White Balance

Apr 1, 2009
California
You set yourself up with a nice camera and some nice editing software and even perhaps a nice lens, but somehow, your video still comes out looking less than kosher, but don't know what to do? Here's a very simple tip to help some of you out, that I can tell from first glance is missing from much of your videos. White Balance. This is an adjustment to your camera that allows the camera to record the same color that you see with your eyes. This will also help you out when it comes time to color correct later in the editing process. Most DSLRs that I have come across have this option and it seems to be what people here like to shoot with. All you have to do is get yourself a white piece of paper (I like to use my fridge even), just as long as it's a solid and flat white object. and take a picture of it in the lighting that you want your room to be. It may not come out white in the picture, but we'll get to that. Then, when you go to your video mode, go to your menu settings and click White Balance. This should give you an option to select a picture from your "album" to base the adjustment off of, you want to select the picture you previously took. Once you've done this, you should notice that when you go back to the video recording screen, the color should be just right. You can find more information on white balancing with a quick google search, but I just wanted to give a quick tip.

Do take this advice into consideration when shooting your videos and you'll find drastic improvement in seconds.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results