Real Magi's or Fake Magi's

Do you consider them magi's?

• Yes

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 22 78.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There are many guys/girls out there that go on sites like these and stay on the forums a lot but they don't perfrom, and when they do, they perform infront of their web cams, and other cams of them doing tricks in their bed rooms and then they post on sites like you tube and other sites so people can view them. My question is to all of you would you consider them a true and real magi. When you see true magi's they actually go out and perform they just dont buy every deck/ gimmick they see, learn them and never perform them for the public. So do you all believe that those who never perform for the public but only in their room infront of their own camera are magi's or don't you?
Please share your views.

-T.J.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
i feel you cant qualify it so simply. There are people on these forum's that haven't been doing magic for that long, you cant call them fake's just cause they haven't gone out and performed yet. The same people that complain about people not performing often are just as quick to get mad at people not practicing enough before performing. I think the most important thing is to find a balance between practice and performance and if you dont feel you have an effect mastered yet, you shouldn't perform. So i think it is all subjective but to have a future within the craft you must at some point take the step to perform, eventually thats what all the practice is about, but it shouldn't be rushed. Magic is 80% practice 20% performance in my opinion. with that said, yes a lot people on here do not perform for live people enough, webcams do not count unless your looking for help critiquing something from your peers that you intened to perfrom live later on.

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
I think the most important thing is to find a balance between practice and performance and if you dont feel you have an effect mastered yet, you shouldn't perform.

When you don't know an effect you are right you should practice, but at the same time you need to go out and perform the stuff you know. Even if you only have one effect down, you need to perform it.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
i feel you cant qualify it so simply. There are people on these forum's that haven't been doing magic for that long, you cant call them fake's just cause they haven't gone out and performed yet. The same people that complain about people not performing often are just as quick to get mad at people not practicing enough before performing. I think the most important thing is to find a balance between practice and performance and if you dont feel you have an effect mastered yet, you shouldn't perform. So i think it is all subjective but to have a future within the craft you must at some point take the step to perform, eventually thats what all the practice is about, but it shouldn't be rushed. Magic is 80% practice 20% performance in my opinion. with that said, yes a lot people on here do not perform for live people enough, webcams do not count unless your looking for help critiquing something from your peers that you intened to perfrom live later on.

He's talking about the people that 'perform' strictly on the web.Not that show what they are practicing(why you would show what you are practicing on the internet eludes me)
20% performance? How can you say that? Technical prowess doesnt impress spectators. Yes,practice moves but acting skill is even more important.

What about magicians like Marco tempest?
Or magicians who only show performance on webcams?
Am I really the only one who thinks the people who perform on webcams are magicians as well?
Has anyone not performed on a webcam or a mirror depending on your age, ever in your life?
A starting magician may use a webcam to get help that they might not have access to. is this a truthful statement?

did anyone notice that I spelled WHOHA?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 11, 2008
Webcam performances..

Most of us can spot an amateaur as soon as we see there peformace on a video clip. So we can tell the differene between those who have practiced and those have just learned an effect and immediately try to perform it. Its extremely easy to keep filming yourself until you get the trick just right, and good enough to make it look like your skillful, when in fact it was the 20th time you hit the record button on a camera. In my opinion to help distance yourself from these fakes, is to show your performances among live spectators. Show how comfortable you actually are wih your skill, and how much youve practiced to the point where you can perform an effect without even thinking about it. When your hands think before you do...its a beautiful achievment....

Jan 10, 2009
new jersey
Webcam Magic should die...unless its purely a performance not just showing a trick. Yes this is "show" buisness, entertainment( a puzzling one) but it is entertainment. How can you just do a trick and be a magician unless you are artful. Through the art(geniune theatrics) we connect. You can communicate through technology, but you can't connect without the art. An expression of your natural self.

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
I swear! If you guys can't see the black and white of this! If you are physically and mentally stable to make a decision, in this case to do magic, you are not a magician if you don't get your ass out there and perform! That's it! No Grey areas in this unless you find a stupid way to invent one!

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
But what is a performance, what are the rules between webcam magic and performing an entertaining piece of magic? the viewers being the audience.

Besides actually having character and not just a pair of hands fiddling around with a deck of cards?
There is no acting or actual performance in a webcam video.Usually we get a slipknot song played to a generic sandwich effect.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
He's talking about the people that 'perform' strictly on the web.Not that show what they are practicing(why you would show what you are practicing on the internet eludes me)
20% performance? How can you say that? Technical prowess doesnt impress spectators. Yes,practice moves but acting skill is even more important.
why wouldn't you show what your practicing on the internet? you have a chance to have other magician's critique you. this can only help your performance. as for 20%. i stand by that, think about all the hours you have spent practicing, that will always out weigh how much you actually perform. And i was talking time not importance. As for acting, i think it can be helpful but acting is MOST important. Presentation is important, connection is important, rhetoric, character and charisma, why act if you can live it. But we must never forget that what got us there is practice. And to Z-magic. i agree performing is the end all be all in importance. it is a must and should be our goal and its what i love more than anything.

Besides actually having character and not just a pair of hands fiddling around with a deck of cards?
There is no acting or actual performance in a webcam video.Usually we get a slipknot song played to a generic sandwich effect.

ive seen plenty of decent performances for a camera only, and i dont think they are always bad. Yes we should perfrom for live people but having a video of a performance is not a bad thing. Especially when it comes time for a job. If you want an examply of a webcam trick that is impressive go check out Scott Baird's youtube channel. Im not saying its what we should do exclusively, im just saying its nto the worst thing and its not hurting anything as long as you found a balance. Perform for people live, make a video for advertising, for other magician's or for yourself to critique. Do everything, practice, perform make vids, do whatever you want but vary it up. and hey, dont knock those videos' with musci. when done right they can look like allan hagen's video. knock the quality not the method

Okay we are talking about joe shmo crotch shot dude performing his ACR routine.
I am not defending anything I am just pointing out stuff, so don't get that impression.

Some people that I know just put videos up there because they want to share with people. But it would seem people are making assumptions that most of these guys don't go out and perform. I know it is kind of hard for me to film a live performance because I have no friends.

So I guess what I am saying is that, the youtube magician debate is as pointless as the youtube exposure debate. Let the people do what ever they want to do. If you try to help them and they choose not to listen to you, it is there loss. It is a perfect example of Laissez-faire. It is just one less person to compete with to accomplish your ultimate goal.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results