Does the Hindu force really work?

May 4, 2009
On art of Magic Wayne Houchin does the Hindu Force for Carbon Paper. To me that force just does not look like it would work. When Wayne did I immediately knew what he was doing. Now I understand that the average spectator wouldn't be looking at it the same way I was.

I noticed that in the teaser for Window, David Stone is using that force. Now that is a $70 single effect. So maybe I'm wrong.

What are your experiences with the hindu force?

I'm also working on some other forces as an alternative forces that could be used with Carbon Paper. I'm also considering just using the top card with a double lift. I would start by asking the spectator to touch the top card (faced down) and see if they feel anything unusual about the card. This way they think the saw the back of the card before hand.

Jun 22, 2009
IT WORKS.

Never do the same force techinque twice. But this looks like you are selecting a random card and they do not notice it.

Trust me its a GREAT force.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
It works really well.

I love it! Seriously.

This is probably my prefered way to force a card (I use it most of the time), as it seems pretty fair in appearance to the spectator.

V.

Jun 22, 2009
Do you mind explaining why? And yes, it is a very effective force.

For the simple fact of people catching onto your routine and figuring out that you are doing the same "say stop and pick a "random" card." Its just best to do different ones for each trick, but doesn't mean after a few card tricks that you cant do it again.

Probably could have included this in my first post.

May 3, 2008
I've never bothered to use the force because I noticed that it is how a lot of people shuffle the cards when I tell them to give it a mix, and are very aware that the bottom card remains the same throughout. I've never used it though, so I might try it out.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Well thats wierd because I use the exact same force and card control for a number of people that I ALWAYS perform for because im close friends with them and ive never gotten 'caught' or have my audience tell me that they know the card is being forced. Trust me,they would tell me.
So I wonder what make some people here say that..hmm..

May 3, 2008
It really does work. It's surprisingly deceiving.

This WAS my favorite way to force a card from the bottom until I downloaded Symphony and learned the way DG teaches on that which is pretty sweet.

On a side note, I downloaded Symphony and I LOVE it. Jacob's Ladder has got to be my new favorite rubber band trick.

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
Well thats wierd because I use the exact same force and card control for a number of people that I ALWAYS perform for because im close friends with them and ive never gotten 'caught' or have my audience tell me that they know the card is being forced. Trust me,they would tell me.
So I wonder what make some people here say that..hmm..

Thank you. I'm glad that there are still some people on here who know what they're talking about.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Never do the same force techinque twice.

Actually, doing a different force every time could get suspicious. If they think it's free the first time when you Hindu force, and then you Riffle force...why the change?

You have to justify doing it differently. (there are ways to do this, I won't mention them).

and doing a force casually will never arouse suspicion. :)

For the topic starter, I also love this force. Simple glimpse, force, and you have many different tricks at your disposal.

-Rik

May 4, 2009
It really does work. It's surprisingly deceiving.

This WAS my favorite way to force a card from the bottom until I downloaded Symphony and learned the way DG teaches on that which is pretty sweet.

On a side note, I downloaded Symphony and I LOVE it. Jacob's Ladder has got to be my new favorite rubber band trick.

Thanks for the info. I love Wayne Houchin's Art of Magic. It's my favorite magic DVD.

I had kinda of a list of different DVDs in the back of my head that I was considering for my next purchase, but after watching the Symphony trailer, it just moved to 1st place!

am i the only person that thinks the hindu method for anything but shuffling is just... lame? i mean there are wayy better forces out that have NO chance of being caught (B.D.E. force, classic, riffle), and noone suspects anything! Even using the swing cut method of the hindu force is better than the hindu force. Layman see overhand shuffling and riffing before, but chances are they havent seen the hindu shuffle as a shuffle, and if they have, the version theyve seen is most likely dubbed the asian shuffle and is notably different than the hindu. Just saying.

May 3, 2008
I'm not saying that it doesn't work, but I never found it to be deceptive, but I could definitely be wrong. How do you guys present this force, for lack of a better word? Do you say "This is your card" and just show it to them, or give it a time lapse before you show the force card? I think the latter might be more deceptive.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
am i the only person that thinks the hindu method for anything but shuffling is just... lame? i mean there are wayy better forces out that have NO chance of being caught (B.D.E. force, classic, riffle), and noone suspects anything! Even using the swing cut method of the hindu force is better than the hindu force. Layman see overhand shuffling and riffing before, but chances are they havent seen the hindu shuffle as a shuffle, and if they have, the version theyve seen is most likely dubbed the asian shuffle and is notably different than the hindu. Just saying.

Wait..what?
The bit I did get I will retort to.
There is no chance of getting caught at Classic? um maybe but what if your timing is off on the force?what if they dont want to pick that card? lot of stuff can go wrong with that.
Honestly alot of people after staying so long on forums or talking to just magicians for a long time start to really really overthink everything in sleights.
It looks like a legit shuffle because it is and as a force,it works everytime.

Alot of people here like name dropping and when they do its taken as " well if HE said/does that then it must be right"
So I can tell you that Justin Kredible,a working professional,using this force constantly and has never been called on it or anything.
Its great,its a force.Whether you use it or not,doesnt mean it doesnt work.

May 4, 2009

Well I think the solution is to be competent in several, so you can change it up. Especially when you are forcing a gimmicked card, because there are some forces that won't work for that.

My favorite force so far is the one Brad Christian teaches on Inside Magic. I don't know what it is called.

But basically you have a break with the card above the tip of your pinky. You try to get them to pick as close to the force card as possible, as long as you don't go past it.

What is so beautiful about this is it's easy to get the person to pick within 3 or 4 cards of the forced card. Then the move is super easy and super fair looking. Also, it's seems like the perfect way to train yourself to do a true force, where eventual you would be able to get the person to pick the force card. This is the force that Criss Angel uses on his television show. I'm sure that in real life it doesn't work for Criss 100% of the time and he has to do a back up trick. You can see on one episode a guy reaches for a card real fast and starts to grab the wrong one and Criss Angel pretty much forcibly sticks the forced card into his hand. But most of the takes they show on the air it looks extremely smooth and fair.

Jul 13, 2008
There was a slight variation for this force taught in distortion that I love very very much. If you own this trick, check it out! It's taught during the explanation of the Visually Yours variation, titled Visual Distortion. Great routine, but check the force out!

Sep 1, 2007
On art of Magic Wayne Houchin does the Hindu Force for Carbon Paper. To me that force just does not look like it would work. When Wayne did I immediately knew what he was doing. Now I understand that the average spectator wouldn't be looking at it the same way I was.

I saw Paul Gertner fool a crowd of 30-some-odd with the Hindu Force and a jumbo deck.

For the simple fact of people catching onto your routine and figuring out that you are doing the same "say stop and pick a "random" card." Its just best to do different ones for each trick, but doesn't mean after a few card tricks that you cant do it again.

I saw a guy named Norman Ng fool a room full of college students with the Riffle Force. About a half-dozen times. In a row.

Do you say "This is your card" and just show it to them, or give it a time lapse before you show the force card?

I have to talk to present this? When did that happen?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results