Which will I get more out of?

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Um
they are basically the same
I have 5X5 and i love it
there are cards, coins, paper, and a lot of other little tid bits.
I expect the same for New Magic.
It is definately worth the money, but only if you appreciate the type of magic they teach.
if you only want cards and coins, then i dont really recommend it

PTG

Jun 15, 2008
In a cave.
Hey, I have a review for 5x5 Japan and I figured you'd want to take a look at it. Here ya go. :D (btw it isn't me that reviewed it)

Five Times Five Japan

The Story-

Well, a couple weeks ago my step-mother asked me what I would like her side of the family to get me for Christmas... I told her that I would like Five Times Five Japan. So we drove to her parents' house, and when it came time to open presents... I got my book! I was very excited, and I've just briefly read through it, but it is by far the best book regarding magic that I have.

Overview-

In this book, there are five magicians, and each magician added five effects to the book. So yes, there are only twenty-five effects in this book, but they are all fantastic. So I will briefly describe each effect, and what I think of it, then move on, as I imagine this might get a little lengthy.

Masao Atsukawa-

Four by Four-

This effect is a two-part Coins Across. The first time the coins all travel at once, and then the second time one by one. This effect uses a sleight I've never come across before (of course, I'm not much of a coin guy... more cards for me), but it happens right in front of the spectator's nose, and yet they don't see it.

Like I said before, I'm not much of a coin guy, but I think this effect is ok. I'm sure coin guys will love it... I mainly bought this book for the card stuff.

Four From Nowhere-

While attempting to make a coin travel from his left hand to his right, Atsukawa discovers that the coin has vanished from his left hand, into which he placed it a moment earlier, and appeared on the left side of the table. He looks at it with a mixture of horror and surprise, then picks it up Upon glancing down at the table, he sees that a second coin has appeared. When he picks this coin up, he glances down and sees that a third coin has appeared. When he lifts the third coin, a fourth coin appears.

I actually really like this effect, even though I'm extremely inexperienced with coins, and it will probably take a lot of practice for me to do it, I think for a coin guy it will be fairly easy to perform. But, and I'm sure you'll be tired of hearing this by the end of the review, I'm no coin guy, so I honestly wouldn't know.

Propelled Chinese/Silver-

This is a pretty simple and straightforward effect where a Chinese Coin turns into a silver coin, and back again, then back into a Chinese Coin. It uses The Bullet, and although I'm sure it's a great effect, I don't personally care for it.

Fabric Through Pasteboard-

In front of a large group, the magician holds a black silk in one hand, and a jumbo card in the other., He places the silk in front of the card, then reaches around to the other side of the card and picks at it for a moment. All of a sudden, the silk is sucked through the center of the card, as if through a black hole. The magician pulls the silk back and forth through the card, then hands out both the card and the silk for examination.

You will need to make the gimmick for this effect, but it shouldn't be too awful hard. I do believe, though, that once you get it made, not only will it last you for as long as you need it, but the effect will look absolutely marvelous. This effect is really about the presentation, and really isn't that hard to perform.

The Knotted Letter-

The magician displays a long piece of paper tied in a know. It is explained that, in Japan, this was the traditional way of sending a love letter because of the special power it has. He slowly opens the know, then ties it again. With just a wave, the knot magically disappears. The magician ties the knot again, and places the letter back in his pocket.

I can't really see myself performing this effect, although I do believe it has the potential to be a truly great experience, and also has a great opportunity for awesome patter and presentation. It may take a while to correctly tie the paper, but once you get it, it should last you quite a while.

Tomo Maeda-

Ambitious Clip-

This is for use solely as your Ambitious Card Routine, or just as an ending. You display the signed card, and attach a paperclip to the side of it. It is then placed in the center of the pack, and with a wave of the hand... yes, one hand, the card, with the paperclip still on it, comes to the top. You then place the card in the center of the pack, remove the paperclip, have an audience member push in the card, and place the paperclip onto the top card. The top card is then turned over and found to be the signed selection.

I'm pretty sure that this is the only card effect in the book that doesn't require a gimmick. All you need is a paperclip, a signed card, and an audience willing to be immensely entertained. After reading the effect and explanation, I immediately added it to the end of my ACR.

New Era Moving Pips-

The magician spreads the cards between the pack and has a card selected... the 8 of Diamonds. It is returned to the pack, and the pack is returned to the box. The magician then informs the audience that earlier in the day he placed a prediction where nobody could find it... in the cellophane wrapper of the card case. It is turned over, but it is the 6 of Diamonds, not the 8. However, with just a little wave, two of the pips on the 6 move, and it visually changes into the 8.

This is honestly the reason I bought this book... but I got so much more out of it! But back to the effect. It obviously requires some setup, but once you do it you'll be good to go for quite a while. If you think you have an idea of how to do it... you're probably wrong. My first thought was completely wrong, and I was floored when I read the method. This effect, I think, is worth the cost of the book alone.

Match Transposition-

The magician opens up a matchbook and openly removes a single match. He strikes it against the matchbook, lighting it. He blows it out, and it suddenly changes into a whole row of unlit matches. When the matchbook is opened, a single burned match is discovered inside.

I really like this effect, but I don't have a matchbook to practice with, so I'll have to get my hands on one, practice... and start performing! I really like the "open deceptiveness" of this effect, and how visual it is.

BoxBack-

The deck is removed from the case, which is further placed into the magician's pocket. The deck is spread and the four Aces are outjogged and removed. The magician explains that he'll show them an effect with the four Aces, in a moment, but he wants to do something else first. He does a color change, changing the top card. But then he takes it further and decides to start all over again. And with just a wave of his hand, the deck is once again surrounded by the box, which is removed and again placed in the pocket.

I simply love this effect. Yes, it requires preparation... but it's worth it. I love how you can openly handle the deck, and there's no stiffness or anything. Very open and surprising effect.

Pieces of the Future-

A cardcase is removed from the magician's pocket, and the audience is asked if they want to see a card trick. If they say no, the magician says good and removes a red balloon from the box. If they say yes, the magician says sorry and pulls a red balloon from the box. He blows up the balloon, and pops it with an ice pick. When the balloon is popped, a deck appears in the magician's hand. He spreads through the cards, and has one removed (8 of Hearts in this case), which is shown around, then lost in the deck again. The deck is put away, and through various presentations, it is revealed that two pieces of the popped balloon form an "8" and a heart.

This effect doesn't require a whole lot of setup, but, as you can tell, it is not really suited for the school environment where most people on here, including myself, perform, because you have to have something sharp to pop the balloon with. Obviously, you could use a pencil or something, but you also need a jacked to perform this effect. So if you want to perform this effect at school... think again. Apart from that, though, there is a tad bit of preparation in which you obviously have to cut out the pieces of the balloon to form the "8 of Hearts", but it's really not that hard of an effect. It combines a lot of random elements to make a really neat effect.

Stanley Collins Meets Corinda-

This effect is a really long one, so I won't go over all of it, but, in brief, four rubber bands, one at a time, switch from one finger (which the spectator is hanging on to) to the other... while their eyes are closed, naturally. I really don't care for this effect, and that's why I'm being so brief on it. If someone wants to post a more indepth "explanation" of what the effect looks like, feel free to do so.

PTG

Jun 15, 2008
In a cave.
The Mystery of Width-

In this effect, one bill is wrapped around another, which is folded into quarters lengthways. However, when it is pushed through, it comes out on the other side considerably wider.

I like this effect... no gimmicks, looks good, impromptu. Everything that constitutes a good effect, IMO.

Cocktail Bill Penetration-

Here, a bill is folded in a way so that you can only see the portrait. It is then unfolded, only to be refolded again, except this time with a napkin covering the portrait. A pen is borrowed, and clearly shoved through the dollar and the napkin. However, when it is unfolded, there is no hole in the dollar.

I absolutely love this effect. I think it's 10 times better than the Stealth Pen, because it's impromptu, with no gimmicks. It reminds me a lot of Jay Sankey's "Dough", and I really can't tell you which one is better because I don't own Dough, but I've heard great reviews of it. But I do really enjoy this effect.

Ken Kuroki-

The Talisman-

The magician explains that he's always a little nervous when performing card tricks, so he carries a talisman with him. A card is revealed to be stapled onto the front of the box. It is briefly lifted up and shown to be the Joker. A card is then selected, and returned to the pack. The deck is put in the box, and the card in the staple is then revealed to have turned into the selection.

I really enjoy this effect, even though, like a lot of the other effects in this book, the setup is a little lengthy and time consuming. At first I thought I figured it out, but I was wrong. The method is pretty genius, and pretty clean, as well.

Illusion Box-

A matchbook is brought out, and inside are two matches right next to each other in the dead center of the matchbook. The matchbox is closed, and a piece of paper goes over the matchbook. A pen is then shoved through the paper, and when the audience speculates out loud that the pen just went inbetween the matches, the matchbook is opened up, and the two matches are now on opposite sides of the matchbook.

This one, I don't think, is as good as the rest of the material in the book. Yes, with the right presentation it can be absolute killer, but something about it just doesn't really "do it" for me. Maybe it's different for other buyers, though.

The Appearing Deck-

The magician opens up his wallet, and inside is an empty part of a card case, which is missing all the sides but one. The back is also missing, and what remains of the cardcase has been completely flattened. It is removed from the wallet, and both sides are displayed- the back is just plain white. The wallet is set aside, and with just a squeeze a back and sides appear on the case. And inside is a deck.

This effect, for a magician, is pretty easy to figure out, and will be that way to anyone without the right presentation. However, I think it can be a very visually stunning and appealing effect if played out properly. The only problem I have with it is that you need a longer wallet, and I just have a standard, black, leather wallet, so the card case won't fit it mine. But if you have a longer wallet... go for it!

Kuniyasu Fujiwara-

The Card Machine-

At the fingertips of the magician is the Joker from a blue-backed pack of Bicycles. The magician explains that it has a purpose most people who buy a deck of cards would never dream of. He points out that the ends of the extra Joker are bent upward at right angles, and he places it under the deck, perpendicular to the cards, so that it "cradles" the deck. He says he will demonstrate the ability of this "machine" to alter the form of cards using a regular card as an example. He turns over the top card of the deck, the Joker, and removed. The deck is placed aside and the Joker is placed inside the bent extra Joker at right angles to it so it protrudes from both ends. The entire unit is turned over and the ends of the face down Joker are seen. The card is shifted back and forth and suddenly it grows to almost double its original length. It is slowly squeezed back to its original size and then it instantly and visibly changes color.

I love this effect, and apparently, according to the reaction of Ton Onasaka (who screamed "OH!" and almost knocked Kaufman out of his chair), it is a very hard hitting effect. However, due to the brief amount of time that I have owned this book, and my lack of free time today, I haven't been able to make the effect. But I will be sure to get right on it.

The Joker Takes a Ride-

A card is selected, memorized, and returned to the deck. The cards are shuffled, and the magician brings out a Joker and places it face up on top of the face-down deck. He says the Joker will find the chosen card. The outer end of teh deck is riffled and the Joker vanishes from atop his bicycle, the back of the next card clear visibly beneath. The inner end of the deck is riffled, and the bicycle vanishes, as well! The Joker is dealt off and given to the spectator, who verifies that the Joker and his bicycle have vanished from the card, leaving a whole. The deck is cut several times and the Joker on his bicycle is discovered resting on top of a card... the previous chosen selection!

This is another one of those effects that I viewed online and had to have. It just got better when I found out that it was in Five Times Five Japan... the book that I was already planning on purchasing! I was at first nervous that the method would use something silly like a Riffle Pass... but it is nothing like that at all. Once you create the "gimmick", you're good to go for pretty much the rest of your life. This effect looks brilliant, and is awesomely simple to perform.

Soft Spots-

In this effect, a card is freely chosen from a shuffled deck, noted, and returned. The magician shuffles the deck to lose the card and explains that every deck has a few "soft spots", but, naturally, they're hard to find. However, he has a device that makes it easier; a "Soft Spot Finder". He brings out a sheet of plastic the same size of a card which has a whole in its center. He places this on top of the deck, and hands a pencil to the spectator, who is instructed to shove it into the hole. He does, and it penetrates straight through the deck. The magician pulls the deck sharply inward and it passes off the pencil, leaving only one face-down card till impaled. The deck is turned over to show that there is, in face, no hole, and the single card on the pencil is turned over to reveal the selected card.

To be honest with you, I really don't care for the effect. It's cool and all, but I really don't want to take the time to make the gimmick. Call me lazy ,but I don't think it's worth it. Maybe you will, maybe you won't... who knows?

Lie Detector-

The magician displays a long and narrow manila envelope which, he says, contains a prediction he placed in there earlier. He asks his spectator to remove a card from a shuffled deck (6 of Hearts), memorize it, and return it to the pack, where it is lost. The magi turns over the envelope to reveal that it has a cellophane window, through which are visible some indecipherable black lines. The prediction is removed, and it is seen to consist of several connected pieces of clear plastic with apparently random black lines on various spots, along with a few Heart pips. He explains that it is a lie detector, and it will determine the answers to some questions he is about to ask. He asks if the selection was a Heart, the spectator answers yes. The "prediction" is instantly folded to form the word "true." There are also 4 Heart pips arranged as if it were the Four of Hearts. The magi asks if the card selected was the 4 of Hearts... the spec says no, and the prediction is squeezed and the word "true disappears, and is replaces with the numeral six, but with four Heart pips. The magi asks if the card selected was the Six of Hearts, to which the spectator answers yes. The prediction is again squeezed, and the numeral is replaced with the word "true", this time surrounded by six Heart pips.

I would love to perform this effect, but as of right now, the construction of the "prediction" is much too time consuming for me to justify with the effect at this point... especially considering that I only perform for friends, family, and at school.

Hiro Sakai-

My Little Kaps-

Here, a copper coin and a silver coin repeatedly change places, and at the end change into four Chinese coins. Being a coin effect, this isn't really my thing, but I'm sure you coin guys out there will love it!

PTG

Jun 15, 2008
In a cave.
Imprisoned Rising Card-

A card is freely chosen from within the deck, memorized, and shown to the audience. The deck is placed into its cellophane-wrapped case, and the selected card is inserted into the center and pushed fairly flush. With a wave of his hand , the magi causes the chosen card to mysteriously rise from the center of the deck. The deck may be examined afterward and the case appears quite innocent.

This is one of the card effects in here that I'm not really a huge fan of. It's great, don't get me wrong, but the box is slightly gimmicked... and why use that when I have Schwing by Chris Kenner? There's really no reason to.

It Doesn't Fit!

A card is freely chosen; the King of Diamonds. The spectator signs or initials a small sticker and the magi places this onto the center of the chosen card, which is then lost in the deck. The magician hands the deck to the spectator and asks the spectator to put it into the box so a miracle can be performed- the chosen card, and only the chosen card, will leap high out of the box. The spectator takes the deck and tries to put it into the cardcase but surprisingly discovers that the box is too small and the cards won't fit. The magician takes the deck and spreads thorugh it, locating the signed King of Diamonds. He waves his hand over it and then slips it into the card case with no trouble. A moment later, the King flies out of the box, several feet into the air, and into the magician's hands.

I really enjoy the cleverness of this effect, and I'll probably use the "signing method" in other effects. Those of you who know how this effect works will know what I mean. I can't wait to perform this effect... it should be a lot of fun.

The Perfect Assistant-

The magician shuffles the deck and allows a card to be freely chosen and signed, losing it in the deck afterwards. This is repeated a second time, so two signed selections are lost in the deck. He brings out his wallet and opens it, removing two Jokers. He introduces them as his assistants, then says that he actually only needs one of them for this particular effect. One Joker is retained while the second is placed back into the wallet, which is closed afterwards and left on the table The magician uses the Joker to try and locate the selections by inserting it at various points into the outer end. Each "stab" fails. The magician becomes increasingly frustrated until hi eventually tears the Joker in half and tosses it, face down, onto the table. He apologizes and says he will use the other Joker because he is the perfect assistant. When the wallet is opened, half of each chosen card is seen laying inside. The pieces of the Joker are turned over to reveal the other two signed halves of the chosen card. Both Jokers have completely vanished.

This effect is simply incredible, but the setup and preparation for it is a pain in the rear end. It will take you at least 15 minutes to setup for this effect... much longer if it's your first time. You will also need a couple extra things to help you setup. However, I believe it is totally worth it, especially if it's an important performance. Oh, and the two halves of the cards that are in the wallet... that's one card, not two single halves.

The Flowing Pips-

An audience member selects a card, and it is placed face down on the table. The magician asks the spectator to name his favorite face card. These four cards, let's say the Queens are removed from the deck. Three blank cards are interlaced, face up, among the four face-down Queens. magically, instantaneously, faces (three Nines) appear on the blank cards. The spectator turns over the card chosen earlier and it is the fourth Nine. The magician explains that the printing of the Nines is not without cost to the Queens who have assisted him- he turns them over to reveal four Aces.

I really like this effect, and I plan on performing it as soon as I get my hands on some blank cards. Nothing else to really say about it.

Final Thoughts Before Hitting "Submit"-

Well, this is, simply put, an excellent book, and although there are a few things I probably won't perform, most of it is excellent, excellent material. I would have gladly forked over the $150 for this on Ebay before the reprinting it and never looked back. Also, if you want to see a visual of some of the effects in this book, do a search on YouTube... there is a video of some effects from this book, and some from New Magic of Japan (also on my list). Thanks for reading!

9.5/10

Enjoy! :D

-PTG

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Wow. You should post that in the reviews section. I don't have New Magic but 5X5 is very heavily gimmicked. If you're new to magic I wouldn't recommend it considering there's only so much card/coin work in there, but...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results