Worst trick you've purchased

Aug 31, 2007
Also any magic sets from Wal-Mart. The products are very cheaply made and you're better off buying from your local magic supplier.....

Another honourable mention is Lite Flite. I played with it for months only to let it sit in my closest for years .... garbage

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
When I first started magic, I bought a 4 DVD Set Called Sleight of Hand With Cards made by Magic Makers and staring Eddy Ray. I didn't really read understand that it was card manipulation rather than card magic before I purchased it.. Also, Eddy Ray's teaching was so bad, he appeared to be boring himself.

Another honourable mention would be the haunted deck .... before you hang me for treason hear me out.....

Which version? I've found the version using loops or Tarantula work well.

Jan 14, 2017
Who the hell wants a deck of cards that's intertwined in T#}{\d !!! I was very disappointed.
I agree absolutely. By contrast, I purchased Really Haunted (Tannen Magic) and it very cleverly overcomes all this.
The gimmick is completely isolated and the entire deck can be examined before and after. You can even perform several card effects before this one or after this one.

JPS

Dec 21, 2016
Mostly **** 9$ downloads off ellusionist.
Shake by Cody Nottingham
Lynx on penguin magic

[edited by moderator for language]

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I just feel I was never in the right lighting situation.I remember first opening the deck and my first reaction was

" seriously.... no one will be fooled by this !" Just my honest reaction. Who the hell wants a deck of cards that's intertwined in T#}{\d !!! I was very disappointed. In the right hands sure it can be amazing... but the IT I received with the deck you could see from a mile away.....it was fishing line absolute garbage !
Sounds like you're doing haunted pack with some sort of gimmicked deck. F&^$ that noize... Idk if you've used loops but if you haven't you should get some. You can literally do a haunted pack with any deck of cards at any time if you have one and they're easy to make sure they're invisible in close up situations. I promise it won't be a shit purchase and I think you'll have a new found love for the haunted pack lol

Side note, in the right situation, I'll use this method to do the haunted pack on the palms of their hands. You can actually get the cards to not only cut themselves, but have the selection fly out of the pack for you to catch. It makes you look like a total badass if you pull it off AND the deck is left in their hands, 100% clean.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I've yet to try the haundted deck with loops but maybe I'll give it a go!!

One thing to know is that they WILL break on you. Fortunately, now, they come in packs of 8 instead of 5 like they used to. It's worth it, though, and there are SO many other things you can do as well. You can also look into Legacy Thread. They sell a system for tying them and I've heard several people speak very highly of their thread. It's more costly up front, but might save you money in the long run if you start using them all the time.

I'm done hijacking this thread and thought I should contribute to the original conversation now lol

I personally felt severely ripped off with OSYN. The switch is good and so is Mark Calabrese. I'll use it. But the "gimmicks" it comes with are already lying around my house. Sitting right next to me when I made the purchase no less. The advertised trick was "any card named appears." Well, in order for that to be possible they made use of The Advocate. THAT'S HALF THE METHOD. I've seriously never been more pissed off at a magic video. I know for a fact this is AT LEAST the third time Daniel Madison has re-released The Advocate and I hated the thing from the start. Mark's switch is great, don't get me wrong. I've been performing Jay Sankey's Paperclipped off/on for years and it made it 100x cleaner. It's the price tag (probably due to the fact that you're actually getting OSYN as well as The Advocate) and the fact that they deceptively conned me into buying the same ****ing thing again.

[edited by moderator for language]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Serals Magic
Aug 31, 2007
Another honourable mention would have to be Jay Sankeys "Moving Violation"

I love many of sankeys effects however this one just really disappointed me, the gimmick is poorly made and I've maybe used it once in the real world ...
Since then it's collected dust on my shelf ...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results