Witness....

Sep 1, 2007
Why are you guys selling Witness for like $25-$30 dollars ( its going to sell around there I guess) when you could of just sold "Thinking Out Loud" (lee's notes) for $12 because witness is in there as well as other things, you really get more for your money, and you pay less. But you made the dvd any way so why not put more effects in it insted of just one?

Is your marketing people crazy? because why on earth would I buy the dvd for like 2 times as much when I could just get the notes and get more for my money.

Seems like your just trying to scam people out of money for a price like that. Sorry to be so blunt about it. But thats how I feel.

I don't know, I trust they have their reasons. I mean, it is convenient to have a DVD with it. It's really up to Lee how he runs things. Besides, it's not like people aren't going to buy it. I'm ordering the day it comes out, with the new guardians as well!

Sep 1, 2007
it takes a lot of money to produce DVDs and it is easier to learn for many from DVDs. You could get the notes however, you may not learn it as efficiently. also remember the DVD is focused on one trick. so you will learn all the inner workings and psychology that makes the trick work.

it takes a lot of money to produce DVDs and it is easier to learn for many from DVDs. You could get the notes however, you may not learn it as efficiently. also remember the DVD is focused on one trick. so you will learn all the inner workings and psychology that makes the trick work.

Though its easyer to learn from dvd's, all you do is copy the effect. You learn the exact handling as (in this case...) Lee show's you! If you buy his notes(wich i own) you are forced to give it your own twist, since you've ''never'' seen Lee do it...

Thats what i do in my dvd's, i only learn you the sleights... And the way to put them together to get the end-result! you have to go from there!

Cheers,
Aron

Sep 1, 2007
UK
The notes teach the effect perfectly well, there isn't mch need for a dvd... well I know some people are solely visual learners, but it's so simple that the notes should be easy enough for most.

Sep 1, 2007
I think there is a market for this, because as someone who actually already owns Thinking Out Loud, I'm going to get this DVD just to watch Lee perform. There's actually certain nuances that I wished the booklet would have covered. I think I'll get them in the DVD.

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Though the notes probably teach the effects very well, many people nowadays do not read. Also, DVDs can cover subtlties and etc. in more depth, so it has its own advantages. Also, it probably costs a lot to hire some one to film for Mr. Lee Asher and etc. (Don't take my word for it, I don't know anything about filming really...)

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
Why are you guys selling Witness for like $25-$30 dollars ( its going to sell around there I guess) when you could of just sold "Thinking Out Loud" (lee's notes) for $12 because witness is in there as well as other things, you really get more for your money, and you pay less. But you made the dvd any way so why not put more effects in it insted of just one?

Is your marketing people crazy? because why on earth would I buy the dvd for like 2 times as much when I could just get the notes and get more for my money.

Seems like your just trying to scam people out of money for a price like that. Sorry to be so blunt about it. But thats how I feel.

Some people are visual learners bro.
I have a hell of a hard time understanding notes or books sometimes.
I'm not saying i can't do it.
I'm saying its very difficult to do sometimes.
I am actually very pleased that they are doing this.
Plus its another video to add to my collection.

~Jordan

Sep 1, 2007
Though the notes probably teach the effects very well, many people nowadays do not read. Also, DVDs can cover subtlties and etc. in more depth, so it has its own advantages. Also, it probably costs a lot to hire some one to film for Mr. Lee Asher and etc. (Don't take my word for it, I don't know anything about filming really...)

Yes, DVD's do have an advantage. They are better, but for the price, it does just not seem worth it. the trick is like $25-30 dollars. But the first disk of the trilogy is just $30 (about the same price) and you get a lot of effects with it, and a lot more for your money.

Now the effect I have heard is very simple, so I may buy the notes for it one day soon. But the dvd is just like a rip off in a way.

Sep 1, 2007
Some people are visual learners bro.
I have a hell of a hard time understanding notes or books sometimes.
I'm not saying i can't do it.
I'm saying its very difficult to do sometimes.
I am actually very pleased that they are doing this.
Plus its another video to add to my collection.

~Jordan

I'm a very, very, very, visual learner. Its hard for me to learn from books. But the effect is very simple, and you should be able to understand how to do it from the notes.

All i'm saying is for one effect that you could buy for $12 and get more effects, they are selling just one of them for 2 times as much, its like stealing money from you. Now if the dvd cost $15-17 with shipping, I would have no problem with it, but this is like a scam.

Sep 10, 2007
I'm absolutely certain he's going to go over more subtleties and nuances in the DVD that aren't covered in the notes. Because this DVD is solely dedicated to teaching this effect and this effect only, you can bet the information taught on the DVD will be much more indepth than what is in the notes. Covering these things in detail is absolutely critical to selling the effect....otherwise you might just read notes and perform it anything but gracefully (like some youngster on YouTube who whose performance couldn't even fool the most inexperienced of laymen). It's all in the little details and being able to see a professional demonstrate what it should look like is an incredible advantage. This effect is so simple but poor execution will absolutely kill it (e.g. YouTube kid).

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
lol my buddy gave me the notes for duece bag(witness) and i nearly shat myself laughing at how easy it was
my first words were
"i just saved myself 40$"

its a easy trick, anybody and their dog can do it from reading the notes

a 30$ dvd isnt necessary

Aug 31, 2007
lol my buddy gave me the notes for duece bag(witness) and i nearly shat myself laughing at how easy it was
my first words were
"i just saved myself 40$"

its a easy trick, anybody and their dog can do it from reading the notes

a 30$ dvd isnt necessary

You're assuming that an effect is all about the secret behind it, and as soon as you know the secret, then you can go out and perform the effect. That is the exact mindset of all of the kiddies on YouTube who are posting pathetic performances of tricks. There is MUCH more to an effect than just the secret behind it; there is much more to an effect than even the mechanics and moves involved. There are psychological subtleties and performance tips that simply can't be brought out in a two page written explanation. THAT is what the DVD is for. Yeah, anybody and their dog can do it from reading the notes. So what. Is that what magic is? Simply "doing" the trick? If that is your mindset, then you need to reconsider your mindset towards the art...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
You're assuming that an effect is all about the secret behind it, and as soon as you know the secret, then you can go out and perform the effect. That is the exact mindset of all of the kiddies on YouTube who are posting pathetic performances of tricks. There is MUCH more to an effect than just the secret behind it; there is much more to an effect than even the mechanics and moves involved. There are psychological subtleties and performance tips that simply can't be brought out in a two page written explanation. THAT is what the DVD is for. Yeah, anybody and their dog can do it from reading the notes. So what. Is that what magic is? Simply "doing" the trick? If that is your mindset, then you need to seriously reconsider your commitment to the art. Pick up some Derren Brown and Eugene Burger while you are at it...

I don't think its impossible to come up with your own little things to make the effect better. I have created many effects and suggestions to accomplish other effects, I think I can handle it.

You act like if you don't buy the dvd you will never learn the whole effect. Thats just not true.

Aug 31, 2007
I don't think its impossible to come up with your own little things to make the effect better. I have created many effects and suggestions to accomplish other effects, I think I can handle it.

You act like if you don't buy the dvd you will never learn the whole effect. Thats just not true.

If your understanding of "effect" is simply "how the trick works", then you are correct. You can learn that without the DVD. But my point is that an "effect" involves more than just the bare mechanics behind the trick.

Sep 1, 2007
If your understanding of "effect" is simply "how the trick works", then you are correct. You can learn that without the DVD. But my point is that an "effect" involves more than just the bare mechanics behind the trick.

I know that, and I agree with you on that. But I can do that with out the dvd. And I'm sure anyone who has been doing magic for a wile can do that as well.

Sep 1, 2007
I think people are not arguing against S3al the right way. I am sure he knows about all these things.

I look at it this way. The ideas behind effects such as Indecent and Stigmata could have easily been sold in a cheap booklet, but they were sold as DVDs for around 30$ each. As far as I know, they sold pretty well, so even if you think it's a rip-off for you, to me, there's clearly a market.

I remember buying Peter Harrison's Connected PDF and then he came out with a DVD that people bought.

Sep 1, 2007
I think people are not arguing against S3al the right way. I am sure he knows about all these things.

I look at it this way. The ideas behind effects such as Indecent and Stigmata could have easily been sold in a cheap booklet, but they were sold as DVDs for around 30$ each. As far as I know, they sold pretty well, so even if you think it's a rip-off for you, to me, there's clearly a market.

Right, but indecent and stigmata where not in books before they came out. At least not to my knowledge. Witness has been in a book for a wile. Its like there just recycling old effects and over charging them in order to make more money. Hence, my scam statement.

I mean does anyone here really think witness is worth $30 dollars?

p.s. why do people seem to think that if it's in a book its not as good? like if you learn from a book your at a huge disadvantage?

I don't see what's wrong with making a Dvd. It will go more in depth. I don't think it should be a $24.95 dvd though. Maybe $16-17.

Also for the people who claim to be a very very visual learner, please just stop. I understand it's hard for you to read out of books. Me too. But your missing out on great deals and a crap load of gems. Dvd's with 1 trick contain 1 great trick at the most and it may not even be good.( I'm sure Witness will be excellent though) Books may contain a handful of excellent material that is very practical and the best part is that know one will use it, so it becomes unique.

I don't like to read either. I would rather watch a Dvd, but I know there are much more things yet to discover with the books I have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results