Your Magic- Mindless Entertainment or a Meaningful Experience?

Whats up guys,

Today, as I was daydreaming and not paying any attention what so ever in Spanish 1, I was thinking:

What makes people want to see a person perform again and again?

What makes people want to watch a movie again after they've seen it already?

What makes people want to read a book over and over again?

And why does some people only see a show or read a book just once. Just read or watch something and just be over with it and not interested anymore?

I found an answer and this can benifit your performance tremendously by tweaking your show just a tiny bit.

Magic is a form of entertainment. Much like music, television, movies, and books. Some movies such as Forest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, Radio, We Are Marshal, Coach Carter, ect., have meaning to it. People connect with it. Relate to it in a way. As suppose to flops like Epic Movie and Doom, that in my oppinion was mindless humor and violence, I don't seen getting an Emmy anytime soon.

Magic is the same. If you attach meaning or something that will relate to your audience on an emotional level and connect with them, that will keep them coming back for more. It doesn't have to be every effect that you have to have much meaning for, but some point in your performance you have to truely have this connection with the audience that you can just feel. An effect I use to do this is Daniel Garcia's "Life". You can make this effect much more than just a magic trick. It can be something beautiful. And I believe it was Gambit that said that we once performed this effect and made someone cry. The same with someone eles with v. 2 of Stigmata.

If you don't do this and just "do" the trick with absolutely no connectivity and no care in the way your audience feels emotionally, then your performance will be a flop and they won't remember you longer than a couple weeks. Your goal should be to make them remember you forever. I don't suggest trying to make them cry but just try to get this vibe with your audience somehow, and you will have one hell of a show. And you never know, someone in the audience might be a talent agent or something and if you really just have this vibe to him/her, then you might make it big. If not, we wont think twice.

Be more than some kid doing magic tricks on the side of the street. Inspire someone. Make them feel like they are in a dreamland just for a moment. Because like all great movies/music/books, you must have moral and meaning.

What things do you do and effects you use to get this connection? What do you do to give the audience that experiance they'll never forget?

I often like to compare film makers to magicians, because film makers capture the audience's emotions and shows something in front of their eyes that is completely amazing. That is exactly what we have to do as magicians, we must create emotion within our spectators. When a magician can learn how to create emotion, they will learn how to create wonder, astonishment, and truly amazing, one of a kind reactions.

Mitchell

Well depends on the situation. Some of my magic I admit is just pure spectacle and entertainment. But I do (I hope) provide magic that sticks in their mind and is an experience that will not soon be forgotten.

One must know the enviroment, ie: Socio-political, cultural, geographical. Just by knowing these things one can modify the patter to fit any situation and publics.

the most 'sticks in your head' effects are the ones that the audience apparently seem to be doing.

Just my 2cents..

Aug 31, 2007
That's weird, I never made my magic a "meaningful experience". I don't set out to connect with my audience on an "emotional level" or whatever. I just do it and have fun.

Wonder why people still want to watch me and still like my magic. Hmm.

- harapan. magic!

That's weird, I never made my magic a "meaningful experience". I don't set out to connect with my audience on an "emotional level" or whatever. I just do it and have fun.

Wonder why people still want to watch me and still like my magic. Hmm.

- harapan. magic!

Nothing wrong with that, I think the same thing of D.Copperfield. Just because he does not connect with me on an emotional level does not make me not want to watch his shows again and again.

Sep 1, 2007
UK
It's funny how people create topics like this, and yet don't really contribute anything... we know the topic creator uses 'Life' by DG, but that's it... nothing else was given to us.

As for connecting... well yes, to really connect with someone and make an emotional and meaningful impact will have a really powerful response, but there is far more to it than just that, and you can connect on many levels.

Just having a fun and enjoyable time is still connecting and having rapport with the specs, just as anchoring some type of emotional feeling to an experience is.

Different performers will connect in different ways depending on there personality and style.

All good performers connect on some level... but having fun can be just as effective as playing on the emotions brought by such effects as 'Creating Impact' and 'Dearly Departed'.
Oh.. and trust me... they won't soon forget the 'Erotic Seance' lol

Of course, it's silly to think that you need any of this to amaze and astonish someone... CIB's, CTW's, Levitations etc etc can be extremely powerful and memorable without any rapport building... especially as a hit and run.

Paul Brooks has a serial number divination where the spectator removes a note and you tell them the serial number... you've never met this person, you never touch there note, infact you can look away the entire time. It'a about as close to real as ive seen... now this will be remembered.

I agree with Y2John, although it is nice to give a memorable experience by including your spectator and making them feel like they helped you create the magic that there are times a good joke and some fire magic with a little humor goes a long way and if your funny and true to yourself people will think your entertaining. I find that when I don't take myself too seriously and I am honest and just have fun with my guest they want to come back and see more of me. 10% trick & 90% performance thats my motto.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results