Why was collins key able to get so popular

Sep 1, 2007
Because he was a good-looking young guy who photographed well and was on TV. That's about it, really. It certainly wasn't for any measure of talent. Of course, like most reality show contestants, he'll be a quick burn. He buys up expensive secrets, then performs them in an unimpressive fashion. Yeah, he'll probably get work. But if anyone's thinking that he's going to be the next Lance Burton or anything they're sadly mistaken. His star will fall in quick order and in a year or two all the wannabes and TV addicts will be talking about the next cute kid on TV. The cycle will continue repeating itself until the sun is extinguished.

Nov 20, 2013
He was able to beat out all other people in his age range.. so all the texty high school girl were smitten by him. He held himself okay.. and made himself accessible and open. He used social media like no one else. AGT has nothing to do with talent. It's a popularity contest.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
In a word, the kid was cute. . . not just physically attractive "boy next door" type of cute, but he had the personality that resonated with the audience (especially girls) and the judges. He didn't act precocious but gave respect to the judges.

The other side of the coin is that he's a Poor Little Rich Kid (PLRK) and my problem with such kids is that they can afford the top end toys that most cannot. I'm not just talking about a couple of the prediction pieces he did that sell of a few thousand bucks, but the grooming and training he's seen, the political clout of his family, etc. It is much easier for a kid to progress when mum & dad belong to the "right" country clubs, if you get my drift. Of course ties of this sort are usually obfuscated by one's Press Agent and the sad tale of a struggle put in its place, but the truth is the truth and political connections trump talent every time.

a joke in Hollywood when I lived their 35 years ago was the easiest path to success meant you had to be Gay, Rich, Available (sexually) or Jewish if you could fill 3 of the 4 niches you had it made. . . the more slots you could fill the better. But notice how "Talented" isn't on that list. . . that's because even way back then talent wasn't the primary key, producers knew that they could get acting coaches, etc. to help "tune" a prospect and get them ready for the job, most of the time their investment would pay off but then there are those horrid exceptions, most of them easily defined by the terms SLUTS or GOLD DIGGERS with a Daddy (or Mommy in some cases. . . like the Comedy Club).

Colin, if I recall corectly, was a Castle Jr. member which also gave him his own level of political favor, especially if he was one of the chosen favorites. . . many of today's top names were Castle Jr.s or part of the Long Beach Mystics; it's not a coincidence.

Hope this fills in some of the blanks.

Jun 10, 2012
Honestly i really hate how other magicians hate on him, lots of haters in the magic community which makes me sad :( , stop being jealous, most of the people talking s*** have been a magician for way longer than he is and hasn't gotten even close to how succesful he has become . The fact that another magician can say that one has no talent is just not right.He has talent because if he didn't he wouldn't have made it to the finalists in Americas Got Talent

Apr 17, 2013
Honestly i really hate how other magicians hate on him, lots of haters in the magic community which makes me sad :( , stop being jealous, most of the people talking s*** have been a magician for way longer than he is and hasn't gotten even close to how succesful he has become . The fact that another magician can say that one has no talent is just not right.He has talent because if he didn't he wouldn't have made it to the finalists in Americas Got Talent

Do you think he would have made it that far with that skill level if he was 35 and fat? There were far better magicians on that show in past season who didn't get as far because they weren't young and cute. Also do you really think that the producers would let someone who is young and cute and who is trending on facebook and twitter off the show early? We aren't hating we are just being realistic.

Sep 1, 2007
Honestly i really hate how other magicians hate on him, lots of haters in the magic community which makes me sad :( , stop being jealous, most of the people talking s*** have been a magician for way longer than he is and hasn't gotten even close to how succesful he has become .

My general experience has been that if someone uses the word "hater" unironically and also accuses me of being jealous because I'm not rich and/or famous, then I can dismiss that person's opinion as completely useless and be totally right in doing so.

The fact that another magician can say that one has no talent is just not right.He has talent because if he didn't he wouldn't have made it to the finalists in Americas Got Talent

Oh to be young and naive again.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA

Your lack of experience in the real world is showing. .. AGT is a bought and paid for circumstance and has very little to do with actual Talent even though they have been more fair when it comes to novel talent than most such programs. The fact is however, the producers of that show take their pick and make deals with the top 5-10 acts; they are booked by the company for so many months so the company can make money and they book the acts that they know will be a draw. . . it's business!

Colin placed for all the wrong reasons, especially given how much he relied on stooges. There's nothing wrong with using a stooge here adn there, but making it your only method is a great way to fail. Colin did some very stupid moves and the biggest, in my opinion was that he only did predictions rather than proving himself as a Mentalist. . . he's too young to pull that off in my opinion but still, he needed to work more in establishing himself and do less in way of precognition. In short, he was a one trick pony.

I'm far from being a hater, I liked the kid and see potential in him but had I been a judge I wouldn't have passed him through either in that he's too young and immature to do the work load that will be asked of him. Too, he's not strong enough to pull the sort of audience a single act must pull when working Vegas. . . that's a monster of a world to work in and guys like Terry Fator are major quirks to how it all works there. . . he's gone further than any winner on AGT or American Idol when it comes to that town.

Being critical is something people must get used to when it comes to Show Biz in that we are judged 24/7 it is not a world for they weak and easily offended. It can be harsh and quite vicious at times; your best friends stealing gigs right out from under you and more. So let go of your fantasy when it comes to what it is because it's not. . . it's one of the hardest jobs going and though young and cute works for a while it won't carry you more than a few short years at best and you'd better hustle in that time if you plan on knowing security for the rest of your life. Few will and kids like Colin rarely make it once the cute is no longer applicable. That is the reality.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results