Word Force (Help)

May 21, 2011
Rich Ferguson has a few good ones on his tagged dvd. And you could also get a page force book. Or force multiple playing cards and use those as the page number. I'm sure d ice r is going to post here with a really great solution.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
The first question I have is do you need to know the word before or after the spectator has selected it.

Ie is it important if it is a specific word or is it just important that you know the word sometime within the perforamnce.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
My first question is, do you have a copy of Annemann's book of forces? If not, why? We're talking about the "bible" on said subject though it is a tad dated and the psychological techniques that have come along in the past decade(ish) aren't included. Nonetheless, you (everyone in magic) should be familiar with this book and have it chained to their book case so it's always there waiting to be used when you find yourself scratching your head, as you are now.

If you are forcing a word that's part of a list you should study up on the Clip-Force (Clippo-Force) that's been used in several different News Paper styled word tests. . . if you don't know what Clippo is, you may want to stop what you're doing and dive back into those magic 101 books in that it's older than the hills and a classic bit of old school trickery. Too, it is a principle that will give you a ton of advantage in alternate ways, so learn it!

If you are doing a Book or Magazine test then again, the methods are a dime a dozen; force a page of which you know your desired word and simply tell them where to look. . . down so many lines and in so many words based on an added-up sum generated through random numbers called by audience members. . . in other words, you use a number force system known as "Add a Number/Add a No" which comes in the form of various pad designs, switches and even calculators that will always total to the number you program.

If you want to have more fun and make it all appear random consider this idea;

1. FIRST PERSON: Using a large pile of books, counts down and sorts through said stacks until they find the book sitting in the position that matches their age e.g. someone 35 would find the 35th book [NOTE:books are on a long table in stacks of 10, the count is from the top down starting on the left hand side of the table. If you wished you could have blank cards taped to the books with a number that matches their position in the stack]
  2. SECOND PERSON: Doubles-the first person's age -- you use this number to track down the page to be used.
  3. THIRD PERSON: Adds. . . let's say 22 to this previous sum, which is used to find a page number
  4. FOURTH PERSON: Divides the new sum by 2 which gives you the paragraph position down the one side of the page
  5. FIFTH PERSON: Subtracts the original number (age of #1) and with this new sum, you have someone count over said number of words and you have your target. [NOTE: the word in question will be the 11th over from the left . . . try it yourself if you don't believe me]

I learned this force when I was about 8 years old, it was a challenge my father would use on people as a kind of betchya. It can be found in the aforementioned Annemann book and is the very formula out of which the famed Danish Elephant evolved (the formulas are slightly different). Psychologically however, this is powerful stuff.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results