Cardini Vs. Ego Change

Oct 5, 2008
New York
There is a different grip on the cards, the ego change is with a slow wave of the hand and the cardini is with a fast wave. Other then that the concept is pretty much the same.

Apr 26, 2008
The Ego change is in my opinion a much more magical change (at least it gets much better reactions for me) I don't have the past midnight DVDs but i know how the stroke change works and it is completely different from the Cardini and ego change..

The Cardini and Ego change are much easier to get into and are more "burnable"...

Hope that helps ;)

Sep 6, 2007
I gotta chime in and clarify things a bit since too many people are spreading misinformation and when Dorian tried to straighten things out, he didn't go into quite enough detail.

The cardini color change looks to the audience very much like what Dorian does when he uses a snap for the change. However, the underlying technique is different. Check out The Magic of Michael Ammar pg 266 or Buckley's Card Control pg 142 (thank you Denis Behr, archive.denisbehr.de) to see the Cardini technique. The Cardini handling for the change must be done fast and it leaves the card further away from the deck so it's more angly and leaves you dirty. Consequently, it uses a snap for cover and works better in a platform situation.

What Dorian does on Avenue, I first saw published by Ray Cosby as the Coffin Change in Spectacle. In Spectacle, it's referenced as a variation on the Cardini snap change. This change in handling made it so that the clean up is easer and the card is less likely to flash. Also, the move can be done slow, with a wave, or fast with a snap like the original Cardini change.

Dorian did some research and discovered that the earliest reference anyone he knew could find to the technique used in the change is Pughe's Pass from correspondence between George Pughe and John Hilliard printed in the Kaufman version of Greater Magic pg 1053. Pughe, as far as I know, never used it as a change. However, the same action was used by Maurice Rooklin as a card palm see Dai Vernon's Ultimate Secrets of Card Magic pg 120. I've been told that the Pughe action was used as a color change by Jimmy Grippo but I'm not sure how much faith I have in the source.

The point is, the action of Pughe's Pass is being used as a color change by Dorian and by Danny Garcia and a bunch of other guys. Sometime before 1990, when the Coffin Change was published, that color change was making its way around the magic underground, maybe reinvented by Ray Kosby, maybe from Jimmy Grippo, maybe from somebody else, I don't know. I do know that Danny Garcia got very good at using the technique to do a slow, beautiful color change and chose to give it a new name, further confusing the issue.

Look up the references to verify the recorded history and draw your own conclusions.

Dave

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results