Worst trick you've purchased

Aug 31, 2007
I'm curious to find out what were your worst magic purchases ?

I bought An effect called The Creeps by Ben Harris. You get a matchbox and a rubberband. Absolutelty worthless!!!!!

I'm embarrassed I bought it ....

Stu-pendous

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2010
Perth, Australia
www.facebook.com
I wouldn't really day I have bought any "bad" tricks. But in terms of money and usage, the M5 system was one that I bought brand new and literally never used.
It didn't suit my style of magic, but the visual nature of it hooked me in.
Ended up selling it for $30 years later.

Oct 23, 2014
The Gecko. I imagine some people could use it to great effect, but I couldn't fathom how to make any of it believable at all.

Feb 18, 2015
I hated Ben Harris's other effect, "The Enlightenment." It was on sale (50 percent off), but still 45 dollars.
I also hated this not very famous book you guys have never heard of called Royal Road to Card Magic... (Just Kidding! My favorite purchase of all time was RRTCM)

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
I haven't had a 'worst' purchase...yet.

The least effective magic trick I have acquired was Tenyo Magic's 'Ghost Card'.

Keep in mind, 90% of my magic inventory is Tenyo.

It's a neat trick, don't get me wrong. But it travels POORLY, which relegates it to parlour. But the effect is only good for close up because of its size.

So it's not really good anywhere aside from collecting.

Dec 30, 2014
Mine is probably SpelloChange. It's a clever idea but really only for tv or online, I just hate not ending clean and close up you can kinda of see the method.

Or Fan2C I like the idea and the method I just think I would prefer Royal Flash. I don't like not ending clean and it's not as visual as royal flash. But really clever idea and I like it for the internet just not something I would perform live. Yet.

But to end on a positive note my favourite trick is probably Stand Up Monte.

Oct 19, 2015
As a kid, 11 to 13 years old, I had been practicing magic for a few months and my best friend had a big brother in high school that was a very good magician (buy my standards at the time). I talked my friend into 'selling' me a trick I saw his brother perform that "Amazed" me. He wanted $5 for the trick! The trick was sticking hat pins in a balloon without it popping...it was simply amazing! Back in the early 60's $5 was a ton of money....but in time I saved the money and gave him the money. When he told me how to do the trick, I was REALLY disappointed.....the gimmick was simple stupid! Yet, when doing kids shows, I still use this trick! Go Figure?

Aug 31, 2007
Killer Red Caps is another horrible product... maybe in the right hands it can have potential however I sold this on eBay the same day I received it . Very disappointing!!!

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
MOVE by Marc Smith. I felt cheated out of my money when I downloaded that trick because the advertising points did not match up with the product. The trick is good because it's the haunted deck but I will never substitute my Loops or Tarantula for this method.

Aug 31, 2007
Another honourable mention would be the haunted deck .... before you hang me for treason hear me out.....

For camera it looks fantasic, as well with stage .... but I'm all about close up performances ...

And when I recieved it for the first time I looked at it and said to myself " no one will be fooled by this "

In the right hands this effect is amazing but I feel like it's just not practical......

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
Another honourable mention would be the haunted deck .... before you hang me for treason hear me out.....

For camera it looks fantasic, as well with stage .... but I'm all about close up performances ...

Haven't heard that before... I have performed the haunted deck in close up situations hundreds of times. You just need to have the right combination of lighting and distance for any unique setting. People completely flip out or are left speechless, especially if you use the turn over effect called the "Shadow Reveal" which Justin Miller helped to popularize in the Loops project.

As far as worst purchases... I'll have to think ponder about that.

Aug 31, 2007
I just feel I was never in the right lighting situation.I remember first opening the deck and my first reaction was

" seriously.... no one will be fooled by this !" Just my honest reaction. Who the hell wants a deck of cards that's intertwined in T#}{\d !!! I was very disappointed. In the right hands sure it can be amazing... but the IT I received with the deck you could see from a mile away.....it was fishing line absolute garbage !

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results