Your learning process? (from a noob perspective)

Sep 11, 2011
Florida, USA
xmetal.me
Hi all,

Thanks to that handy internet, I just stumbled into this entire world of cardistry about a week ago. I honestly had no idea it existed, but as a young lad of 8 or so I was intensely interested in cards and magic but really never did much about it for the last 25 years or so. Well, now it's time to change that!

My question is for you to think back to how you got started. I'm mainly struggling with the nearly infinite variety of moves out there that all look equally awesome to me, all of which I want to know NOW.

I will be buying Genesis v1 soon (as I'm quite clear that it's basically a requirement) and have been working on a variety of things already (such as the charlier, scissor cuts, Flac, Mime, riffles, springs, Werm, etc) but don't have a clear idea on when it's best to move on from the basic to the more complex.

Did you 'perfect' things like the charlier, or call it a day when you are good 95% of the time and move on to something more complex? I'm pretty dextrous and have some muscle memory from my youth but see SO MANY moves that I just desperately want to know but quite obviously am not ready for.

How about you, when you were new and fresh? Did you try everything? DId you focus on one thing? I know this will all take a lot of practice but want to do my learning smartly.

Thanks all, you folks are amazing!

First off congratulations, you are one of the lucky few to discover and and have the drive to do cardistry. Basically cardistry is a lot like learning a language. After you learn one learning others becomes easier, So pick one flourish (and i dont mean a charlier or a swivel cut but an entire sequence from the vast quantity of free tutorials on youtube, just make sure what you pick to learn isn't crap) you like and completely master it then move to another. Just when it comes to flourishing don't spread yourself too thin.

Sep 11, 2011
Florida, USA
xmetal.me
Thanks fellas, that was kind of what I was wondering. So focusing on one good beginner sequence (while still practicing the very very basics) would be a good step to take. Makes sense, but that immediately puts the question into my mind of "which one do I possibly pick!?" There are so many cool looking sequences out there.

I had saved out a few that caught my eye, including the Tumblr, Feather Flourish and the Plasma cut. Anything you experts would suggest as one good beginner level one to play with?

It's a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to dazzling strangers in a coffee shop someday. :)

Nov 27, 2010
First off congratulations, you are one of the lucky few to discover and and have the drive to do cardistry. Basically cardistry is a lot like learning a language. After you learn one learning others becomes easier, So pick one flourish (and i dont mean a charlier or a swivel cut but an entire sequence from the vast quantity of free tutorials on youtube, just make sure what you pick to learn isn't crap) you like and completely master it then move to another. Just when it comes to flourishing don't spread yourself too thin.

Yeah dude, you are so lucky you even discovered this art form. I assure you as you advance in cardistry your life will slowly change into a freakin wonderland especially when you go somewhere with a bunch of strangers. You need to scavenger youtube for the most impressive moves. You are a beginner so you still have the mindset of a laymen. So whatever move you watch that impresses YOU or makes YOU gasp and say, "that was awesome" you need to learn it. Truth is if you think it is cool then chances are everybody else will too!!!..........Good Luck, don't give up.....and remember this is a rare artform ,and if you practice hard for about a month the laymen will think you have been playing with cards for years.

Sep 11, 2011
Florida, USA
xmetal.me
Thanks, and I see what you are saying. Some of these things I watch and am just perplexed beyond all reason. But when you start to break it down you can see what's going on, and then it's just a matter of getting your darn fingers to do what you want. :)

That Cardshark88 does have some good tutorials and teaches things well, I think that I'll go through some of that until I get Genesis, and hopefully have a decent base to learn some cool things.

And of course related to all this is the desire to own beautiful decks of cards, so I've gone from not owning a single deck to having about 10 (and not just plain Bicycle decks) in a week or so. :) Love it.

It is nice to see someone so excited about this artform. I highly suggest learning a version of sybil as a lot of flourishes are based on it. It will also get your hands used to holding multiple packets.

I would also look into the System by Dan & Dave. They are pioneers of flourishing, and this dvd has some amazing flourishes in it. However it is kinda hard to get your hands on this gem, so if you have trouble finding it...you could go with Papercuts which has a a similar style of flourishing.

Sep 11, 2011
Florida, USA
xmetal.me
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I did pick up Genesis and am working on that (along with some other introductory level moves I've seen on youtube), slowly getting my hands use to stretching out for all these wacky holds. I know this will take a while but feel that a slow and steady pace will get me doing some pretty cool stuff in a few months time. I do have the Sybil on my radar and am working on the beginning pieces of that.

My biggest issue right now is deciding which deck of cards to use. I got about 10 nice ones, and some are so awesome looking I want to use them, but don't want to wreck them as I fumble through these beginner phases. Life is rough.

@Onimusha, where in Ohio are you? I moved from the Cleveland/Akron area last year...

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I did pick up Genesis and am working on that (along with some other introductory level moves I've seen on youtube), slowly getting my hands use to stretching out for all these wacky holds. I know this will take a while but feel that a slow and steady pace will get me doing some pretty cool stuff in a few months time. I do have the Sybil on my radar and am working on the beginning pieces of that.

My biggest issue right now is deciding which deck of cards to use. I got about 10 nice ones, and some are so awesome looking I want to use them, but don't want to wreck them as I fumble through these beginner phases. Life is rough.

@Onimusha, where in Ohio are you? I moved from the Cleveland/Akron area last year...

I just moved to Cincinnati, but I have lived in Dayton and Columbus.

And don't worry about wrecking cards. You can always buy more (unless they are rare cards then yes be careful) I have a decent sized collection of about 75 decks, and I have 1 of each kind open. Putting your cards on a rotation (Any amount over 3 decks should work) allows you to get a longer life out of your decks. When the one you're playing with starts to clump, or you just feel like using a different deck, set it aside and move to the next in your rotation. When you finally rotate back to that deck it will have recovered and feel new again. This way you CAN play with all of your decks. Hope this helps with your issue.

Sep 11, 2011
Florida, USA
xmetal.me
Thanks for the card suggestions! I have about 12 decks now and am generally doing what you suggest. I do keep my cheap basic Bicycle decks for the stuff I know I will be more likely to drop, like tosses and flips. We can all get a pair of those at the trusty Walmart anytime.

Sep 24, 2011
Thanks for the card suggestions! I have about 12 decks now and am generally doing what you suggest. I do keep my cheap basic Bicycle decks for the stuff I know I will be more likely to drop, like tosses and flips. We can all get a pair of those at the trusty Walmart anytime.

The best cards are called jerry's nugget but they cost around $300 I found a deck called lures of the past at general store fore $3 they feel exactly like my jerrys

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
The best cards are called jerry's nugget but they cost around $300 I found a deck called lures of the past at general store fore $3 they feel exactly like my jerrys

Well, Jerrys are certainly some of the most expensive cards, but I wouldn't say they are the absolute best. With that being said, I have never handled Jerry's but based on many things that I have heard, I think it is really a psychological feeling.

Sep 24, 2011
Well, Jerrys are certainly some of the most expensive cards, but I wouldn't say they are the absolute best. With that being said, I have never handled Jerry's but based on many things that I have heard, I think it is really a psychological feeling.

No, the stock is so thick it barely bends and the finnish makes its so when you are doing a cut the packets stay square they never fall apart unless you want them to.

Sep 11, 2011
Florida, USA
xmetal.me
I'm slowly starting to see/feel the difference between cards. All the decks I have are good quality nice ones, but some do seem to handle a little better than others. I've been rotating through my decks so as not to wear them too quickly, and pull out the cheapo decks for the stuff that really beats em, like aerials and springs.

As an update, I'm slowly but surely getting more adept at handling these cards and finally got the Sybil going. Yes, I realize it's rudimentary for most of you but I feel a bit more confident keeping all those fingers in line and not constantly playing the dropsies. :)

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
No, the stock is so thick it barely bends and the finnish makes its so when you are doing a cut the packets stay square they never fall apart unless you want them to.

Yours are thick? 99% of the people who have Jerry's say that they are actually rather thin.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results