Words/Phrases they hate?

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Anyone here have any words or phrases that thay just absolutely hate?
One of those words for me is:
Reactions.

I really don't like that word being used to describe what the spectator did after the trick. "The reactions are awesome when I did. . . " Does this really matter? I could do a bad trick to someone who has never seen any magic, and get a good reaction. (a monkey)
It's the quality of the trick, not the Reaction, (I hate saying it) lol.

Another one is what I hear on the forums a lot at E.
"Let's get back to the magic."
No, I don't want to.
I want to hear more of what Chester here did, the other night after performing magic to this girl. lol

Call me crazy, but I'm not sure I'm the only one who doesn't like phrases/word being used for magic.

I know Richard doesn't like the phrase "The cards fanned like butter".

Anybody else?

Oct 14, 2007
I hate it when spectators compare me to "professional" magicians they've seen on TV *cough* *cough* :mad:

I also hate when magicians get to the point where they find certain tricks to "simple" or whatever that they stop using them. As you said, all tricks will get about the same reaction, who cares if it required a bit of rigging, chances are no one saw.

Sep 1, 2007
agreed. Magic is about being creative and presentation. You can do an ambitious card consisting of two doubles and a pop up move and it would be the best thing they have seen in their lives if you put the presentation behind it.
I hate to be called other magicians... another one is "oh I know how thats done" when you are not even 1/4 into the trick. :p

Oct 14, 2007
Oh, I also have a love/hate relationship with "Do that again!" I love it because I know I've struck a nerve with the illusion, but I hate it because I have to explain that I will only perform each trick once for them or that there's far better to come :eek:

Oh, I also have a love/hate relationship with "Do that again!" I love it because I know I've struck a nerve with the illusion, but I hate it because I have to explain that I will only perform each trick once for them or that there's far better to come :eek:

yeah i hate when people {mostly hecklers} are just dont care what u say, just looking out for the secret before you even do the trick, and when u fool them...they say do it again, ...just to see what they missed.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York

There's a way to fix that actually. When they say to do it again, just say ok. Then do a different trick instead of explaining yourself. Make a card appear elsewhere.

Oct 14, 2007
There's a way to fix that actually. When they say to do it again, just say ok. Then do a different trick instead of explaining yourself. Make a card appear elsewhere.

Yeah, that's something I do. . .I find it a great way to slide into an ACR or transpos and what not.

Sep 1, 2007
I loathe the whenever the words "hard" and "hitting" are used within six paragraphs of one-another.

Oct 14, 2007
Ahh, that one annoys me so much.
I always say"pshh, no one touches my cards but me".

I either do that, laugh and just say no, or bust on them like "Pssh, you don't know how to shuffle cards" and then go right back to the trick.

I really don't like that word being used to describe what the spectator did after the trick. "The reactions are awesome when I did. . . " Does this really matter?
It's the quality of the trick, not the Reaction, (I hate saying it) lol.
No offense, but you are completely and totally wrong here. The reactions are THE most important thing in magic. Not the quality of the trick, not the method, not how easy it is for you, now how much you like to do it, but it's about the spectator. Totally and 100%.

I could elaborate, but I don't want to get further off topic.

Personally, I hate the people who say 'Do it again' and OBVIOUSLY mean 'Show me that again because I missed something and my pride will be shattered if I do not figure out and reveal this magic trick'.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
No offense, but you are completely and totally wrong here. The reactions are THE most important thing in magic. Not the quality of the trick, not the method, not how easy it is for you, now how much you like to do it, but it's about the spectator. Totally and 100%.

No offense, but that's more of an opinion rather than a fact.

"Make the card appear in my pocket".

Yeah right after I pull a rabbit out of my. . . hat
(I try not to curse);)

I see where you're coming from, but try to look at it this way: a complicated trick that gets great reactions is worth something because of the response it gets from spectators. What is a simple trick that gets horrible reactions good for?

Darwin Ortiz actually outlines this debate (magic for you vs magic for the spectator) perfectly in Strong Magic. I'll see if I can find it.

Sep 1, 2007
California
I hate it when they say, " It is a trick deck"

when it is not...

for once I would like a spectator to just listen to what we say!

Also when a spectator starts to explain possible explanations to the trick, when they are completely wrong.

I personally think that if a spectator asks to see our "art" or what ever you wan't to call it, and then heckles you is ointless and stupid, I mean ifthey want to see magic let us &@%*#$! finish!

I hate it when they say, " It is a trick deck"

when it is not...

for once I would like a spectator to just listen to what we say!

Also when a spectator starts to explain possible explanations to the trick, when they are completely wrong.

I personally think that if a spectator asks to see our "art" or what ever you wan't to call it, and then heckles you is ointless and stupid, I mean ifthey want to see magic let us &@%*#$! finish!

if you aren't using a trick deck, then hand it out for inspection.

one of my mates always thinks i'm doing magic. i'll pick something up and he'll wait expectantly for some magic. then i say 'what?' and he usually says 'i thought you were going to make it explode or something' all the time. he thinks i can make things explode.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results