Who is the "Ultimate Authority in Magic Definitions"?

May 26, 2016
I saw in another thread debating the definition of a triumph trick and the OP, Antonio Diavolo (not sure how/if I can tag people), said:

Genii's magicpedia seems to imply that the act of shuffling the cards face up into face down and restoring them is what makes a triumph. I know they aren't the ultimate authority in magic definitions but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I was curious what the community (or the OP) thought should be the "ultimate authority in magic definitions"?

Please let me know if this has already been posted/discussed elsewhere!

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Genii is a pretty good resource. The creator or originator of a principle is also a good source oftentimes, though this can get messy when creators take credit for stuff that isn't theirs. Encyclopedic books like Royal Road, Expert Card Technique, Anneman's Practical Mental effects, and Tarbell are pretty good too. They at least offer a term and will then try to define it.

You want to write a magic dictionary?

Jan 19, 2016
An easy definition of magic is no easy thing.

It's nearly ubiquitous, and troubling to pin down to one thing, it seems. I believe the nature of definition itself needs be understood, and as such a respective effulgence of will may pertain.

Esotericism, and western mystery traditions make it 'hidden.' The eastern traditions define it clearly...as an incredibly difficult to master discipline.

Myself, I think it's easy to pick up, but difficult to master. An interesting question for sure.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results