Please help! A wannabe keeps revealing everything!

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
You are saying he should stop doing magic just because one immature heckler?! What the hell!
I seriously hope you just mean performing magic at school, but that "at all" makes me think otherwise.

-

Hey man, you shouldn't even let him bother you. Stopping performing at your school is NOT the answer! If everybody stopped what they were doing, every single time something got in their way, we would probably all be cavemen..

If you want to perform at your school, then by ALL MEANS DO IT!
Don't let him ruin it for you. I hope you wont let him get in your way.

1. Yeah, they do mean at school.

2. We are cavemen. Read a newspaper.

3. Agreed.

I hope I don't have to make another long post...do I?

Sigh.

Ian

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
I'm split on using heckler lines... One the one hand, a good quip is usually enouh to shut someone up, but on the other hand it also brings them into the conversation and almost gives them permission to press the situation with a retort of their own. I'd be careful about using it. This doesn't seem like the guy that it would work on.

But, if you must I'll give you my heckler line. "You know, I've read the script to this act before, and you don't have a speaking part."

It's curt, yet also sends them a polite (as much as it can be) message to shut up.

I went to a marketing expo like 3 days ago, and there was this discussion between the competition between Coca Cola and Pepsi.

Cocacola is number 1 in bussines right now, with Pepsi going 2, there was some problems with marketing and commercials last year in my country between these two companies.

What happened? Pepsi made Coca Cola angry with some of their commercials (it wasn't direct) and what happened?

Coca cola striked back. And marketing wise it was the worst move they could have done.

Why?

Because once you reply to the offender you are bringing that person to your level. What happened with Coca Cola? they brought Pepsi to their level and what did Pepsi do? they didn't replied, they already got the spotlight and the attention they wanted.

I'm not talking about ignoring the heckler, you have to be aknowlable of him and his actions. But once you respond directly to his actions, you are bringing him to your level. You are doing what he wants since the beggining, being at you level.

Nov 7, 2009
I'm split on using heckler lines... One the one hand, a good quip is usually enouh to shut someone up, but on the other hand it also brings them into the conversation and almost gives them permission to press the situation with a retort of their own. I'd be careful about using it. This doesn't seem like the guy that it would work on.

But, if you must I'll give you my heckler line. "You know, I've read the script to this act before, and you don't have a speaking part."

It's curt, yet also sends them a polite (as much as it can be) message to shut up.

Ok ive took everyones advice and decided to keep performing at school but use this line when he comes... Thankyou so much everyone for heling me deal with this. In return I will share some lines. If you have already seen these sorry but im sharing what I use.

If someone says how did you do that say : 'Very well thankyou' or 'can you keep a secret? When they say yes say so can I'

Thanks loads for the great advice everyone. It really helped lots!!! :D

Oh and if anyone has any other great lines to use aginst hecklers please post them... Thanks!

Oct 30, 2007
Slovenia,Ljubljana
alright. well stop doing magic. its that easy.
if you dont do magic, he wont bug you. there easy as that. i know u like showing off and trying to get girls (there was just a topic on that, which wont work very well and its easyer just to talk to the girl) but its not worth it in school. just keep it incognito, then people will ask and you can say that kid is bein a dick and then they'll take care of him for you.
if your soo worried about it, then stop doing magic for a few months. just practice at home. and when you start doing magic again, people will be all impressed and what not. so yea.

best solution! it worked for me

Mar 12, 2009
1. Yeah, they do mean at school.

How can you speak on everyones behalf?
I wasn't talking about multiple persons. I was talking about Cedric. If you didn't get that I won't bother talking to you.

2. We are cavemen. Read a newspaper.

What are you talking about?
We are not cavemen.
I hope you knew what I meant - I am almost certain - so, why would you start discussing a whole other thing?
Just to be a smart-ass?
To be all cool and stuff; "hey maaan, you know eh', we are actually cavemen roflol"

I hope I don't have to make another long post...do I?

Why do you hope that?
Do you think you are the right one, just because you said that you don't want to make another post?
- Also, 'long' post? Wow, I guess I have a HUUUUGE penis if your post was long.. Lol, sorry, couldn't resist.

Why do you have to include that sigh?
Is it for others to get the idea that oh, you are just the 'master', and you are tired of pointing out the obvious to us dummies?

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
I'm just trying to provide a good solution to the original poster's problem.

The jokes you made were immature.

If I get bashed for taking a higher road, so be it.

And I'm not trying to be "the master" or "the right one" or "cool" - I'm just trying to find a sensible answer.

Ian

Mar 12, 2009
I'm just trying to provide a good solution to the original poster's problem.

Yes, indeed, your 'long post' was a true problem solver.

The jokes you made were immature.

Who said it was jokes?
Okay, the one about killing him was just for fun. To exaggerate. To really get the point across that he should NOT let this heckler push around with him.

Actually, I think he should give him a little smack. Sorry to sound so brutal but, if someone does something to you that you do not want him to, and you tell him to stop, and he doesn't - well, I think that person deserves a little smack.
Revenge should always be double.
If someone steps on your feet, you should step him twice on his feet.

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
Actually, I think he should give him a little smack. Sorry to sound so brutal but, if someone does something to you that you do not want him to, and you tell him to stop, and he doesn't - well, I think that person deserves a little smack.
Revenge should always be double.
If someone steps on your feet, you should step him twice on his feet.

What does that solve you just sink to their level.

Mar 2, 2008
Ive said this before.

Get the crowed on your side. Be the nicest and laid back person to get people to like you so when they ask you to do a trick (some times it happendes every fricken second) that heckler will be out numbered. Everyone will want him to shut up and watch.

This does work, for me atlest.

Mar 12, 2009
What does that solve you just sink to their level.

Dude what?

If someone pushes you so you fall on your face and breaks your nose, and you get up and say "yo, please don't do that man" followed by a little slap, is that really sinking to their level?! No it is not. You have a reason to act as you do. The guy deserves it. People should respect each other. If he has to get a slap in order to realise that, fair enough.

But okay, I think we have taken this whole slapping-deal too far. I was not THAT serious when I wrote it. But still, I know I would have done at least SOMETHING to some punk ruining things for me. Who wouldn't?

Mar 12, 2009
Pacifism is the best road.

Sorry, I don't know what pacifism means, english is not my native language, but I'm sure you are right. Everything that I (and everyone else for that matter) say should be taken with a grant of salt. It's important not to take things too serious. Read between the lines. Draw your own cunclusions, make up your own mind.

Rasmus, if you disagree that much with my views, that's fine, but I'll stand by my opinion.

I don't disagree with your views at all! I just think your "1. 2. 3. sigh-thread" was a little weird, that's all.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Pacifism is the opposing of violence.

And perhaps it was weird, but I will go to great lengths to back up what I believe in.

And seeing as the individual who wrote the post originally has found his/her solution, I suggest we stop posting. Or at least stop irrelevant stuff. Truce?

Ian

May 3, 2008
Poison apples...surprisingly effective.

But seriously, perform magic, if he gets annoying, stop. Tell him that if he talks one more time, or tries anything funny, you won't perform anymore. If he still does it, tell him you'll stop if he doesn't leave. This works really well. If it comes to that, and you stop performing, the audience will know it was his fault and they'll of course get mad at him.

Sep 1, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Tell him if he doesn't like what you do he doesn't have to watch you and it's not like he's paying so why ruin it for everybodyelse who's enjoying it. If he still bugs you show him the dissapearing pencil trick.

Really guys what kind fo advice is this. What if somebody actually does this because they take yall ignorant advice. We need to be civil here guys. The first advice was good,but the others are stupid. You should tell him to do a trick while performing for a group of people. He will chock up and look so stupid. But don't take anyway of the advice that involves phsical abuse.

lack of humor.....and art......

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Instead of spending $60 bucks on your next magic trick, instead invest it on a DVD or Book about Hecklers, or Audience Managment. It sounds like you need it.

Here's the facts. There are always going to be jerks out there that will try to get your best. If you acknoweldge them, then you give them power, and exactly what they want; Attention. Don't play their game by their rules, you can't win.

Instead learn what an abort is, and use it. Just shut down performing anytime he shows up, even if it's mid trick. Refuse to continue until he goes away. Your audience will police themselvs, and may even get rid of him for you. It's your act, your rules.

In the meantime, as I pointed out above, invest in learning to deal with hecklers. This guy won't be your last one.

Brilliant advice. Looks at performing in the long run. Rather than continually trying to engage in the short run.

I also have a hard time believing that he can ruin every single one of your tricks. No offense intended here, but it might be time to practice some more so he can't figure anything out. And if it's a problem for him to shuffle the deck, learn to get around it.

Also, unless you're telling him the name of the trick, how on earth is he finding out how to do these tricks anyway? I could certainly perform my ACAAN to you, but good luck trying to torrent how it's done. Ok, if I perform Touching on Hoy and told you the name of the trick, fair enough it's probably, unfortunately, within the downloadable realm, but if I don't, then good luck searching "magic trick read minds divine shape name and date mentalism". It's also a good opportunity to diversify your repertoire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results