to" move.
However, in some situations the pass is simply not the right way to go. Many other controls can work just as well in the right situation. I just find myself using a pass the most often. That is all.

Yeah. I'm not saying anyone is wrong. I'm just trying to prove my point. Myself included, magicians give laymen too much credit. They don't know what double lifts and passes are. A select few know what palming and such is, which shocked me. But for the most part they are totally in the dark. But why give them any reason for suspicion? Thats why I don't use a pass. They don't know about false cuts, and if they do they call it a fake cut. If they think you did one, all you need to do is a simple double lift to show that their card is lost in the pack.

Nov 18, 2008
CA
Yeah. I'm not saying anyone is wrong. I'm just trying to prove my point. Myself included, magicians give laymen too much credit. They don't know what double lifts and passes are. A select few know what palming and such is, which shocked me. But for the most part they are totally in the dark. But why give them any reason for suspicion? Thats why I don't use a pass. They don't know about false cuts, and if they do they call it a fake cut. If they think you did one, all you need to do is a simple double lift to show that their card is lost in the pack.

That works just as well. Again it really just depends on the situation you are in. I think it's important to be comfortable with different controls so you don't end up stuck(angles or something) or having repeat the same control for the same audience. (because you only know one control) That can become suspicious. I say just use the controls you like the most.

Nov 16, 2007
The Thompson Pass ~ Frank Thompson
The Silent Half Jiggle Pass ~ Derek Dingle
The Spread Pass ~ Paul La Paul

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
thanks again, anything i should work on? or if you recognize it? here, if you missed it or are lazy.

Would you stop bragging abot your pass? hehe just kidding you have an awesome pass and i wish mine was half as good as yours but as others said its so easy to misdirect the audience so the move becomes invisible.

I forgot to mention that i love the sleeves up pass.it's not really a pass but ...anyway ...... i have also just started using the classic pass because its fast and i always misdirect so it is great.And finally i will use a turnover pass when the effect i perform reqquires to turn the deck over.
Thats all

George

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results