Zap by Hon Wong and Gordon Fang

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
"this stuff isnt real. Doing a pass is more impressive "

You're absolutely right. Don't bother with this stuff, it's not worth your time.

Pj

Agreed, Pj.

This stuff isn't real just as making a card come to the top of the deck isn't real. You use a technique that makes it seem real, like, for instance, a pass.

Same thing with this. It really doesn't put someone in a "trance", but it makes it seem like the person you're performing this on feel like they are in a trance.

Both aren't real.

You use cards sleights, I use mind tricks. *shrugs*

Sep 1, 2007
NO! A PASS IS REAL!!! its skillful and cool and people get impressed by it and its technique. This stuff is just fake and stupid. Might as well just knock em out with a sneaky sucker punch from behind and tell the person he was in deep sleep and he looked happy on the ground while he was passed out.

May 19, 2008
manchester
that proves you dont do magic.

"people get impressed by it and its teqnique", shouldnt the people not know the teqnique.

this is also a teqnique, that people find cool, its a differant kind of real. but its still real, you dont sell unreal for $150 or whatever it is. and you cant just punch them becuase thats not a show that people are gonna come to is it.

people ARE going to be amazed when you hipnotise people in like 2/3 seconds, there gonna be less amazed at - he cut the deck without us noticing, umm yay -

but thats just my opinion

Sep 2, 2007
London
There are loads of threads on here about hypnosis, but I thought I'd contribute my little bit of knowledge here anyway.

There is no clear definition of what "hypnosis" actually is. Anyone who claims they have a definitive explanation is only going by their own experience or what they have read somewhere. People in many different kind of mind-states could be classified as being "hypnotised". Therefore, anyone who markets a product teaching a method of hypnotising someone is really only saying that they've got a method of creating a hypnosis effect.

Basically, instant inductions create an immediate suggestible state. However, this is nothing unusual. If you walk up to someone randomly on the street, point at something and say "Look at that", the chances are that they will, even if it's just for a moment. That's because you've created a moment of confusion in which their logical mind is occupied with trying to analyse the situation, so it isn't free to question the command you've given it.

Instant inductions are essentially a controlled method of creating that confused moment in which you can supply the unconscious mind with an instruction. "Sleep", is the classic example of such an instruction. This "sleep" instruction is already anchored in most people's minds to pre-existing ideas about what is expected of the subject, so it puts them in a compliant state.

Basically, if you want to put someone in a "trance state", start a conversation with them, and in the middle of talking to them, look them right in the eyes and say "And as you look at me it's time to sleep, NOW", and snap your fingers in front of their face as you say "NOW". If they are genuinely involved in the conversation, you do it with confidence and assurance, and you can see that they're listening to you rather than looking to escape, this will work.

Having said that, I haven't seen Zap, so there may be something more to it, but I doubt it.

Anyway, hope that's useful for someone.

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
NO! A PASS IS REAL!!! its skillful and cool and people get impressed by it and its technique. This stuff is just fake and stupid. Might as well just knock em out with a sneaky sucker punch from behind and tell the person he was in deep sleep and he looked happy on the ground while he was passed out.

*sigh*

I can't believe I have to go through this again. And I'm sorry for the long post.

Okay, I've been doing hypnosis for close to 20 years, 8 of those, I've done onstage.

Do I claim hypnosis is something that is a "supernatural" and makes you do things you wouldn't normally do? Of course not. It's simply relaxation and suggestion. Something we all do everyday, mostly to ourselves.

There are psychological tricks, very real, very subtle that can make hypnosis seem more powerful than it actually is. It varies from person to person and from situtation to situtation, but they can work.

It's nothing "magic", it's nothing "supernatural", it's just a little applied psychology with a bit of misdirection and attitude on the part of the hypnotist and a whole lot of desire and surprise on the part of the participant.

If you think that "this stuff is fake and stupid" then you've never seen Derren Brown, Ormand McGill, plus countless of other stage hypnotists (me included) perform. :) You are also saying that a lot of people who go the shows are not really enjoying it, either.

Now, I'm not saying don't be a skeptic. I am a skeptic myself. I don't believe in UFO's, aliens, ghosts, talking to the dead, ESP, god, etc. I certainly know that hypnosis isn't what some people are trying to hype it to be. In fact, before each show, I tell my audience that hypnosis is just like going to the movies, and honestly, that's all it is. If someone is claiming that hypnosis will make you lose weight or grow bigger body parts or have you live past lives, that's bullpuckies. But the basic idea of a person daydreaming so deeply that they lose track of where they are, is very real. That's really what hypnosis is, only I am the guide.

Now with this technique of instant hypnosis, I'm sure it's a technique in confusion tatics, which is a powerful technique. All magicians use it only we call it "misdirection". It's also used a lot by con men and even sports players. Why? Because it works.

Now I'm sure that Peguin is overhyping it, but isn't that what all these magic sites do? If Peguin magic told you that it has a new trick that makes any card picked to appear at the top of the deck without the use of a pass, you would say "oh, it won't work, it's fake!!"? Peguin isn't selling "supernatural" stuff. They're selling tricks. Things we all can do with a little knowledge and practice. I'm sure this is one of them. This is in my field of knowledge, it's something I've been doing for years, and yes, I'm interested because it looks like it will help me better my performances. Just like you would buy a new card pass if it was offered...

I am sorry for the long reply, but it just amazing to me the egos that are out here in this forum.

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
There are loads of threads on here about hypnosis, but I thought I'd contribute my little bit of knowledge here anyway.

There is no clear definition of what "hypnosis" actually is. Anyone who claims they have a definitive explanation is only going by their own experience or what they have read somewhere. People in many different kind of mind-states could be classified as being "hypnotised". Therefore, anyone who markets a product teaching a method of hypnotising someone is really only saying that they've got a method of creating a hypnosis effect.

Basically, instant inductions create an immediate suggestible state. However, this is nothing unusual. If you walk up to someone randomly on the street, point at something and say "Look at that", the chances are that they will, even if it's just for a moment. That's because you've created a moment of confusion in which their logical mind is occupied with trying to analyse the situation, so it isn't free to question the command you've given it.

Instant inductions are essentially a controlled method of creating that confused moment in which you can supply the unconscious mind with an instruction. "Sleep", is the classic example of such an instruction. This "sleep" instruction is already anchored in most people's minds to pre-existing ideas about what is expected of the subject, so it puts them in a compliant state.

Basically, if you want to put someone in a "trance state", start a conversation with them, and in the middle of talking to them, look them right in the eyes and say "And as you look at me it's time to sleep, NOW", and snap your fingers in front of their face as you say "NOW". If they are genuinely involved in the conversation, you do it with confidence and assurance, and you can see that they're listening to you rather than looking to escape, this will work.

Having said that, I haven't seen Zap, so there may be something more to it, but I doubt it.

Anyway, hope that's useful for someone.

Very well put, TeeDee.

And you too, blahblahblah.

...love the names.... :)

Sep 2, 2007
London
Thanks very much OwnerM.

I'm continually astonished at how many misconceptions there are about hypnosis. There are enough e-books, websites and forums out there...and even real books and DVDs. It's not some underground secret that only the elite inner circle know, so why do people insist on sticking to the myths?

but i know how this is exactly done and this stuff isnt real. still say the pass is cooler. TAKE IT BACK AGAIN!!!

No one is arguing that you know or don't know how something is done.

I agree, it's all rubbish and isn't worth your $150.00. Your work on the pass is time much better spent.

Now please post elsewhere, perhaps in the card magic forum, where your thoughts on the pass are more in tune with the topic at hand. Let us kooks talk about all this stupid hypnosis bullcrap.

Pj

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
Thanks very much OwnerM.

I'm continually astonished at how many misconceptions there are about hypnosis. There are enough e-books, websites and forums out there...and even real books and DVDs. It's not some underground secret that only the elite inner circle know, so why do people insist on sticking to the myths?

The problem is that there is so much misinformation out there, and a lot of people who make it more than it actually is just to flim-flam people out of money.

This is why I would trust a magician effect selling site about selling hypnosis techniques more than a site that offers "the secret of hypnosis". :rolleyes:

May 19, 2008
manchester
um im not gonna take it back, the pass is secretly moving one half of the deck around so its on top whatever

a card magician uses this.

this tequnique (sp.) is secretly confusing someone so much that there mind gives up and they are in a trance (or something like that)

this is what hypnotist uses.

if you went and did either of these people may say the pass is cool, but people cant relate to it or anthing like that. if you showed someone this then there gonna say its awsome (or something) because everyone can understand it, everyone wants to do it.

actually that probabbly doesnt make sense but oh well

its like saying to you

the french drop is better than the pass.

I think that it is, vanishing a coin (for me) is cooler than making a card come to the top but thats my opinion, dont try and make me think differant, im not gonna.

the end

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
um im not gonna take it back, the pass is secretly moving one half of the deck around so its on top whatever

a card magician uses this.

this tequnique (sp.) is secretly confusing someone so much that there mind gives up and they are in a trance (or something like that)

this is what hypnotist uses.

if you went and did either of these people may say the pass is cool, but people cant relate to it or anthing like that. if you showed someone this then there gonna say its awsome (or something) because everyone can understand it, everyone wants to do it.

actually that probabbly doesnt make sense but oh well

its like saying to you

the french drop is better than the pass.

I think that it is, vanishing a coin (for me) is cooler than making a card come to the top but thats my opinion, dont try and make me think differant, im not gonna.

the end
ZOMG Tahts 3XP0ZURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Banned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@!!!!:p

It made brilliant sense and I couldn't have put it better myself (probably because I'm too tired but oh well), thankyou for posting this.
I recently did my English oral exam for my GCSEs. We had to argue about a controversial topic. I did it on hypnosis. I have done quite a lot of research on hypnosis, it is not bullcrap and it is definitely real. Don't believe me? Why not do what everyone else has done? Go research before posting a bunch of spam comments on a thread (this is directed at Coldsleeping before anyone gets the wrong idea).

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results