Swami or Boon? Whats the difference?

Hi Guys,

There are a few effects that I've seen and would love to do, but they need a swami or boon gimmick.

Are these basically the same gimmick, or are they different?

I was planning to get the super sharpie, which I thought was a swami, but when I read the description it said that the gimmick is part of the pen, and is a boon, but what is it and is it worth getting an expensive boon gimmick instead of getting a swami?

Thanks,

Simon_Magic

Apr 1, 2009
California
This is why it's hard for me to post threads... There tend to be more mentalists on here than I thought, because every day I have a question or an idea, within 24 hours I usually see it pop up by someone else. I was just about to ask a very similar question. So I'm curious to see the responses here.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
They're really not that much money besides maybe 10-15 bucks and there are like two different kinds.

I'd explain what they are, but it would be exposure. You'd have to look them up yourself. But there is a lot you can do and I have heard good things about the Lincoln Best Boon.

Sorry AsherF, I just had to ask!

I don't want to buy spend money on something when if i had spent just that extra £10 I would have got a better version of the gimmick that is more discreet.

If anyone can tell me more but doesn't want to expose, can you PM me?

Thanks,

Simon_Magic

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Simon, I'm about to PM you. But for the record - read 13 Steps to Mentalism. The first step teaches you everything you need to know about swami gimmicks, how to use them, and when, including what the differences are. It's almost a sin to be performing swami work without first reading Corinda.

Mar 25, 2008
Arkansas
Hey guys.

Swami/Boon/T***b Writers are a totally a personal preference. Mentalists bicker back and forth about them all the time.

For example, it sounds like Sherlock thinks Super Sharpie is a dream, and I can't stand the thing. Sherlock's not wrong. It just fits him, and doesn't fit me.

I know guys who swear by the Lincoln Best Boon. I know guys who swear by Osterlind's swami. There are guys who hate the Vernet writer, but I swear by it. Lots of guys (myself included) use writers that we developed and constructed on our own.

The bad news: the only way you're going to know which you like best is to try each one. Sorry. It just depends too much on personal variables like: your thumb length, how you keep your nails trimmed, how strong your hands are, what medium you write best with, how sweaty your hands get, etc.

I would try:
A cheap Swami gimmick (if you like the cheap one, you can upgrade to a better constructed one later. If it's painful and awkward, you'll know quickly.)

A GOOD boon gimmick (to me the cheaper ones are just frustrating and not worth the try)

A Vernet writer (you'll love it or hate it)

Hope this helps!

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
Hey guys.

Swami/Boon/T***b Writers are a totally a personal preference. Mentalists bicker back and forth about them all the time.

For example, it sounds like Sherlock thinks Super Sharpie is a dream, and I can't stand the thing. Sherlock's not wrong. It just fits him, and doesn't fit me.

I know guys who swear by the Lincoln Best Boon. I know guys who swear by Osterlind's swami. There are guys who hate the Vernet writer, but I swear by it. Lots of guys (myself included) use writers that we developed and constructed on our own.

The bad news: the only way you're going to know which you like best is to try each one. Sorry. It just depends too much on personal variables like: your thumb length, how you keep your nails trimmed, how strong your hands are, what medium you write best with, how sweaty your hands get, etc.

I would try:
A cheap Swami gimmick (if you like the cheap one, you can upgrade to a better constructed one later. If it's painful and awkward, you'll know quickly.)

A GOOD boon gimmick (to me the cheaper ones are just frustrating and not worth the try)

A Vernet writer (you'll love it or hate it)

Hope this helps!

I think chase makes a very good point. Having read 13 steps I personally find that using a swami for me is extremely annoying and difficult due the shape, length and strength of my hands and nail. Although I do have friends who works well with swami. I think the next step for me is to try a boon.

It's all up to personal preference in the end.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I'd explain what they are, but it would be exposure. .

We already see what the gimmick is by looking at it.
Its already exposed. A gimmick isnt a method to expose.
By your rational speaking of thumb tips and what they do is exposure. Which of course,its not.
Telling them what it does,isnt the same as how to make it.

May 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
Andy Nyman likes the Lincoln's Best Boon gimmick. I also prefer the Boon style gimmick, so easy to use. I would try this one first. I think the cheap ones are junk.

I used a swami gimmick at first from E and was loving the tricks with it but every so often someone would mention pencil instead of pen or sharpie. I got the super sharpie after witnessing some incredible feats and it just seemed perfect and I was not disappointed at all. I used my previous sticky stuff from my swami gimmick that was blue with the sharpie. I then realized a few months later that it came with its own black sticky stuff that made everything a hundred times easier.

I will give you advice on the subject matter of Corinda, you will be flooded with a lot of information and you need to take time on each subject that you believe will be most related to what you want to do. I remember trying to read each subject at a time and being overwhelmed and then just taking time to read muscle reading and swami gimmicks and improved my skill greatly.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
A word firstly on the Lincoln's Best Boon - much lauded, and, for the established professional, probably the best of its kind.

And a word on Corinda: I often close walk around routines with the first effect in the book. Don't neglect the basics.

Sep 23, 2008
Selma, NC
In my opinion Swamis are a lot better than boons, because Swami gimmicks will stay on your thumb nail a lot longer than a boon. I love the swami gimmick. I have had a boon but I didn't really like it at all. There's my 2 cents. Peace.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results