Your Tricks

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
Originally Posted by darosa.justin

Originally Posted by OwnerM View Post
I've created a card trick that I do regularly, and trying to create more.

However, I've found that my forte is not creating an effect, but reworking an existing effect. For example I like to mix Control with an ACR and turn it into a "ghost story" kind of effect.

Wow! Those are two tricks you usually hear in one sentence!

I'd really love to hear how you present the effect(s)!

Sure. I've typed this before but I don't remember where so I'll retype it here.

Basically you do a few ACR effects and save this one for last, all during the time of doing the ACR's keep saying things like "I have a strange feeling", or " did you see that?", or "there's something different about this place", etc, etc.

Sometimes, I don't even do an ACR routine, but I do make it a point that there is something "special" going on in the place, and it might be the right venue to do something out of the ordinary, something you don't usually do....

Whichever way you do it, the goal is to creep up the room a little. :)

Then tell them that for this last trick, you will enter the "other world". Start an ACR, one that makes it look like you don't know their card. Get the card to the top but don't reveal.

Put the deck on the table, sit in a chair some feet away and say something like, "Okay, in order to find your card, I'm going into the 'other world'. In order to enter the 'other world' I have to do into a deep trance and stop my body functions. I have to get very close to 'passing over'. But I need one of you to watch the deck. Just watch it, please don't touch it or you will disturb the beings in the 'other world'."

Then perform Control. When you come "out of the 'other world'", weakly point to the deck, shake your finger, cough and say "Check the deck. Check the top card!".

You get the rest. :)

At this point, when everyone is astonished, I tell them that I fooled them and what I did was lie. There is no "other world", in fact, this is a trick anyone in the room can perform....but........I don't recommend it....

I get stunned silence every time. Now they know there's nothing supernatural, and they haven't a clue how this worked. :)

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
i generally ONLY perform my own material. i have created around 40 effects, which run the gamut from cards to coins to whatever else, a mentalism effect, some ring on rope moves and some effective and quirky sleights. all will be released in the near future.

C!

Jun 18, 2008
USA
I know this is old, but I thought I'd put my word in :)

I've created a lot of card tricks over the years- some involving no sleights at all, and some requiring a multitude of sleights and misdirection. When I'm actually performing for someone, I usually use only a few of my own creations:

C.F.B. (Card From Box) - A very cool, visual, get-me-those-reactions kind of trick. To my knowledge, I'm the only person ever to have come up with an effect like this.

Thr3e - My own take and handling on the classic sandwich effect. Involves three different spectators' selection.

Reverso - The very first magical encounter I had was with a book when I was ten. Scarne On Card Tricks (Scarne, John) - 150 tricks not involving any sleight-of-hand. Inside was this trick: a card is chosen, placed in the deck, the deck is cut behind the performer's back, and the chosen card is shown to be the only face-up card in the deck. Since that time, I created a variation of the handling that could be adapted to fit modern times- in other words, the deck was visible the whole time, the cards were spread instantly after replacing the selection, and then with just a snap/wave/etc, it changed. I recently made yet another variation to handling on this trick, one that I feel makes the overall effect much, much greater.

I plan on creating a file of some sort (probably a video) with the effects and submitting it to a few different magic providers. I've also created multiple sleights (after research, I still retain this opinion) and a few simple flourishes/cuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results