Your Routine

Dec 13, 2007
North Hollywood
well

As the title says

what is your routine, and style of preformence.
Who are you? By this i mean, Are you a dark character, or funny, or what?

My routine goes like this

Cold- Dee Christopher
Irreverable- D+M
Bad influence- D+M
Stigmata- Wayne Houchin

Its very Mentalism based and hits hard

Im working on a routine to incorperate

Fire stuff, like Warning and Burn.
I also Came up with my own variation of Angle Zero using Fire.

Well your turn.

Honestly, I initially saw a problem in your routine. I don't feel like going into any detail about it, but send me a PM if you would like to discuss.

My routine is not about the magic, but about the stories that are told. Every performance is an experience, my character is funny, witty, sharp, dark, and mysterious. People learn to laugh and cry, be both happy and scared.

Magic is about the experience, magic is about the moment, magic is about....the actual reality, which is only what we perceive reality to be.

In reality, all we have is what we perceive, to a friend, the sky is blue during the day and black at night, but to me (and my girl coincidentally) the sky purple during the day and black at night. (don't enjoy the color blue) Mine is due to a different reason than hers, but it's all how we perceive things.

This is my midnight ramble....

Mr. J

oh and by the way.....I'm back

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I often use a sandwich similar to subway followed by by the vanish in the Biddle trick. I then use the Asher twist and finally the big surprise at the end of the Biddle Trick. Weeeeeell...I haven't actually done this yet but I'm practicing it up.

My character? I don't do magic tricks, but I found I had the ability to make stuff move by itself. I can make cards and coins and stuff jump from one place to another and turn over etc...

Nice thread btw.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Oookkaayy.

My performing persona, or character, is very much 'Me'. I don't affect an alter ego, I have a very laid back conversational style, and I think that it is recognisable to the spectator, putting them at ease. My initial focus is to connect with the audience, but to do that, I really think that we have to be comfortable, and having a good time ourselves. Good spirits are easy to spread, and if you are having a good time, it is much easier for the audience to have a good time too!

I recently wrote on my routining on www.magicplazza.com, But I will briefly re-iterate here, Anybody wanting to know the full overview can check it out there...

Basically, I do not go out with a set routine. I have a stock of effects which I always try to perform, but apart from that, I very much 'jazz' my way through. This is because, I like to lead ny example, And firmly believe that if I want to keep a spectator on her toes, I may as well be right there with her! And no, It's not a s irresponsible as you may think, as my many professional bookings attest to!

That said, I do (as mentioned) have a set of stock effects which i always TRY to perform. They are...

-Charming Chinese Challenge (Troy Hooser). I love this effect, and it's great for walkaround, as it's one of those rare things- an actual performance piece which can be performed in the hands, with LOTS of audience participation. Plus it is VERY visual. I tweaked the ending a little to end clean, but other than that I do it very much in it's original form.

-Stigmata (Wayne Houchin). Need I say more? It's a very hard hitting effect, and again, gets a spectator involved.

-Some of my own effects...

*Sandwiched stretch. A very visual and strange card effect with some very disarming set up and a very strange visual moment. To be released soon.

*UVT. Literally, 'Ultra Visual Triumph'. It does what it says on the tin. Very commercial, and the most visual Triumph moment I've ever seen. Not to blow my owm trumpet! To be released soon.

*Drop. I don't want to say too much about this one, but it will be released soon.

*Artistic Licence. A very cool transformation of a drawing to suit a chosen card. This reads dry but is very cool, and very visual. I've shared this with a few pro's, and Cameron Francis and Morgan Bondett have praised it very highly! To be released soon.

So there you go.

A few tips from my working head!

CL

Jan 16, 2008
Thanks for this thread...cuz I just noticed.

I don't have a routine.

Is this a serious issue? Can anyone help advise me on what is a "good routine"?

Thanks.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am releasing them in a set of notes through www.whosmagic.com, the people who released 'Phork', 'The Game', 'Water to Beer' and Liam Montiers 'Cherry Cola Queen'.

The Manuscript is entitled 'Close up Adventures' and anybody interested can drop me a PM if they would like more details, or advance descriptions of effects!

Thanks for the interest!

CL

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I am releasing them in a set of notes through www.whosmagic.com, the people who released 'Phork', 'The Game', 'Water to Beer' and Liam Montiers 'Cherry Cola Queen'.

The Manuscript is entitled 'Close up Adventures' and anybody interested can drop me a PM if they would like more details, or advance descriptions of effects!

Thanks for the interest!

CL

I look forward to it!

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Thanks!

I'll pop an 'alert' on here when It's released to let you all know, but I'm planning on hosting a discussion forum over at the plazza forums after it is released.

As an aside, peel your eyes for Jay Crowes upcoming book, NULL, also through whosmagic.com.

I've had an advance peek as I'm doing some promotion work for it, and it has some GREAT stuff in there!

CL

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Whassup guys. As a show of appreciation for any support offered here from you guys, I've put up a free effect, direct from my working repertoire, on the www.magicplazza.com forum.

It's a very cool (or, er, HOT!), torn and restored effect, and it plays VERY big. Because of the nature of the effect it can be used for a platform effect as well as strolling, table hopping, and stand up magic.

Hope yopu enjoy!

CL

Nov 30, 2007
I am usually just a kind of laid back friendly magician and I occasionaly throw in some jokes.

I mostly do tricks such as:

Double D's and Aces by Syd Segal (I love this effect and almost always open with it)

Deja vu by Dan and Dave Buck (I love this effect also and I almost always present it second after I have the aces from Double D's and Aces)

Collectors by Syd Segal (Very nice collectors with a great ending)

Those are mainly some of my favorite tricks that I perform quite often especially the first two (Double D's and Aces and Deja vu). I have more good tricks but those are just a few. Adios!

May 19, 2008
manchester
im not actually sure of my routine...

he he I wanna make one but im not sure...

oh well

maybe ill get an idea from one of you guys, so you gotta right lots of cool routines now or im gonna burst from thinking to much and from breathing in of my left nose nostrel (sp.) and breath out of my right, (its hard) oh well

ill shut up now

Oct 30, 2008
www.youtube.com
my ruitine is

-angle zero

-sticky situation

-Card thru bottle

My persona is very calm but also a bit sinester, similar to David Blaine's persona. But as Houchin has said before, it is best to be a normal person. I like to pull off a lil darkness every now and then.

Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com
Basically, I do not go out with a set routine. I have a stock of effects which I always try to perform, but apart from that, I very much 'jazz' my way through. This is because, I like to lead ny example, And firmly believe that if I want to keep a spectator on her toes, I may as well be right there with her!

"Jazz". What a beautiful way to describe your style. In actual, its what i do too. It makes it more challenging and spontaneous that way, for both ends. Though it may lead to unnecessary actions (IE Ego change - only used as orbital bombardment).

When i perform, i dont just do tricks. Thats not what it should be.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
well, i usually have a few variations on my routine for different situations or moods, but here goes.

openers
--coin routine. if they have a lighter visibly on them i will use a flash paper appearance for the coin going into vanishes and re-appearances and usually end with a jumbo coin transpo or a revelation in their own pocket. i also use the muscle pass for a anti-gravity trick if it strikes me
--biddle trick. if im carrying only a deck of cards you cant beat biddle trick it sets a great mood for a routine.
--a mixture of recapped, pen through cheek and marksmanship. all are great to get a ben or marker out for later routines

tricks
i usually follow with bizzare twist then bizzare vanish
following that i will either use a acr or whack your pack trick.
next i like to use either french kiss or a watch steal to really get the spectator unsettled.

Closer
i usually close with Stigmata. i find that you cant get more powerful than that and its not much use trying to follow it up with something else. gotta love it

alternative tricks i through in from time to time
if im at a dinner or bbq i will use something like mindbender spoon bend, or SINFUL. I also use CoinOne and CoinTwo for more formal times. Breach is good if you happen to have a glass table around. Indecent is good but dont use it that often (more because im still working on it to make it perfect). i also use on rare occasions some of david stone's work like the bottle appearance or...dang forgot the name of the trick but anyways

any comments?

Apr 27, 2008
I have two or three routines but the main one I use includes a mixture of money, mentalism, and cards.

Open up with some cards, very casual and what every magician has.
Blindsided followed up by The Switch (don't know real name of trick)
RGM sometimes (I think)

Grab some money since they can trust me with it hopefully
5 and 1 Transpo or You and Me.
Then follow up with cornered if guy is involved, if not then Psychic Serial

Then hit off with some mentalism
Stigmata, For Andruzzi if RGM works, or some type of swami trick.

The order of tricks is somewhat like this but I make sure I have a reason to pull out money or do my mentalism part.

Usually have four or five tricks, depends on a few factors like enviornment or something similar, but I love to to have a multitude of tricks so they are thoroughly entertained. I like variety as do most of my audiences.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
I like to go improv, you know?

Do some hit and run.

But the main tricks I perform are: (my list, FOR NOW)

2 Card Monte
My version of Commercial by...me
Fatal by d+M
WItness by Lee Asher
Stigmata by WH
WH's Kiss transpo
shifty by CHris Kenner
catch (when I feel show off-y) by d+M
Pip Matrix by Justin Miller
Lit by Dan Hauss
Transtorn by d+M
Trip by d+M
Thirteen by d+M
A couple of effects from BURN by d+M

Those are the main ones I do, to random people depending on the situation. I DO NOT perform them all consecutively, rathe rI do what I please, when I please :D.

It all depends on the spectator really. Oh - and my performance style? I let the spectator's egos grow, and then I break it down. With a hammer. Of doom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results