Who am I?

Sep 17, 2008
This is how i have been feeling lately with my magic. I don't know what i like, or what other people like.

I am very new to magic and flourishing. i know i like xcm, even though i still don't know much, but i am practicing.

here is the deal.
I'm just a Russian, fat, 18 year old. im not like the kids on youtube that are crazy good lol. i wonder if im getting into it too late, but then again who cares.

the problem is just that when i think of effects that suit me, im blank. i have seen the work of many great magicians. And i just don't know. I'm trying to explain. Torn and restored stuff, mentalism, all the crazy stuff that what i call "eyeliner magicians" do.

I just watched some of "dangerous" being a flavor of the month, and the magic was awesome. but i just don't know if making a corner appear somewhere is my style. It just doesn't fit my image.

Maybe i have a misconception, but i just don't like gimmicks or anything. the only tricks that I actually like are gambling themed type stuff with maybe like cool kickers at the end. And i think these effects go great with some cool flourishes mixed in. BUT what I've noticed with these are they don't really impress! despite getting some reactions, it seems like spectators want to see a card torn, signed, changed, vanished, or stabbed. I enjoy tricks that catch people off guard and make them wonder how you played them. i love deck color changes for that reason.

Take distortion, an amazing trick! (my gimmick broke right away) I used to perform 2 card transpo all the time, and people LOVE it. its a classic. But if i whipped out that trick and visual changed it, i don't think anyone would be impressed. people know magic isn't real, and since i don't have any criss angel finesse, i know i just wouldn't sell it.

i just don't know! People give your input on this type of thing (assuming i made any sense)

and also maybe suggest some material for me. like i said, im new to this.

Final statement: I just don't think that some of the crazy new visual miracles fit my image, there is no room for jokes, surprises, or anything. But, is what i like, not what the spectators want to see?

May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
perhaps your type of magic doesnt suit the audience you perform for. It seems to me what you like is the Madison down to earth honest-sleight-of-hand. Choose your audiences and atmospheres instead of performing your style to lets say, big club parties or hyperactive teens, perform in a more intimate close up setting.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
It appears as though you favour the IMPLICIT over the EXPLICIT in magical effect.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I would suggest studying some mentalism. Most mentalism deals with the implicit effect rather than a visual cue. then, if you begin to develop a crush on the visual side, there is a lot of good 'visual mentalism', PK/TK displays or what have you.

GAmbling routines are very cool, but It is something that you need to have an apparent penchant for. For example, Steve Forte's gambling expose's are fantastic. Imagine A 15-16 year old guy doing the same thing. It wouldn't hit as hard, because Forte's age, demeanour, skill, finesse and obvious experience is what really sells the demonstration. So ask yourself, does this type of demo SUIT you? You seem to have a good idea of what suits your style, so I'm sure you'll go in the right direction!

Hope this helped.

CL

Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Be yourself dude. Part of that is knowing what tricks you enjoy watching. If you liked Angle Zero, then it might be a great trick for you to perform. Consider that, categorically telling yourself, "that trick's not for me" you might be inadvertantly "creating" a magic-image that isn't realistic for you; it very well may be a piece that you'd absolutely be able to pull off.

I'm like you and found that working non-gimmicked tricks work well for me. Triumph, oil and water effects, coins, Brad Christian's Vegas Card Cheat routine from Ninja 1. I'll tell people it's all sleight of hand, not supernatural, but to them it's Magic and Wonder in their reactions.

You might have to work on your patter, approach, and presentation to draw people in and make it interesting. If you have a great trick and getting "ho-hum" reactions, it MIGHT be technique... flashing the method, but more than likely, it's probably your showmanship, presentation and misdirection.

I remember seeing a forum post where a gentleman did a trick for spectator #1and the dude said, "I know how you did that...." and guessed right and called him on it. Guy changed his patter and presentation; performed for another person with spectator #1 watching, used the same method, and wowed and stumped everyone, including spectator #1, who never thought that he knew how the trick was done.

Next time you go on the net, find a great trick that's presented with no patter. It will tell you the trick's visual, and nonverbal, value. If you get it, perform it with patter, and it sucks, it's not the trick, it's you.

Just my 2 kanucks...

Sep 17, 2008
Well that is the thing, im just a hobbyist.
and i cant really carry a closeup mat, nor do i have a table all the time.

I just started college and we have lots of breaks, i spend an hour once a week in the cafe, i am itching to show my table of friends something. its a perfect thing. the booth wraps three sides of the table. so its like a real parlor. but i just don't know what i could show. and these are the people who do want to see something get lit on fire or ripped. But im sure they could appreciate anything.

just can't think of any effects.

by the way i like Joshua Jay's tricks, if thats any indication of my style. simple, and fun.

i never used to like mentalism, because it feels too phony, but then again it seems like it could be applied to me.

and this isn't just card magic. i would like to try a few different things.

I am just confused, it seems like i get better reactions for crazy mans handcuffs than i do for a card trick.

I just don't know what my style is. i respect every magician for theirs, and note how everyone is different, i just don't think that a lot of these cutting edge effects suit me, but if i don't tear a card up, people rule it off as a trick deck or a lame grandpa trick. LOL

Sep 15, 2008
Stick with Joshua Jay. He has some great stuff. You may want to look into picking up Sankey's Greatest Hits as that has some good stuff on it too that you may like. Hard-hitting magic that seems to fit your criteria.

As far as the "itching" to perform; do it! Especially if you're with a group of friends. Tell them straight up; you want to perform but your not they comfortable with it yet. You just want their opinion.

You'll find yourself easier the more performances you do...at least, I did.

Sep 17, 2008
thank you for the advice.
i am still working on nerves, but i don't want to hijack my own thread.
Do you guys think that you need an image for a certain style of effect?

Sep 17, 2008
true

another thing.

what am i supposed to do with cards. i have all the nice decks. guardians to ghosts, but they are all so gothy, i think i am one of the few that likes to take a regular bike deck with me. i use nice ones to practice so i have something nice to look at. LOL

i took my shadow masters out with me once and my best friend even told me that they are too dark for me. lol

Apr 28, 2008
No, that is regressive thinking, you should do the opposite- tailor the EFFECT to suit YOU.

CL

You should do this whenever possible, although sometimes I find that some effects just don't suit my performance style at all and it's best to just leave the effect and find another one.

Don't worry if you don't want to do Torn and Restored, Burning cards etc. I don't do any of this sort of stuff but still entertain people.

I think you would like the magic of Dan and Dave, Chad Nelson and Kevin Ho, it's very elegant and visual yet quite understated. Have a look at these trailers and see what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbFNHVt5Yqw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orNhhuQzh54

I enjoy tricks that catch people off guard and make them wonder how you played them. i love deck color changes for that reason.

You should be careful when doing tricks like this, you shouldn't do too many 'offbeat' effects where you catch the spectators off guard. After a while it gets a bit repetitive and it can become frustrating for the spectator instead of being entertaining.

Sep 17, 2008
AHHHHH
now i get it chris

i could take any effect and change everything about it, add patter, whatever to give it a lighter or comedic feel. i get it. and i never really thought of it that way.

Sep 17, 2008
yes, i forgot to mention

even though im a noob still i own the trilogy.
only problem is that im ALWAYS surrounded wherever i perform so alot of the tricks are useless. then again i gained alot from trilogy as well.

May 19, 2008
manchester
what about this...

okay imagine yourself, know make everything good about yourself, bigger, if your funny, your know hilarious... whatever, know think what kind of magic you like... so you say cheat routines... well know make a comedy routine with a theme of cheating with cards... and play along with it, see what happens. when you have a character you just chose the tricks you love and that fit your character... :)

Dec 14, 2007
First, the ability to look at yourself honestly and assess your strengths and weakness is a powerful tool. The very fact you realize that not all magic is "right for you" puts you light years ahead of most magicians. The good news is once you begin to figure out who you are and what DOES work for you, finding material becomes so much easier.

As to gambling routines - get Darwin Ortiz's Cardshark and Andrew Whimhurst's first set of lecture notes (I cannot recall it's name). There are some AMAZING routines in both of these books. They are well structured, and if you can pull them off presentationally and technically, you will knock anyone's socks off.

And I just wanted to add one more bit of support - this visual magic stuff is fine for the kids and all, but it fails to leave that deep indelible impression that mentally and emotionally arresting magic can. I know most here will disagree, but then again most here have not experienced the other side of the coin. I won't go into the debate here (though it would be interesting some other time). I just wanted to let you know that the fact that the stuff being sold today doesn't appeal to you is a good thing. Being unique will bring you more success than being a sheep. There is so much great magic out there, and most of it does happen in under 12 seconds and come as instant downloads.

If you really care about magic - study lots, find your own voice, and success will be yours.

Good luck.

Brad Henderson

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
I suggest you check out the work of Juan Tamariz, Michael Ammar, and Bill Malone. Their kind of effects may be what you are looking for.

If there's any guidance you would like with their stuff, shoot me a PM and I'd be glad to help.

-ThrallMind

Sep 17, 2008
thanks guys, getting quite a few great replies.

like i said, most of what i see being put out is black nail polish type magic. i just couldn't make water float in an upside down bottle. (lulz)

May 18, 2008
Ok. I know your problem.

You just haven't given it a chance. I have been doing magic for over 6 years now, and up until about my forth year, I felt the same way. I would perform, but the reactions weren't good and I didn't know who I was...

Eventually a character just clicked, and that is what I perform under. It is who I am. I do all types of tricks but I force them to fit my character.

Just stick with it, try everything out (even if it isn't your style) and you will find something eventually.

Hope that helps!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results