The Downfall of Dan and Dave's 'Queens'

Sep 8, 2007
I feel that the big mistake with that trick is when they bring them back at the end.
the whole point of the trick is that the queens vanished and when u make them appear at the end it makes it less magical and kinda says, "hey, its sleight of hand, they never vanished!"

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Ever see "The Prestige"?
"If you make something vanish, you have to bring it back."

In all seriousness, I think that it's better to make them reappear because they look cool at the end.
But if you don't want to bring them back, then don't.
Just palm them off and get on with the next trick.

Jul 14, 2008
Well, we all have different opinions on the Queens trick, personally, I like this trick except the ending. So, I just do the Collectors Editions.

Nov 17, 2007
I personally think you HAVE to bring them back. If you stop after the last vanish, you leave your audience with an empty feeling. Like, ok you made them vanish...now what?

Jul 16, 2008
vanish to pocket i like this effect because the you can do alot with it and i think that is how dan and dave want there effects to be like a swiss army knive multi purpose

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
I don't like The Queens in general, nor most of the Dan and Dave stuff. It all just seems like an exhibition of skill, nothing magical about it.

But anyways, I see no problem in making the queens reappear at the end. Of course they did not ACTUALLY vanish, that's pure silliness and only a complete buffoon would think otherwise. Vanishing something is one of the least realistic forms of magic. In my opinion, performing some form of mentalism is one of the most realistic.

Oct 28, 2007
i agree with fatalace you need to bring them back. if you don't the audience reaction is dimmed, the final production of them is what gets the applause because they know it is over.

out of personal experience when you vanish multiple things such as four queens one at a time you need to bring them back, but if you vanish all of them at once you don't need to bring them back, its just the way it works for me at least.

PTG

Jun 15, 2008
In a cave.
If you don't like it, then why don't you do something about it?:confused: I Personally don't like it either, so I came up with a way to make them vanish, then reappear in the card box that was on the table.

Quite simply, if you don't like something, find a way of changing it to your likeness. Just about everyone agrees that the bucks stuff is more of a display of skill than magic (please don't take offense D&D, it certainly doesn't stop you guys from being the coolest people on the planet :D), so if you don't just want to show off, then add a bit of magic to it.

-PTG

PTG

Jun 15, 2008
In a cave.
so your saying all the spectators are buffoons?

Well most people know what you are doing is just an illusion. When you say you can magically heat up the particles in a card and change it from black to red, you are just pulling their leg and they know that. They freak out because you somehow manage to "back up" your theory. They still don't believe you (again usually) but that doesn't stop them from freaking out about what they saw.

-PTG

Oct 28, 2007
Well most people know what you are doing is just an illusion. When you say you can magically heat up the particles in a card and change it from black to red, you are just pulling their leg and they know that. They freak out because you somehow manage to "back up" your theory. They still don't believe you (again usually) but that doesn't stop them from freaking out about what they saw.

-PTG

i think you would be suprised of what a lot of spectators think ;)

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
Dan & Dave have said from the start that their tricks are their own and they have always encouraged originality in us, the community. Create your own. I'm sure most people tweak aspects of tricks all the time, otherwise you're just recycling ideas.

Be creative, be yourself.

Feb 28, 2008
I personally think bringing them back is a better option than just having them disappear... but producing can be done in a number of ways and if you don't like D&D's way come up with your own.

I really love this trick and think it's the best trick on the entire DVD.

I don't like The Queens in general, nor most of the Dan and Dave stuff. It all just seems like an exhibition of skill, nothing magical about it.

But anyways, I see no problem in making the queens reappear at the end. Of course they did not ACTUALLY vanish, that's pure silliness and only a complete buffoon would think otherwise. Vanishing something is one of the least realistic forms of magic. In my opinion, performing some form of mentalism is one of the most realistic.

First off did you not have a video of you performing the queens?

Edit: ah yes here it is http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz8d-C43vWM
OH and heres a thread where yo say the queens is your favorite trick http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=8420

just saying

and secondly what a great attitude to have towards your spectators that their "buffoons" for believing something happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia

I kinda agree there. I don't like D&D's magic-related stuff, I think a lot of it plays much better to magicians than it does to laymen, and exists as a display of skill. Which is fine if you're flourishing, but as far as magic goes, not a fan...

That said, Queens can be magical but it does need the appearance, otherwise it bears no semblance of an ending..

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results