MAGIC☆CON :: 2nd Podcast + Registration Details - 09/29/09

Nov 23, 2007
NC
And please understand i do not want anyone bashing lovick. That is not what this was about.
Let be honest, thats where it was heading but I agree. We definately need to save bashing him for a different thread:eek:
And I know almost everyone who will be presenting on a personal level so I know it will be stellar.
JM
Yes. It seems it will be groundbreaking.

D

Deleted member 2755

Well now that this is all out of the way, let's try to keep things on topic. ;)

-Doug

Not the First

Hey, guys, D. Taylor here.

Now, while this conference seems great, I'd like to remind you guys who seem to have a bit of a misconception. This is not the first time an intellectual magic conference of this sort has been held.

In fact just this past April I attended The Theory and Art of Magic Conference, hosted by Dr. Larry Hass at Muhlenberg College in Pennsylvania. Now, this may have been on a smaller scale, but it was a serious academic look at various aspects of magic. In attendance were Eugene Burger, Marc Desouza, Paul Draper (2 of whom presented) and an abundance of magicians from across the country and the globe.

And several other similar conferences have occurred in the past at Muhlenberg due to Dr. Hass's revolutionary magic curriculum at Muhlenberg.

The next conference will be held in Texas, at Dr. Hass and his wife's (who I believe is also a Dr. Hass) new college.

dananddave

theory11 artist
Sep 1, 2007
Hollywood
www.dananddave.com
I received an email from John Lovick requesting we post the following:

John Lovick said:
I was making the point that unless you’ve been studying a complex discipline for at least 10 years, you are probably not qualified to teach it. And it is my opinion that when one releases an instructional DVD, one is adopting the guise of teacher. Many people who have been doing magic for only a few years are releasing DVDs, and therefore presenting themselves as teachers, which I believe is unwise.

Eric Mead then made the point (I’m paraphrasing) that magic is a meritocracy and that if you can prove your ability, you can earn a place at the table. I agreed with that point. However, what I didn’t clarify is that proving ability and earning a place at the table is not the same as being qualified to teach.

Do young people in magic have something to offer? Could I learn something from them? Of course. That’s why I befriended Dan and Dave when they were still teenagers. And that’s why I’m involved with the Junior Program at the Magic Castle.

Look at the worlds of ballet, classical music, and painting, for example. There have been many very young prodigies in all of these fields. But when their talent is first recognized and they achieve their first accomplishments, what they don’t do is turn around and take on students. Do they have something to offer? Of course. Could others learn from them? Certainly. But to teach one should first be a master. And what most prodigies recognize is: no matter how talented, they are not yet masters.

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Hey, guys, D. Taylor here.

Now, while this conference seems great, I'd like to remind you guys who seem to have a bit of a misconception. This is not the first time an intellectual magic conference of this sort has been held.

In fact just this past April I attended The Theory and Art of Magic Conference, hosted by Dr. Larry Hass at Muhlenberg College in Pennsylvania. Now, this may have been on a smaller scale, but it was a serious academic look at various aspects of magic. In attendance were Eugene Burger, Marc Desouza, Paul Draper (2 of whom presented) and an abundance of magicians from across the country and the globe.

And several other similar conferences have occurred in the past at Muhlenberg due to Dr. Hass's revolutionary magic curriculum at Muhlenberg.

The next conference will be held in Texas, at Dr. Hass and his wife's (who I believe is also a Dr. Hass) new college.
Dave addresses this in a recent post over in the Genii forum. In case you're interested - 12 posts down, from the top: http://bit.ly/42BB0D

Dec 14, 2007
Oh yea I forgot I also tried to git into the magic castle when lovick was the hiring person for talent (thank god he lost that job look at the horrible acts he placed in that yr). Lovick actually responded to my e-mails and said i would not be a good fit for the close-up room...I will be talking about that n the lovick review as well way to much to go into here, but the point is that he lied to every single one of you in that review. And that is the person we want teaching a magic conference. Really?

Well, if you actually want to deal with facts, Lovick was NOT fired from his position. He held an interim position which the Castle EXTENDED for many months beyond his original contract.

And that year wasn't a bad year at all - in spite of the fact that you didn't "git" into the Castle.

John Lovick, unlike many magicians who have a litany of DVD's under their names, is a tremendous performer for real world audiences, has extensive experience in theater, and is an incredibly meticulous and thoughtful person. For example, he knows whose tricks he's performing and wouldn't try to pass off minor variations as his own. More importantly, he creates magic that people have a chance to care about.

Further, Lovick has the ability to recognize when a trick is an improvement, or a minor complication designed to pad a lecture. I have hired him on several occasions. He is a consummate professional and can present engaging, entertaining, and deceptive magic to intelligent, professional adults. He is a friend and respected colleague of the names you praise on the Magic-con roster - so you might want to consider what they know that you don't.

Brad Henderson

p.s. I remember a magic cafe thread where someone lamented young people lecturing and putting out dvds - and it WASN'T John Lovick. Who would that have been?????

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 4, 2008
www.wtfnolimits.com
Well, if you actually want to deal with facts, Lovick was NOT fired from his position. He held an interim position which the Castle EXTENDED for many months beyond his original contract.

And that year wasn't a bad year at all - in spite of the fact that you didn't "git" into the Castle.

John Lovick, unlike many magicians who have a litany of DVD's under their names, is a tremendous performer for real world audiences, has extensive experience in theater, and is an incredibly meticulous and thoughtful person. For example, he knows whose tricks he's performing and wouldn't try to pass off minor variations as his own. More importantly, he creates magic that people have a chance to care about.

Further, Lovick has the ability to recognize when a trick is an improvement, or a minor complication designed to pad a lecture. I have hired him on several occasions. He is a consummate professional and can present engaging, entertaining, and deceptive magic to intelligent, professional adults. He is a friend and respected colleague of the names you praise on the Magic-con roster - so you might want to consider what they know that you don't.

Brad Henderson

p.s. I remember a magic cafe thread where someone lamented young people lecturing and putting out dvds - and it WASN'T John Lovick. Who would that have been?????

Aww brad henderson, truth teller, your SOO cute. I jist want to put you in a bottle an carry you in my pocket. And yes grammar boy I said git. God I cant wait to meet you again, I promise it will not be like last time.

And the thread your referring to hend, was about a young man WHO CAME TO A FEW OF US PROS ( and yes brad I do create magic in real world situations, for pro. adults, that people care deeply about, have you ever seen me actually perform for REAL people no ya havn't) and asked us our opinion on what he should do, he rejected our advice and suffered the consequences, unfortunately.

So speak on what you know oh truth teller and keep your ego locked on what you do not know.
I'm glad lovick is your friend I assumed he would be. And I never said he got fired I said he lost the job how he lost it is not important jist that he did (yea I said jist).

I also have an extensive history in theater, philosophy, religion, and my dad is better than yours and lovicks combined also I am meticulous and thoughtful.

Pass off Minor variations as his own.. in case those of you who do not know what mr clean is talking about, I was accused of stealing a move from Homer liwag in Silver Dream ( which those of you who have SD know that is not the case and Homer gits full credit in that DVD). I like that he spends his time thinking on how to cryptically say things to me in a thread..aww your thinking bout me..your SOOO cute. I don't spend even half the time thinking bout you as you do about me. I feel bad now.

But wait oh TRUTH teller (god what a great name for you its like it was prophetically given to you) your forgetting one minor detail and the facts prove this. JOHN LOVICK IS A BOLD FACE LIAR and he has a BIAS when reviewing certain creators effects. Plain and simple. He lied to everyone in that review of captured and that is a fact. So by those actions alone he should not be allowed to have a job as a magic reviewer. So there is nothing that man can teach me..others without question,lovick not in a million years. Oh and I saw lovick perform a wonderful piece of magic at magic-fest...wait that wasn't his sorry wrong guy.

A change is a comin hendy, I pray your in the path when it happens.
JM

Your turn

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Guys,

It's understandable that both sides would want to defend their position, and while we do encourage civil, spirited discussion, let's try to stay on topic here. Remember that all discourse must remain respectful and professional.

Thanks in advance, guys! Just trying to keep the original discussion goin'.

Dec 14, 2007
A change is a comin hendy, I pray your in the path when it happens.
JM

Your turn

Wow. Now I know 'what would justin do'. Revenge becomes you.

Brad

Ps. And honestly, I wasn't writing about you, but hey - if you saw yourself in what I wrote, I cannot be held to blame. Though you did just remind me of that great Roy Benson move.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 4, 2008
www.wtfnolimits.com
Wow. Now I know 'what would justin do'. Revenge becomes you.

Brad

Ps. And honestly, I wasn't writing about you, but hey - if you saw yourself in what I wrote, I cannot be held to blame. Though you did just remind me of that great Roy Benson move.

Because I respect t11 and its goals and mission I will not respond anymore publicly to you. I sent you a pm.

JM

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results