The Official Spam-

You now hold in your hands -- an original idea from Lee Asher. He
performs his brand of magic across the world, leaving audiences
speechless. Witness has never before been released on
DVD -- until now.

After having a card selected, your spectator holds a ziplock bag with
a Joker sealed inside. The Joker, held securely between the
spectator's palms, 'transforms' into the selection! Never once is the
bag opened. Everything can be handed out for examination.

The Story-

Well, when I first got Witness earlier today... I was unable to play all of it. It got to about 1 minute, and then it stopped. However, after several E-Mails back and forth with Customer Service, I got most of it to work. I was still unable to view all of the last section, but I got the essentials, and I want to come up with my own performance of the effect, anyway (the last section is "Selling the Effect").

What Your Spectators See-

You have a spectator choose a card, and hold on to it. While they are showing it around, a Ziploc bag is brought into play. Inside the Ziploc bag is a Joker. You ask a spectator that is not holding the selection to sandwich the Joker, inside the bag, in their hands. The selection is returned to the deck, and after a little bit of byplay, the Joker transforms into their selected card.

The Work-

In this effect, there are really only two sleights... and one of them you will already know how to do. The other, is one of those sleights that is so easy that it's almost self-working. Both of these take place near the beginning of the effect, so most of this awesome effect is all presentation on your part.

Gimmicks-

I am very happy to say that this effect uses absolutely no gimmicks. You do not have to alter anything that is brought into play during the effect in any way. However, you will need an "extra" something that you will definitely have laying around with your card collection.

Quality-

In this section, I am not talking about the quality of the effect, but rather the quality of the download. I personally just bought the download, so I don't know how the DVD is, but the download is very nice, and I could easily hear and see everything that was going on.

The Teaching-

As usual, Lee does a superb job teaching this effect, and goes over everything you need to know to be able to perform this effect, including what type of bag to use, what card to put in the bag (the Joker), multiple ways to pull of the first "sleight"... everything. And not only does he go over it all, but he does a darn good job of it.

Price-

At first I thought the price for this effect was a little much, but after forking over the money and watching the video, I soon realized that it was worth every penny. Unlike some effects, this does not come with multiple handlings, but the one it does come with is darn near perfect, and I honestly think a different one would be overkill.

Signature-

When first considering this purchase, I had a few questions that I wanted to ask Lee personally before buying this... one of them was whether or not the card could be signed. He told me that, in theory, the card could be signed, but that it would be overkill. I concur... it would just be overkill and a waste of time in an already powerful effect such as Witness.

2 of Hearts-

I had also heard the question going around about the 2 of Hearts, and why Lee always used that card. The reason is that it contrasts with the Joker, and has good visual appeal... that's it, there is no gimmicked or "special" card.

Overall-

Wow... this is a great effect, and I think it was totally worth the $20 I paid for it. I had been wanting this effect every since it came out on Halloween, but recently I had forgotten about it. Then, I got some money for my birthday, and I decided I would finally buy this. Now, I have a great new effect to add my repertoire. Thanks Lee!

Oct 20, 2007
very good. it was very informative, the trick does not appeal to me in the least, nevertheless; it was written very well.

I don't remember if you said this in your review or not, and I'm too lazy to look, but would you recommend the DVD or ID?

Well I got the ID, I recently did a review of that, should still be on the first page. As far as Im aware there arnt any differences in the teaching, I suppose it all comes down to, Would you like a hard copy + shipping + waiting, or would you like to watch it now but no hard copy.

Cheers, Tom

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Well I got the ID, I recently did a review of that, should still be on the first page. As far as Im aware there arnt any differences in the teaching, I suppose it all comes down to, Would you like a hard copy + shipping + waiting, or would you like to watch it now but no hard copy.

Cheers, Tom

Strangely enough I would rather wait. My computer is really messy, and getting something in the mail( even though I know what it is) is like getting a Christmas or a birthday present.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
To be honest, I like the feeling of holding something in your hand... it gives you more of a feeling of "owning" it. That's why I will probably end up buying the DVD version of this, as well when I have bought all the books I want and stuff. I also think it's easier to watch on a TV rather than on a computer screen. But I think the choice is yours, and I'm sure the contents are the same.

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
Strangely enough I would rather wait. My computer is really messy, and getting something in the mail( even though I know what it is) is like getting a Christmas or a birthday present.

same here, plus a DVD is much more formal, professional, and is safer, what if everything gets erased, unless you burn it on DVD, but then my DVD will much better than that persons:)
About the review, I don't really like that the card can't be signed, and I heard a lot of negative things about this effect, now your review confused me (plus the indecent vs witness thread), and now I don't know what to think, good that I already booked my presents and can't have anymore

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I don't know what could be so bad about this effect. No, it can't be signed, but I think it's just as powerful without it being signed. So far I have shown my little siblings, then my step-dad and Mom... and they were all floored. Usually, they're not very impressed with my magic, because they're used to it, but this one really blew them away.

What, exactly, are the bad things you've heard about it?

LeeAsher

theory11 artist
Aug 31, 2007
Eugene, Oregon
www.leeasher.com
Hey guys,

Thanks for the nice review...

I wanted to mention that there's bonus footage (an easter egg) on the WITNESS DVD, that's not on the instant download. I believe that's the only difference between the DVD and download.

No one has mentioned it yet, so I figure no one has seen it yet.

Happy Hunting

Asher

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
Now that I thought about it, I get why a card can't be signed, because it's a transformation, and not a transposition ;). Oh and what I heard bad is that the setup is pretty long, and it's kinda obvious.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Setup takes one minute, tops. After the original setup, I can setup for it in about 15 seconds. I don't think the effect is obvious at all... in fact I've blown everyone away at school that I showed it to. It has definitely got some of the best reactions I've ever had.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I understand where you're coming from. When I first bought this, I couldn't find a bag to practice with, so I asked my Mom to pick some up when she went to the grocery store. However, she didn't realize it at the time, but she got those tiny little snack bags with obviously won't work with this effect.

However, I did come upon a Ziploc bag that has one of those slidy things at the top, and it works fine. I need to pick up some regular bags, though.

C

clarrus

I've seen the easter egg a while ago. It's Lee showing Thunderbird out. It's pretty impressive. I know how Thunderbird is done too.......It's all camera editing.......j/k

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results