Who is...

Dec 5, 2007
New York City
I just wanted to know who your favorite magicians are and why (explain)? Also, who are not your favorite magicians and why (explain)?

Feel free to discuss.

Jan 18, 2008
memphis,tn
My favorite is Greg Wilson just because he is AWESOME. But I also like all of te t11 artists. David blaine is great too, because he saved magic. Criss is keeping magic going.

Sep 1, 2007
hayashi, kostya kimlat, lee, kenner copperfield

prolly missed a bunch of my favs but yea

dnd, i like them more for their flourishes than magic

Sep 9, 2007
Just like cenafreak0709 said, Gregory Wilson is my favourite. Awesome performer, and I like his sense of humour.

Sep 1, 2007
What Steve Said regarding the current health of magic.

For entertainment value, I love to watch Tommy Wonder's DVDs or Bill Malone's. Best magician I've seen live has to be Mac King in Vegas. Tommy Wonder was the definition of "attention to detail" and the results of this are clearly evident when you watch his performance footage (I laughed and shook my head in disbelief at both the performance and explanation of his nested boxes trick). Bill Malone has to be one of the most incredibly entertaining magicians I've seen, and I've learned a lot about audience management from him.

My biggest influence when it comes to my own style is probably Greg Wilson though - I learned first from his DVDs and lecture notes and his performing style was the first I really studied. John Guastaferro's creative thinking is a big influence on how I approach my own magic, not to mention the fact that he put together one of my favourite ever tricks (Jazz Fusion). When I read Paul Cummins' FASDIU lecture notes for the first time I had a big smile on my face, because I'd found a resource which fitted exactly my requirements in terms of doing strong magic from a shuffled deck.

Dave Forrest published an effect called "Colour Burn" recently, which I have to say is possibly one of the single most magical looking tricks with playing cards that I have ever seen, and provided me with a climax to a colour changing deck routine that I've been obsessed with for years now. Just for that he makes it onto my favourites list.

David Regal is another firm favourite. Why? Because he's awesome. John Bannon for being so devilishly clever on so many levels - I mean seriously. Dead Reckoning? How much of a genius can you be? Oh, and Derren Brown - because he's Derren Brown. Wesley James for having exactly the right attitude when it comes to releasing material (in a nutshell - don't! Not until you retire from performing anyway...). David Williamson because he's truely unique on many, many levels.

And...and...and...

Aug 31, 2007
Canada
Criss: cool

Chris Kenner: Funny, invents cool tricks

David Blaine: First street magic

Bucks: awesome flourishes

Um, "First street magic," no, I'm sorry to say, well, not really sorry, there's nothing wrong with saying this, but "street" magic predates Blaine by quite some time, and I mean even predates his birth my friend.

Look up Busking, or just "street performers."

Sep 1, 2007
Canada
Um, "First street magic," no, I'm sorry to say, well, not really sorry, there's nothing wrong with saying this, but "street" magic predates Blaine by quite some time, and I mean even predates his birth my friend.

Look up Busking, or just "street performers."

If you're looking at the proper definition for "street magic" then you are correct. Unforunately, the definition has been warped into the revolutionary style of magic David Blaine introduced to the world... I think that we should all embrace this change, as there really isn't much we can do to stop it. There's no point in complaining and making other people feel small because they use the term incorrectly... It's not going to get us anywhere as a community.

Mac King. Shows that you don't need expensive illusions or expensive tricks to be a succesful performer who makes it far. His show is pure simplicity, but it is the most entertaining magic show I've ever seen. It's all about the patter, and I love that.

He also shows that to be a comedian, you don't need to have dirty or racist jokes(even though I like them). His comedy isn't childish, but is still appropriate for all ages. He can entertain adults and children at the same level.

And #3 he's a super nice guy. He lets you meet him after school. He'll sign whatever you want. His show is very affordable. You can have a quick chat with him. Great guy. He made stage magic entertaining for me again.

Sep 18, 2007
My favorite is Daniel Garcia. I relly like his style and he is HILLARIOUS! I like the tricks that he does, like Joe Blow (i get people with that all the time). Fallen is also and ingenious trick.

The Buck twins are a close 2nd. I like Dave a little more becaue I think comes off a little better on camera. The tricks that they do are amazing and the difficulty level is really high and they make it look so easy and fluent.

And my third is Kenner almost beasue of the same reasons. He is funny and I like the tricks he does.

Jan 27, 2008
My favorite magician? Robert Giobbi. Why? Because of his famous Card College series.

I treasure those books.

..:Z:..

Aug 31, 2007
Canada
If you're looking at the proper definition for "street magic" then you are correct. Unforunately, the definition has been warped into the revolutionary style of magic David Blaine introduced to the world... I think that we should all embrace this change, as there really isn't much we can do to stop it. There's no point in complaining and making other people feel small because they use the term incorrectly... It's not going to get us anywhere as a community.

Um, not really. all he did was bring it to the mainstream. He started nothing but a new found interest and fad focused on something that has been around fro a long time.

If you are really splitting hairs around the "presentation" of walking up to only a "few" people, instead of gathering a crowd, as in "traditional" busking, still, he did not start that either. He only brought a lot of media attention to it.

Hell, what he did on the streets was no different than what a lot of us did in school before his special even aired.

Not taking any credit away from him, it was a brilliant move. And he certainly was/is a better performer than most of us were in school.

Mind you, that was the source of a lot of peoples grudges with him, the simple fact that THEY were doing exactly what he was, and they were jealous that he was so big for doing it. I took it as reassurance in what I was doing.

Also, no, kids in school are also not the only ones doing this type of smaller scale busking before Blaine.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results