Researching Magic - How do you get sources?

If you want to research magic, as in the magic industry itself, or the history, or on particular aspects, or on specific artists, how would be the best way to do so?

I understand that there must be books out there to buy, but are there other ways which are a reliable source?

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Local library will help, some, with older artists and history.

If you have the money (45 for 6 month...65 for one year and i think 200 for lifetime...which includes the future) you can invest in the Genii magazine archives. Tons of articles and interviews and such. Dates all the way back to 1936 I believe.

Also, I think Chris Kenner and Wayne Houchin would have good things to say on these topics, as both of them always seem to have in-depth history on every effect they perform or teach.

Anyway, hope that helped.

-Rik

Local library will help, some, with older artists and history.

If you have the money (45 for 6 month...65 for one year and i think 200 for lifetime...which includes the future) you can invest in the Genii magazine archives. Tons of articles and interviews and such. Dates all the way back to 1936 I believe.

Also, I think Chris Kenner and Wayne Houchin would have good things to say on these topics, as both of them always seem to have in-depth history on every effect they perform or teach.

Anyway, hope that helped.

-Rik

Thank you, I appreciate your help. I shall have to visit a few local library's near me. I will also have a look into the Genii magazine.

Sep 2, 2007
London
There is no one definite reliable source, which, to my mind, is one of the exciting things about magic history. People champion their own stories, things get hidden in the mists of time or in a dusty old book that no-one's read for years. For example, Erdnase's Two-Hand Transformation Number 1 has now been attributed to Houdini, and the one-hand weave shuffle has been demonstrated to have been invented by someone other than Howard de Courcey. Also, the extensive work of Marlo causes problems, as many of his published ideas were previously invented and published under different names.

I would suggest the best way to find the answer to any particular question would be to ask as many knowledgable magicians or magic historians as you can. Even if they don't know the answer, they may very well be able to point you in the right direction to find things out.

Subscribing to Genii is definitely a good idea though.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hello my friend.

I am obsessed by research into all aspects of my chosen path, and the reources I always find most effective are...

-Forums, such as the magic cafe and the Genii forum have a lot of 'back in the day' guys, people like Jon Townsend (the originator of the fingertips coins across effect [now collectively known as three-fly]), and David Regal, guys who can really assist with loads of stuff. Great resource.

-Bricks an mortars shops. Back issues of magazines, old magic books and a (for me at least) kick-ass staff can all help with research and digging about for info!

-Building up a good network of magical friends!

CL

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results