Performers Should Be Less Boring

Sep 1, 2007
I recommend to anyone who is interested in being an even marginally decent magician/performer, that he or she should take an acting class. Improv and confidence building are perfect catalysts for good magic performance.

There it is. A concrete answer to anyone who thinks good performance ability is unattainable. Confidence, like any other skill, can be improved.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Yes, Ben is right. BUT, i think that anyone who starts this kind of threat needs to attach a video of him performing, to back up his words...

You start a thread about how we do it wrong, but don't show us what is right. It is just like when your parents tell you that smoking is bad, and then you see them enjoy smoking... So how can you believe them?

There are numerous threads about "Go out and perform", "You do what you want, but I'm performing everyday for real people" bla bla bla... Ok then, show us...

This goes for everyone with this attitude. Steerpike, Medifro, Morgician, Praetoritevong, Dee, Romeo Sierra etc. Big amount of their posts are about performing for other people, and "I want to see more live performances"... Well, make one yourself. Because, believe it or not, every other member is looking up to YOU guys that I just mentioned... And if there were more videos of you performing, and so backing up your own words, more people on this forum will post up those videos...

On the other note. I made a thread about presentation itself, couple of days ago, because I needed help... But it never came from those guys mentioned, EXCEPT Praetoritevong, who give me pat on the back... That thread got pushed down in the mud by the threads like "What the HELL" and "Oh my god, that dude have worst web design ever, and he is designing DG's web sight also, I'm so sad... aka. Justin Millers New Web Site".
In this thread i wrote a lengthy post about every word that I say and every thing that I do in my short routine, so that someone can help me improve it. And everybody else could write the same thing, and get help and improve his performance....

But I guess that "Purple nipple juice" is more important...

Wow, I totally missed this post first time around, so sorry I haven't replied to this.

Well, for me personally, it's difficult to shoot a live performance, simply because I don't actually own a camera. You're absolutely right though, more people should be leading by example. I guess to an extent people just have to take our collective word for it - if someone is really motivated to improve their magic, just go out and do it, irrespective of others. That said, if anyone over the age of 18 is in Sydney or close by, come see me perform live upstairs at Ruby Rabbit on Oxford St Sydney Thursday week, starting at 9PM (small plug ^^). Which doesn't completely defend me from that fact that you're right, I don't post live videos. If you can though, don't let anything stop you - and regardless of whether you can film or not, do go out and perform, and do it for yourself!

Sep 1, 2007
Wow, I totally missed this post first time around, so sorry I haven't replied to this.

Well, for me personally, it's difficult to shoot a live performance, simply because I don't actually own a camera. You're absolutely right though, more people should be leading by example. I guess to an extent people just have to take our collective word for it - if someone is really motivated to improve their magic, just go out and do it, irrespective of others. That said, if anyone over the age of 18 is in Sydney or close by, come see me perform live upstairs at Ruby Rabbit on Oxford St Sydney Thursday week, starting at 9PM (small plug ^^). Which doesn't completely defend me from that fact that you're right, I don't post live videos. If you can though, don't let anything stop you - and regardless of whether you can film or not, do go out and perform, and do it for yourself!

Don't do it for yourself, at least no exclusively. Do it for the audience first and foremost.

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
Alright. An example. Even better, how about someone from these forums I can cite. Look at Michael Kras' stuff, he has a bunch of videos floating around. Also, Nexusmagic has some good pieces.

I admit that you are right. There will need to be a lot more bad performances before a really good one emerges. I think it would be beneficial if, in general, we saw more performance videos and we really focused on critiquing technique.

And you're right. It does take a while to develop a consistent way of performing. What I recommend is to get an idea and just go with it for a while because, who knows, it could be the next big thing in terms of performance.

Did I notice a little Freudian slip there with "threat?"

Yeah, you're right. Why don't I post a video of my own spectacular live performances in which I execute some suave sleight of hand while dropping one-liners and charming all the ladies?

Well, I'll make that a priority. I'm serious, I will. I'm bringing my video camera with me up to college this semester and I'll try and get something up of what works for me as a good performance. But will that help you? Maybe it will. I mean, I don't really need to prove anything to myself. I already know how I perform, but if it helps for others to see it, why not then?

Jok3r, check out this link: http://cardstarlifestyle.com/

That's Lee Asher's compilation of what he views as great performances of magic. I've learned a lot by watching those.

Remember, being a great performer isn't just about dropping one-liners and charming the ladies. It's one's mannerisms, and all the subtleties that come along with that.

But like I said earlier, just get an idea and run with it for a while. Maybe it'll lead somewhere good.

I'm tired, so this is unclear.... are you referencing me in a positive or negative fashion?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results