Your Last Performance : To The Next Level

Sep 14, 2007
Today I watched a video online that a friend of mine forwarded to me. The video was of a college professor named Randy Pausch from Carnegie-Melon University. The subject of this particular lecture, and others like it from other professors in the series, was on an interesting topic: what if today were your last? Don't get all pessimistic; it's a valid question.

I found the topic incredibly moving and insightful, and it's been on my mind all day. I can't shake it. Before I say anything further, please head to the link below and watch the (very short, succinct) video. Trust me, it's worth it: link.

Assuming you've now watched it, I'm wondering how many of you now have the same thought as I. Without getting all pessimistic - what if it all ended tomorrow? Are you happy with where you are in the art of magic, cardistry - as a performer? As a person? As I thought more and more about it, the more inspiring this became. For all of you with goals like me out there - what's stopping us? Are you hitting brick walls and stopping, or are you plowing through?

It's very easy for people, and me especially, to constantly get bogged down and discouraged by the roadblocks I face daily. I get nervous. I doubt myself. I get scared that I'll mess up.

I had a bad performance a few weeks ago, and I know it could have been better. My WERM cut could be a lot smoother. I could have put more passion into that show I did a few months ago. I could have done better. I want to. I want to perform from now on like it's my last performance and the reviews are clutch. I think performing with that in mind will keep me inspired and moving forward and above all else, help me take things to the next level.

James / geneXis

The biggest question you have to ask your self is not why, but what? What do you want, what makes you happy, what makes you sad? What inspires you, what makes you passionate, what is the greatest experience, what is the worst?

When you can answer thse questions for yourself, you can do things a lot better.

think about this, if you know what makes you happy, then it is easier to understand what makes others happy. This should help with getting better reactions, and therefore being a better magician in general.

Sep 1, 2007
Great topic and I totally agree, and I know what your saying, I've always thought about it like this.

And no, I'm not happy to where I am as a performer, I am happy about who I am as a person, and for that I'm deeply proud of.

as an entertainer, I know I have the talent, I just need to work at it.

thank you for the reminder though, havn't thought about this with magic so much as everything else.

"The powerful play goes on, and you, may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?"

Anyone know where the quote is from :)?!

~Beans

Dead Poets Society.

Anyway. I'm happy with my magic and how I, myself, am progressing. I'm slowly gaining the nerve to walk up to complete strangers and perform for them. If I make it there in a month, great. If I make it there in a year, that would be fine too.

PS- A bit off topic, but this article about Randy Pausch brought me to tears.
"I hope my wife is able to remarry down the line. And I hope they will remember me as a man who loved them, and did everything he could for them."
God bless.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results