Why I do close-up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2007
I saw a magician tonight. He was a stage magician. He was old and past his prime.

He did a few appearances of doves, an appearance of a parrot, snowstorm, and (jesus) this finale set to 80's patriotic ballad, producing a crap-load of American flags.

It was painful to watch.

He was entirely "in character." He used the cheesey quips. It was out of the freakin' 80's.

Now, I get it, kid's performances are different from other magic, but god damn. No other word can describe what it that act was other than "artificial."

It was just so unnatural compared to most modern magic. I felt bad for the guy, I really did. Some kids were just wandering up on stage, and he was condescendingly asking them to please go sit back down.

I realize that this is why I do close-up magic. It's personal. It really gets into the spectator. I can just be natural.

Just goes to show, you've got to adapt to your audience, both within and outside of the show.

Personally, I don't think you should be criticizing the guy. He obviously is doing something right, in order to have made it that far and he does sound successful. It might have been wise of you to go up to him afterwards and maybe learn a thing or two instead of thinking that you're that much better.

As for the kids, I can't blame him. I'd probably be sick of both the parents and kids if they just allowed them to walk up on stage. You would think their parents would have more common sense than to allow that kind of behavior...but then again, in todays society nothing is that unusual anymore.

-Steve

Sep 1, 2007
I'm not trying to say he's bad at what he does--quite the opposite; he's been perfroming fro over 25 years. I'm saying that audience response to what he does was not great. I'm saying that I think the art of magic has evolved past pulling long ribbons out of arabian hats. Those things are still cool to see. I love watching that sort of stuff. I just didn't like the clothes it was wearing. I'm saying that here we have a case in which an old performer seems to not have taken note of his ever-changing audience.

Look at copperfield. His act is musch more modern than it was in the 80's.

(Or maybe it's just the shorter hair; I'm not sure)

Sep 1, 2007
I don't think its the material that he performed that was not appealing to you, but it was him as a person. I'm sure the same effects presented by someone "modern" would be a lot more interesting.

There's no nice way for me to put this but...

This is why I'm starting to not take criticism from other magicians (with the exception on a select few). It seems that if a magician likes my show, then it's terribly too complicated. If I get a good vibe from my audiences though, that's all that matters.

Word to the wise...don't take fashion advice from magicians. Get a few friends that are girls and take them shopping...at least that's what I do.

Best.
Steve

Aug 31, 2007
California
Word to the wise...don't take fashion advice from magicians. Get a few friends that are girls and take them shopping...at least that's what I do.

Best.
Steve

Quoted for truth,

Besides, Close up isn't the only thing that can get personal. Stage performances can as well. It really depends on the performer. Copperfield has an amazing way of going this, Josh Jay seems to as well, Blackstone was a big guy that did this (for me atleast.)

Sounds to me like the audience was unnappreciative of this performer... If their kids are running onto the stage..

Keenan

Sep 1, 2007
I don't think its the material that he performed that was not appealing to you, but it was him as a person. I'm sure the same effects presented by someone "modern" would be a lot more interesting.

Well, obviously. Just look in the media section at this

http://media.theory11.com/763-Michael-Kent:-Snowstorm-Spoof

Old effect, awesome presentation. He's adapted to his audience. That's all I'm saying.

The magician tonight did this exact same effect, but talked about his daughter asking him where the snow came from, in all seriousness, trying to tug at heartstrings. Not working...

Quoted for truth,

Besides, Close up isn't the only thing that can get personal. Stage performances can as well. It really depends on the performer. Copperfield has an amazing way of going this, Josh Jay seems to as well, Blackstone was a big guy that did this (for me atleast.)

Sounds to me like the audience was unnappreciative of this performer... If their kids are running onto the stage..

Keenan

You're right, it wasn't a very appreciative audience. Sometimes it can be helped, sometimes not. Depends on the performer and the audience.

But trust me when I say this. Despite the audience, this guy's performance tonight could have been better...

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's just me, but something irritates me about you judging someone's performance when he's probably been at this since before you were born. Either way, he must be doing something right to keep going this long and to get an audience out to see him perform (including yourself).

Best.
Steve

P.S. What was his name? If you don't want to post it, them PM me please.

Aug 31, 2007
California
But trust me when I say this. Despite the audience, this guy's performance tonight could have been better...

Everyones could be better. Everyone has their off performances, maybe this was his.

I would just like to see a little more appreciation for performers who have been performing for over two decades.

Keenan

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
to the original poster

arent you a little dick???

jugge-ing someone else's performance style and etc.
maybe you shouldve tried to talk to him and see what you couldve learned from him
i swear, its teen magicians like you who are gonna bring magic right down onto its ass

Sep 1, 2007
You don't have to study paino your whole life to know when a piece is not played well.

He was technically proficient. He just didn't know the audience. Like I said, It was from the 80's.

I happen to know that he's done work all over the world, in Vegas, etc. He's done work with the Disney Channel on some of their movies.

He's past his prime. He was once good, but is kind of beating a dead horse, now.

I don't have to have been into magic for over 30 years to be able to tell that.

I'm not trying to be mean; I'm being blunt. It simply wasn't a good perfromance.

Aug 31, 2007
California
You don't have to study paino your whole life to know when a piece is not played well.

He was technically proficient. He just didn't know the audience. Like I said, It was from the 80's.

I happen to know that he's done work all over the world, in Vegas, etc. He's done work with the Disney Channel on some of their movies.

He's past his prime. He was once good, but is kind of beating a dead horse, now.

I'm trying to be mean; I'm being blunt. It simply wasn't a good perfromance.

This post here makes me smile. Tells me a lot about you.

Thanks for helping me out,

Keenan

Sep 1, 2007
Wait, what?

I'm honestly not trying to be mean to this guy.

It just wasn't a good performance.

I don't get it. Am I suddenly not allowed to say that?

Sep 1, 2007
to the original poster

arent you a little dick???

jugge-ing someone else's performance style and etc.
maybe you shouldve tried to talk to him and see what you couldve learned from him
i swear, its teen magicians like you who are gonna bring magic right down onto its ass

Well. Jeez...Somebody has a pool-cue up their ass. A good performance is a good performance. A bad one is a bad one.

Teen magicians like me? What the hell is that supposed to mean?

So I'm bringing magic down my saying that I thought someone's performance was not good?

I'm not trying to be mean; I'm being blunt. It simply wasn't a good perfromance.

Allow me to be blunt as well...

Sounds to me like you wanted people to pat you on the back and just agree with you that maybe he should quit. Not only do you sound very arrogant as if you know it all, you also just cost yourself the possibility of learning a lot and possibly making a new friend.

After viewing his site, this guy has literally been there, done that. He's spent his whole life performing, and making a successful living off of it. Past his prime?! Hardly...he looks to me as if he's still going strong and entertaining audiences...successfully.

Whether you liked the show or not, that's not my problem. My problem is with you criticizing him, like somehow you feel you have that right. News flash. You don't. He has been performing since before you were alive...probably since before your parents were alive as well. You have what, a few years at best??

Sorry bro, but you're not at that stage in life where you can judge this guy's show as if he's doing something wrong. I can assure you that if he were past his prime, he wouldn't have the credentials he has and still be receiving others as well. Like I mentioned though, it's a shame you didn't make the most from this situation to meet the guy and learn from him as well. But oh well...your mistake. Not mine.

Best.
Steve

Sep 1, 2007
Look.

I know exactly who this guy is. I've seen his stuff before. His performance did not go well tonight, I think because of my previously stated reasons. He wasn't letting the audience breathe. It was just him in his own world. It's not like he screwed up or anything. It was just not engaging to watch.

Who are you (please and thanks) to judge what stage I'm at to judge.

I know when a perfromance is bad. Just because somebody is reknowned, does not mean every performance is going to be good.

I've met him before. He's a really nice guy. I like him. I just did not like his performance for the forementioned reasons.

I have been doing magic a while. I know good from bad. This was not good.

Don't forget: I actually saw the performance, so I may (just maybe a little wee bit) be a more liberty to judge than anyone else.

I've made my point, I think. Feel free to keep posting if you have anything else to say. Heaven forbid I make you uncomfortable...

Aug 31, 2007
California
Longman,

The reason why we are not liking what you are saying is because you do sound arrogant. You sound like you don't care where he has been and what he has done. Sure you know what hes done and such, but do you care? It doesn't seem like you do.

Disrespectful.

Keenan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results