Why magic?

magicmike1112 (10:47:56 PM): why magic?
iTaLiAn BabiE389 (10:47:59 PM): ?
iTaLiAn BabiE389 (10:48:04 PM): what
magicmike1112 (10:48:05 PM): why magic?
magicmike1112 (10:48:09 PM): u heard me
iTaLiAn BabiE389 (10:48:10 PM): wut do u mean
magicmike1112 (10:48:22 PM): why magic? why do like magic?
magicmike1112 (10:48:28 PM): what reason do u do it?
magicmike1112 (10:48:33 PM): how does it make u feel?
iTaLiAn BabiE389 (10:48:42 PM): this will take a bit to type hold on
magicmike1112 (10:48:48 PM): how do u want other's to feel when u do it?
magicmike1112 (10:48:53 PM): yeah i realized

so that's my question, why magic? was discussing this to nikki on an aim chat a couple a minutes ago. So i want to ask you:
Why Magic?
Why do you like magic?
Why did u want to start out in magic?
What reason do you do it now?
How does it make you feel when you do it?
How do you want your spectators to feel when you do magic to them?

Thanks
-Mike aka the Dragon

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Why Magic?
Because magic, like theatre, from whence its origins came, can affect at its best the emotions of the spectator. This audience factor is the reason I love theatre so much; the ability to influence someone's feelings is quintessentially truthful at its core, and deeply, deeply moving. This is the experience I strive for in acting, and so it is also with magic.

Why do you like magic?
As the above.

I love acting, so magic was a logical step for me. I've always loved watching magic, and a year and a half ago finally got the push needed to get into it and start learning it.

Narf! Same as above, really.

I just love performing. The ability to sway is so powerful, and for the spectator to experience something impossible, and out of the ordinary, to experience something that makes them question, makes for an exhilerating experience for me also. I simply love performing.

Well essentially it depends on the effect. In general? Amazement. Wonder. Beauty, even. Magic is inherently beautiful. A deep-seated emotion which essentially moves them; this can take many forms depending on the individual, however, all stemming from disbelief.

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
ok heres my answer:

well, the way i got into magic was acctually from the t.v. show masked magician, i was 4 when i first saw it, my bro was
7 he got a kit and practiced a lot for 11 years on and off, i fell in love with magic ever since i saw it...so after a while of watching
my brother practice and become good...i wanted to do it too, my dad didnt think i would stick with it so he didnt let me. then
years later we went to vegas [i was 13] we saw david copperfield...after seeing his show i realized that i really wanted to practice
magic, he made me love it even more, and i just had to start, so i annoyed my dad to death untill he got me a magic trick i didnt
even care what i just wanted something to start out with. so he got me a hot rod [dont laugh] and he told me if i stick with it and stay
interested in magic he would get me more, and i did so the next yr when we went to vegas he got me more beginer stuff,
and it progressed on from there. Thats how i got into magic. [shortened version]

I preform magic for people because, when i was little, it was the one thing that always put a smile on my face, no matter how depressed i
was, i just couldnt help it when ever i was around magic or when i practice or preform it, i can't help but smile, be energetic, and just..well,
happy. it helped me threw my toughest situations, like when i lost both of my grandfathers last may and july...magic helped me threw it...it keeps
me sane, its the reason i get up in the morning...and stay in school, it helps me threw my long long days, and i wanted to be able to make someone
else just as happy with magic. I wanted to make people smile, and wonder, i wanna give them something to believe in, the best feeling in the
world is making someone else believe in something you did, also i wanna give them something
they wont forget, just leaving behind a happy memory for them.

Basically magic completes me, i noticed that the years of my life where i wasnt around magic, were acctually horrible years for me. I ended up having
a lot of problems those years. like i said above my brother was a magician for 11 years on and off....all the magic in our house was all him
when he wasnt doing it or i wasnt around it, i just had a horrible time. however, the years i was around it were the best years of my life. Kinda strange
now that i think about it....but i think im gonna stop here, i could keep going but im lazy and don't feel like typing anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Why Magic?
Good question. It's probably some psychological theory dealing with childhood and being raised...and some other science-like mumbo-jumbo...I'm gonna guess that the 'Worlds Greatest Magic' shows started it all...
Maybe the rest of the questions answers will bring light into Why Magic.

Why do you like magic?
I enjoy magic about the same as anyone else at first. It was impossible, and seeing the impossible happen re-enforces beliefs like 'dreams can come true' and 'you can do anything' that you're taught as a child. I was never one to want to be the center of attention, but didn't mind entertaining (with jokes, sarcasm and other talents at first...sort of like solving a rubix cube) and eventually fell in love with cards.
Cards, at first with games and poker, led to tricks like 'pick a card, tell me which row it's in.' Yeah, we all know that one don't we? And when your friends figure your tricks out, you learn new ones...it grew into an obsession.
Besides, everybody loves magic.

To quote David Blaine, "You don't get into magic, it gets into you."
I can't say i ever wanted to start in magic...it just happened...and I liked it...so I kept with it.

I do it now, mainly because I've gotten pretty good at it. Not nearly as good as a lot of people I know (skill-wise) but was always a half-decent actor in school so performing comes naturally.

No differently then when I amaze people with any of my many useless talents.
Which include, but are not limited to, Solving rubix cubes (2x2,3x3 and 4x4), Juggling (only three items...nothing fancy), just knowing random facts (did you know that there are 118 ridges on the edge of a dime? You do now)...etc...
Just something I enjoy doing, and most people seem to enjoy watching it.

Confused, bewildered, utterly stumped at what just happened...all the while happy and amazed.
I mean, what magician performs so people can be like 'So what? I can bag groceries faster than anybody in the world...vanishing cards isn't so tough.'

Anyway. Good topic. I'm about half tired and more than half lazy, therefore this post will not be re-read for editing as my usual posts are. Hope it's coherent.

P.S. There are 119 ridges on the edge of a quarter.

P.S.(number 2). Giraffes have no vocal chords, and are able to go without water longer than camels...

P.S.(number 3). I probably could have taken the time to re-read/edit my post instead of putting 3 post scripts...guess it's too late now.

May 19, 2008
manchester
i like magic because i like performing, and theater (to me anyway) even though I love it (theater) seems boring... and magic isnt boring, and i love doing stuff that are just wrong, like saw, disjointed, tears of blood. people might say it takes it to far but i think there wrong, you cant take it to far ever! lol

i guess im like other people, i played cards (poker) at school sometimes, eventually I wanted to do magic, suddenly in the paper was a "special" from david blaine ( booklet) were he explained stuff like the palm and double lift, back then the double lift was impossible (lol) i had to glue the cards together, then i went on youtube to watch his magic, then i saw a link and went into ellustionist, evebtually i found t11 and was amazed at it. and magic is just awsome anyway...

Oct 8, 2007
Why Magic?

I don't know really. I've had all of these other "phases". Rock collecting (like gems, not just random rocks), I was completely OBSESSED with basketball, and I saw the David Blaine: Street Magic on a re-run about 2 years ago, and I got into it. My parents thought it was just going to be another little phase, but I think it's going to last.

Why do you like magic?

I like magic, because even the simplest things (Ambitious Card, Two Card Monte) can get you far (Look at David Blaine - the stunts= Still awesome street magician).

I'll probably answer the rest later.

Oh yeah, why weren't you at the IBM on Thursday?

Nov 10, 2007
Why Magic, that is the question:
I do magic for numerous reasons I will list them below:
#1 : I love to put a smile on peoples faces it makes me fell like a good person and it also brightens other peoples day
#2 : I am always working on so.thing knew so I can never be bored
#3 : I can make 1's to 100's LOL
Last Reason
#4 : I love to be amazed so I want to amaze other people, Whenever I see new effect like eXiled it gives me inspiration to go out and create something new for the magic worlds

Dec 13, 2007
Atlanta,Georgia
honesty i love preforming...
i have always had a love of the reaction people give me... i do magic because of the reactions...one good reaction can make me feel alive for days on end...originally i got into magic because i wanted to learn how to cheat in cards and amaze my friends

Apr 15, 2008
Because its a great hobby or possibly profession and people love it.

Because its nice to be able to do things other people can't do, and its really nice to make someone's day by doing it. Most people love magic, and I like giving it to them so it just works!

I started when I went to a magic show with Andre Kole. He was so great that he just got my imagination going and here I am now.

Because Im addicted to it. And because, as Ive said twice now, it brings joy to people and it is a great art.

When I perform it, I feel a great sense of adrenalin, especially on the streets and I love that feeling. You also feel great when you do something really well and you will know when that happens.

Most of the time, my spectators love my performances, but every now and then their will be a tough cookie who doesn't like it or I will mess up.

this thread kind of made me think. Thanks.

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
Why Magic?
-I loved the idea of taking something as creative and unique as magic and using it to brighten up a persons day. I've always been the type to cheer those up around me and I discovered magic is a wonderful way to do this.

Why do you like magic?
-Allows plenty of space for creativity, it's unique, powerful, and will reshape how people think about things. I love the feeling of performing as well as the great experiences and people you come across when doing so.

-My dad showed me something about a year ago. He'd always had the interest but up until that point never learned it, I wasn't aware he was learning it until I saw two card monte. The intense feeling I had when I realized this is something I can do... I want to do. From that day forth I grabbed whatever material I could find and put a massive amount of time into studying/learning. It's now a very important part of my life and I don't go a single day without it.

-I do it for a few different reasons
1. I love to perform, I love the feeling
2. I feel I can embrace how creative I am and use it to blow people away
3. I enjoy putting a smile on others faces, this is probably the biggest reason for me.

-Incredible, I know no other word to describe it.

-I want them to feel that they are not limited in what they can imagine. I want there eyes to open and for them to realize how much more is within their reach and just because others haven't done it doesn't mean it can't be done.

Sep 2, 2007
Why magic?

Well, when I was younger, I LOVED magic. I did some basic stuff and then got out of it. Then in grade five I got this thing called 'Magic university' it teaches some great stuff and I actually did a show infront of 100+ people that year! (Not paid. volunteer stuff) and I loved it. As I got older, I sort of grew out of it again and then I started to get bullied. alot. I needed something to take my mind off of the bullying so I started magic again. Lets put it this way; Magic saved my life.

Why do you like magic?
Honestly? I don;t know. staying with a deck of cards for hours on end to practice something that the spectator doesn;t even see. But, for some reason, I love it.

Why did you start out i magic?

honestly? I wanted attention. haha. Not that I was being neglected, but I liked to be center stage. and I sort of still do.

Great. When I perform and make the spectator go into that state of awe,... I feel wonderful. Like I did my job right. Thats real magic.

How do you want your spectators to feel when doing magic?

Joyful or scared.

Sep 7, 2008
Because I love the look on peoples faces when it happens. Because I love making smart people look stupid. But most importantly, because i want them to loose sleep over it. Just pondering how I decieved them in front of there own eyes.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Because I love the look on peoples faces when it happens. Because I love making smart people look stupid. But most importantly, because i want them to loose sleep over it. Just pondering how I decieved them in front of there own eyes.

Really? That's interesting. I do magic to entertain and bring joy into people's lives. Not fool them and make myself look like an arrogant ass. Entertain...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results