Magic Camp!

Sep 4, 2007
Hey! I just read about the "Sorcerer's Safari Camp". It's a magic camp without the magic. Well they do magic but very little of it from what I've heard. Has anyone heard of Tannen's Magic Camp? It is a 1 week all magic camp. I mean nothing but magic and it is awesome! Tannen's is also a magic shop in NYC and they are one of the biggest magic shops I'm told. The camp currently runs out of Bryn Mawr PA. A Beautiful College! A few years ago it was voted the most beautiful campus in the country! Each camper gets their own indoor dorm room! Each room has plenty of space and AC. The camp also has an amazing dining hall with an amazing food staff. Over the course of the week campers attend classes, workshops, and a special lecture each day! On the first full day there is a competition. It is divided into 4 categories. Jr Close-up, Sr Close-up, Jr Stage, and Sr Stage. Everyone performs and is judged. The next day in their free time campers are critiqued in an American Idol manner. The best four people out of every category advance to the finals and on the second to last night they perform again. On the last day the awards are given out. The day is set out like this: At 8:00 everyone wakes up. At 9:15 everyone walks to the dining hall for breakfast (everything is indoors so nobody has to walk any long distances. This year I just had to go up a flight of stairs to breakfast!) Then around 10:30 everyone heads over to their classes for an hour and a half. You can take stage or close-up and the classes are grouped by age and ability. There are 10 campers and about 2 counselors in a class (on average). Everyone then heads back to the dorms at 12:30 to relax and practice. Canteen is also open at this time. At 1:00 everyone goes to lunch. At 2:00 everyone heads over to the lecture hall where a special guest will give a lecture. Everyone heads back to the dorms at 3:00 for 45 min of rest. From 4:00 to 5:30 you have workshops. These are special classes that you can choose from. Dinner is at 6:00. Then at 7:30 the show starts. Each night special guests come and perform for the camp. The show usually ends around 10:00. Most of the time the performers come back to the dorm building to hang out with the campers. Lights out varies night to night from 10:30 to 11:15. The whole week is loads of fun! What I don't get, is why isn't it as popular? Has anyone heard of tannen's? And how is it that the guests are bigger at SS? Just curious?

Last edited by a moderator:
HAHAHAHAHA!!! Sorcerer's Safari is the best camp around. It's a FRIENDLY environment where everyone is invited to share ideas and not have to compete for the stage. Tannen's guys say that Sorcerer's is the best. We do so much magic with the BEST guys out there you ahve no idea until you come. Its magic camp for magicians who want to learn and who want to have fun too. not just magic nerds.

Research that stuff. Sorcerer's Camp is the BEST!! Ask Lee, Aaron or Wayne. It is. Also with less people you get to spend more time with the guys.

LeeAsher

theory11 artist
Aug 31, 2007
Eugene, Oregon
www.leeasher.com
Which camp is better? That's certainly based on opinion.

Facts:

-Both are sleep-away summer camps.
-Both teach magic.
-Both attract top notch guests.

I guess it really comes down to preference.

Tannen's Magic Camp

newcampbottom.jpg

or

Sorcerers Safari Summer Magic Camp -- photo by C. Lauder

1392796344_593b8001c7.jpg

Which do you prefer?

I know where I like to go...

Asher

D

Deleted member 2755

Nice Lee. ;) However, both are great camps. I can't speak from experience, but I know 2 people that have been to Tannens and apparently it's a great camp. They usually try to get AT LEAST 1 big person there per year.

I'm sure both are great though.

-Doug

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
Lee,

I almost peed my self. But why would you want to go to Tannen''s instead of the Sorcerers where you are teaching?

Strange =)

-Michael

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
At sorcerer's safari, Aaron fisher, Michael Ammar, Lee Asher and Wayne Houchin are there... so your choice, I'd love to go to that one but I cant :(

Ammar the great Ammar there :)

No offense Lee, but in the picture of the first camp, both kids look like they are under the influence of something a little stronger than fanning powder.

In the second picture, not a single kid there has a smile on his face, or even a hint of enjoyment except the cool guy with the black shirt and tie.

No one has said anything about what exactly they teach at these camps, whether it's sleights, corny tricks that require a lot of gimmicks, or the advanced fundamentals of the swing cut.

I don't mean to be harsh, but it seems like all the camps don't have anything to offer that's comparable to T11 or E. But hey, I've never been to one of these camps, and since I have only you guys to tell me what they are like, I may be wrong.

Until they have camps with guys in cool suits wearing black sunglasses and a small earpiece, I won't be very interested.

Or if the camp has anything to do with Criss Kenner.

Feb 21, 2008
In Your Closet
No offense Lee, but in the picture of the first camp, both kids look like they are under the influence of something a little stronger than fanning powder.

In the second picture, not a single kid there has a smile on his face, or even a hint of enjoyment except the cool guy with the black shirt and tie.

No one has said anything about what exactly they teach at these camps, whether it's sleights, corny tricks that require a lot of gimmicks, or the advanced fundamentals of the swing cut.

I don't mean to be harsh, but it seems like all the camps don't have anything to offer that's comparable to T11 or E. But hey, I've never been to one of these camps, and since I have only you guys to tell me what they are like, I may be wrong.

Until they have camps with guys in cool suits wearing black sunglasses and a small earpiece, I won't be very interested.

Or if the camp has anything to do with Criss Kenner.

You misspelt Chris Kenner's name! How could you?

LeeAsher

theory11 artist
Aug 31, 2007
Eugene, Oregon
www.leeasher.com
I don't mean to be harsh, but it seems like all the camps don't have anything to offer that's comparable to T11 or E.

Ummm... You're not harsh, you just don't make any sense.

Can you swim in the theory11 lake?
Have you roasted marshmallows on the E campfire?

Magic Summer camps offers real experiences that can not be gained from the online world.

However, if you want more about Sorcerers Safari Summer Magic Camp. Read this...(it was from last year)

http://leeasher.com/playground/articles/magic_camp-2007.html
(cut and paste if not clickable)

I choose to attend Sorcerers Safari Summer Magic Camp because it's a real summer camp.

Asher

Ummm... You're not harsh, you just don't make any sense.

Can you swim in the theory11 lake?
Have you roasted marshmallows on the E campfire?

Magic Summer camps offers real experiences that can not be gained from the online world.

However, if you want more about Sorcerers Safari Summer Magic Camp. Read this...(it was from last year)

http://leeasher.com/playground/articles/magic_camp-2007.html

I choose to attend Sorcerers Safari Summer Magic Camp because it's a real summer camp.

Asher

You misspelt Chris Kenner's name! How could you?

Oh arrggh!

I have been served by my superiors! Oh the agony! It burns!!!

I take back everything in the other posts. I think I had to many sugary drinks.

I, the felled foe, retreats to my lair to suffer alone...

(Just kidding)

Feb 21, 2008
In Your Closet
Oh arrggh!

I have been served by my superiors! Oh the agony! It burns!!!

I take back everything in the other posts. I think I had to many sugary drinks.

I, the felled foe, retreats to my lair to suffer alone...

(Just kidding)

But I still think there's something wrong with the kids in that first picture.

Sep 4, 2007
Alright. Just so everyone knows I'm not saying one camp is better than the other. I just felt like starting a thread lol. I just thought that tannen's would attract magicians more because it is just magic. So all week you learn magic. And you can pretty much learn whatever you want there. I also agree that the Tannen's camp photo is really, really weird. I took a few photo's while Josh Jay was there. I should've taken photo's at normal times though too. http://img133.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1000495ds0.jpg
http://img67.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1000493kf7.jpg
http://img514.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1000492jv6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 21, 2008
Ohio
Both of these camps sound great! I'm going to research them both. Does anyone know how they compare to The Noblezada Experience? Also how much do they cost, and how long do they last? Thanks.

LeeAsher

theory11 artist
Aug 31, 2007
Eugene, Oregon
www.leeasher.com
"Both of these camps sound great! I'm going to research them both. Does anyone know how they compare to The Noblezada Experience? Also how much do they cost, and how long do they last? Thanks."

For more information about Sorcerers Safari Summer Magic Camp:

Click the link directly below:
http://www.sorcerers-safari.com/michael_ammar_magic_camp.html

Hope that helps answer your questions.

Asher

Jul 21, 2008
Ohio
"Both of these camps sound great! I'm going to research them both. Does anyone know how they compare to The Noblezada Experience? Also how much do they cost, and how long do they last? Thanks."

Asher

Thanks For The information Mr. Asher! I think this sounds better than the Noblezada Experience. Its around the same price I think, but instead of 3 days, its a full week!

Sep 4, 2007
Okay, let me first say i know some people who like safari better and i know some who like tannens better. I have been at Tannens camp for 3 years, it is great. We had BOB SHEETS come for those of you who do not know who he is, he is probably THE BEST CLOSE UP MAGICIAN ALIVE. Josh Jay, John Cassidy, and a lot of people came. In past years we have had, Criss Angel, David Copperfield, Dan White, Blaine, and more.
Im not saying ones better than the other for i have not been to the Safari camp. But before everyone makes judgments from that stupid picture. It is a great experience. Also we have David Oliver as a counselor, that in its self is GOLD.

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
Sorcerer's Safari is literally non-stop intimate magic with some of the greatest magicians of our time... I'm not kidding, Michael Ammar is going this year, as it Joshua Jay. And of course the awesome regulars Lee, Aaron, Kranzo, and many more. Plus, the giveaways and classes are well worth the price, as are the nightly professional shows featuring the famous working pros at camp.

Sep 4, 2007
Okay, let me first say i know some people who like safari better and i know some who like tannens better. I have been at Tannens camp for 3 years, it is great. We had BOB SHEETS come for those of you who do not know who he is, he is probably THE BEST CLOSE UP MAGICIAN ALIVE. Josh Jay, John Cassidy, and a lot of people came. In past years we have had, Criss Angel, David Copperfield, Dan White, Blaine, and more.
Im not saying ones better than the other for i have not been to the Safari camp. But before everyone makes judgments from that stupid picture. It is a great experience. Also we have David Oliver as a counselor, that in its self is GOLD.

Same as what he said... DAVID OLIVER! *Claps*:D

Jul 26, 2008
NJ

Asher

Lee, I'm definitely going there next year.

I mean, you, Michael Ammar, Wayne Houchin and Aaron Fisher? It sounds great. Thanks for the link.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results