Yet Another Brown Wynn Review

I, like a small child when told not to touch something, have the immediate compulsion to post my own review on everything I purchase mostly because most reviews are about as useful as a pet rock. They are either a high pitched fanboy rant about how amazing something is or a high pitched fanboy rant about why something is totally crap and how we should all grab our torches and pitch forks and kill whoever is selling such product.

In the case of Brown Wynns we find ourselves in a sticky situation, much like Winny the Pooh getting his head stuck in a jar of honey. We were introduced to these new cards, Wynns, which very few people had heard of, then within a week they were hyped up more than alcahol and drugs and are made out to be the second coming of Jesus Christ, then hey presto they wee magically available to everyone. Now before I get started on the first review I wish to point out the total irrelevance of the 'rarity' of the cards when it came to my purchase or to this review. In fact I bought these cards, like I'm sure most people buy any custom deck, because I thought they looked pretty. That's right, all the marketing mumbo jumbo about exponential time physics and that they are rarer than a the easter bunny, and what was the end result? Pretty shiny things.

With the long introduction out the way, I guess we'll get right into the review then. Brown Wynns are Playing Cards. They handle like Playing Cards. Look like Playing Cards. They even smell like Playing Cards. That's right people, no Water into Wine, just some Playing Cards. I assume most people aren't reading this review to be told the blatant obvious, so if there is anyone reading this review that was already smart enough to understand that no matter what someone says about a deck of cards, it doesn't change the fact they are still just little pieces of cardboard and not a deck of Jerry Nuggets soaked in Heroin.

The cards immediately feel different from Bicycles and Tally-Ho's mostly because they are. They are printed on different stock and have a different finish to the point I am glad I wasn't in the prison shower when I opened them because I dropped them almost immediatley. I being used to ruining a deck in a few minutes to the point it is 5 times the size didn't immediately notice that the Wynns were any bigger than any other deck, in fact I still can't. The edges were soft right out the box, unlike they icky sandpaper feeling you get from Tally's, and they handled beautifully for cuts.

The large pips, were very large, so large in fact I almost wondered if the pips were going to start orbiting around them in some weird solar system diorama display. They do however grow on you quickly and actually make the deck a lot more fun to use. The deck isn't that great for fanning, I'm not sure if it is the finish or just the thickness of the cards but they just aren't that fun to fan. Can you fan them? Yes. Do they fan well? Yes. The feeling just isn't there though, it's like waking up after falling asleep at your desk and half your face is numb.

Is this deck the Titanic of all Decks? No. If you are sick of Bicycles and Tally-Ho's and are looking for a change in deck clothing then pick up some Brown Wynns. They are a great deck of cards, and I personally love the design. So if you like what they look like, get them, they are the same price as any other custom deck so what's the difference? If you are simply getting them because they are rare or because you are expecting Martin Luther King to jump out of the box when they arrive, you will be sorely disappointed.

When my Red and Blue Wynns arrive I will probably also review and compare those, so stay tuned. (Assuming my review doesn't get deleted for its PG13 references)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with a lot of what you said. A lot of people thought this deck of cards was going to literally perform the tricks or flourishes for them.

I do have to say that at first these cards handle very nicely, but after a couple hours or so they seem to clump up. I can see the appeal for flourishers but not so much magicians.

I also ordered a brick of half red half blue, so we'll see how those hold up. Either way, its a good invesment even if you just want to sell them.

Nice Review.

Sep 1, 2007
Try this,

After the Wynn begins to clumps, powder the deck and keep them in a card guard and leave it overnight. This method gave me a deck that is smooth to fan, spread and it seems to also reduce the warping as well.

Oct 9, 2007
Personally, I think they are too stiff and would rather pay less for a better looking deck that handles better. But that's me.

And also I think DnD selling the Red and Blue decks have just made this whole Wynn fiasco to be a fake. I was unsure about the Wynns when they first went on sale, and now the Red and Blue are being sold, it just sort of confirms these aren't as rare as first stated.

Also, I don't know if these handle like Jerrys. I've got a deck of Jerrys but it would be ridiculously stupid for me to open them unless I want to loose a large amount of money. So can't really compare there.

Sep 1, 2007
hilarious review!!! :D

o yea first theory 11 says "these handle exponentially better than any blue/red wynn deck"

then DnD say "these blue/red wynns are the best handling decks ever"

now kiddies... who can you believe?

the answer... neither! whatever deck they are selling, is always going to be the "BEST HANDLING ULTRA RARE DECK" ever. this is pretty much what I hate about theory 11.

Sep 2, 2007
London
LOL fletch, i bet you that gonna get deleted.

But about the review, good effort man. Nice to have a opinion on there in instead of just hitting us with the facts on the side of the box.

-Jon

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
hilarious review!!! :D

o yea first theory 11 says "these handle exponentially better than any blue/red wynn deck"

then DnD say "these blue/red wynns are the best handling decks ever"

now kiddies... who can you believe?

the answer... neither! whatever deck they are selling, is always going to be the "BEST HANDLING ULTRA RARE DECK" ever. this is pretty much what I hate about theory 11.

Somebody had an extra cup of Hateraid this morning....

--Jim

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results