Why are there so few women in magic?

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
Many kids male and female get into magic at a young age. However magic is not an overly encouraged "thing" for girls to get into. Not only by their families but also by their peers. To this day many believe that girls can't be magicians... which is BS but whatever.

As anyone gets older, their interests shift. Males just tend to stay in magic because it's a male thing I think. Females are herded more towards boys and stuff. (Then again so are some guys but I digress)

One of my fave femme magi's www.mistylee.com she didna start until later in life. There is no pattern and there are more females in magic than you think. Many of them just don't palaver with the magical community as much.

Tho' while I believe that, to the untrained eye, being a female magician is a novelty and you will get hired because of it, you do have to move PAST that. Use it to your advantage sure, but ultimately show them yer more than breasts and a deck of cards.

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Who knows why there are more blokes in magic than women, but there are probably more women in magic than what at first appears.

I have read through and it seems like a couple of the ladies here have not had good experiences on other forums, and probably while chatting via messenger and out and about also, and obviously that is not fair.
I don't believe women should be treated any better for being in magic, and I don't believe they should be treated any worse... you (women) love this art and so should be able to discuss and be apart of it the same as anyone else, without others looking down on you or thinking they're better just because of sex.
Also it must be annoying when your talking about magic etc, and you get bombarded with things like 'got any pics...' 'you must be hot... along with various sexual inuendo etc.
Anyway... welcome to the forums and have fun. ;)

Nov 25, 2007
Cyprus
One thing that came to my mind when i was thinking about this is that i see many people when they first starts of does it to impress people and mostly females. But we females does not need magic tricks to impress you guys, we have other things.;)

You hit the "nail on the head" fridolina, with men its an ego thing. Mens egos are immense, where as women are more, more, lets say refined.:)

Christo

Sep 1, 2007
Florida.
Plain and simple: Womeen probably have better things to do.

Were as men, just do whatever we need to "impress" women.

Sep 9, 2007
doing anything to impress women is totally the wrong approach. I do things because i think they're fun. If you do them for any other reason, it's the wrong reason.

Personally I think it's kool that women dare to do what men have done for nearly, forever! I don't know why people are so sexist. I'm glad Theory 11 is doing what it does to you for everyone! It's just like a magicians home!:D

I haven't personally met any sexist people myself when it comes to keeping a woman from being a magician. Not to say that people are not sexist it's not the reason I'm sure cause men have their fair dose of hecklers and that hasn't stopped us from being magicians. I think its just a matter of a women's interest in magic keeping her from being a respected magician not sexist men. I respect someone for their capabilities and their personality.
Peace.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results