Bad News for David Blaine?

Sep 1, 2007
And it's scary that you shun the type of media bs you're buying into.

Beg your pardon?

I just don't see why this is some big deal that the news media are trying to make it out to be.

No, it's a sad evaluation of our culture when we see pompous, conceited, arrogant knowitalls that quote themselves on magic forums!!! I hate magicians!

You're spitting at the sky.

dude,

please don't associate us with steerpike... he's a little "different"

Being different from the rabble around here is something I consider a compliment. The further I can distance myself from the average magician the better.

Jul 15, 2008
Being different from the rabble around here is something I consider a compliment. The further I can distance myself from the average magician the better.

indeed
and the further we can distance ourselves from you, the better for us, right? ;)

Sep 1, 2007
indeed
and the further we can distance ourselves from you, the better for us, right? ;)

Not necessarily. Mediocrity enjoys more of the same.

Face it, if not for guys like me who rock the boat by our very natures, this place would be a lot more boring.

Sep 1, 2007
And I'm bored with you. Now shag off so the adults can talk about David Blaine.

In an attempt to violently jerk this thread back on topic and out of the clutches of the ignorant masses... actually that leads me into a neat transition.

I find my optimism was misplaced. I had hoped most people were intelligent not to make a big deal out of the botched climax at the end of the special. Sure, there are quite a few people here who were able to take the show for what it was worth. But I'm astounded by the sheer amount of ignorant boobs who are getting their panties in a knot over this. What's going on here? Why are some people reacting with such hostility to the end of the stunt?

Sep 1, 2007
Maybe because they didn't like it, and they're entitled to their opinion?

No, I don't buy that. If you don't like something, there's no need to react to it with hostility. A lot of people are calling Blaine a liar, a fraud, a con man, and all sorts of other nasty names.

And over what? A malfunction?

Some people didn't like the stunt and they said so in a dignified, eloquent manner. That's fine. But what about the other people acting like Blaine just insulted their mother? No, not every opinion should be respected because some of them are wrong or just plain stupid.

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
No, I don't buy that. If you don't like something, there's no need to react to it with hostility. A lot of people are calling Blaine a liar, a fraud, a con man, and all sorts of other nasty names.

And over what? A malfunction?

Some people didn't like the stunt and they said so in a dignified, eloquent manner. That's fine. But what about the other people acting like Blaine just insulted their mother? No, not every opinion should be respected because some of them are wrong or just plain stupid.
I don't see that over here. If I'm wrong please do tell me. But if you're talking about the general public, then what do you expect? I personally think the stunt lacked entertainment value, no doubt it's physically demanding to no end, but it just wasn't...glamorous enough to be broadcast as its own special on TV IMO. The one BIG moment that we were supposed to be watching for, was less than fulfilling for me.

Sep 1, 2007
I don't see that over here. If I'm wrong please do tell me. But if you're talking about the general public, then what do you expect?

How about this little of sunshine:

http://forums.theory11.com/showpost.php?p=140353&postcount=2

And as for the public, perhaps it was foolish optimism on my part. I just hoped that most people would understand that sometimes things go wrong and be able to take the rest of the program for what it was.

Now I see I was right all along to be a miserable, bitter cynic.

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
You know that's just some sheltered 10 year old who doesn't have any comprehension of the real world, so why complain about it? There are always going to be those kinds of people; sheltered, narrow-minded folk that have no idea that life is a 2 way street. You're setting yourself up for disappointment by being optimistic about those people. Show me some reasonable people that are going crazy over this and I'll buy into that people are being overly hostile.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, that's impossible, because reasonable people won't be getting their panties in a knot over this to begin with. :D

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
Because I find stupidity and willful ignorance offensive.

Like I said, not all opinions should be respected. People can be wrong, and they need an intellectual pimp slap.
My point is, the people who are being overly hostile, are immune to intellectual pimp slaps. Ignorance is one of the hardest diseases to cure.

Dec 20, 2007
Joplin, Mo., USA
I find my optimism was misplaced. I had hoped most people were intelligent not to make a big deal out of the botched climax at the end of the special. Sure, there are quite a few people here who were able to take the show for what it was worth. But I'm astounded by the sheer amount of ignorant boobs who are getting their panties in a knot over this. What's going on here? Why are some people reacting with such hostility to the end of the stunt?

I had a conversation with someone at my job who thinks Blaine's matchbook trick was staged. Obviously, everyone reading here knows the truth: That it's not staged, and can be done by any one of us with the proper practice.

As reluctant as I am to talk about exposers, one of them wrote something to the effect of this before viciously exposing Blaine's magic: "I'm doing this because Blaine claims to be something he is not." As I was writing on the Ellusionist blog about this, I came across a lot of vicious satire posing as journalistic commentary. Some were honest when they said, "I don't get it." Others ripped Blaine mercilessly, because they didn't understand the details about his stunt.

I think that a bunch of us are a little jaded because the rest of the world isn't as impressed with Blaine as we are. And, we're biased. Blaine is one of the reasons that many of us are here. And those of us who are bashing Blaine for the botched ending are simply not ready to understand more about magic -- especially the magicians. I wonder how many of the magicians who bash Blaine have ever had anything go wrong in front of the public. If they haven't, then they have probably seconds and seconds of performing experience.

Yet, look at how Blaine has responded. Public interviews, and an admission of a flub LESS THAN A DAY after it happened. I can't help comparing that to how another recent stunt unfolded.

Dec 5, 2007
New York City
Sorry if someone said this before I don´t have the time to read all the posts.
I was there and he did took short breaks like 4 to 5 minutes each 2 or 3 hours .

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results