Favorite walk around mentalism effect...

Nov 9, 2009
What's your favorite street magic mentalism effect you would recommend that gets the greatest reactions?

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
You have just opened Pandora's Box.

Some classics are still the best PW NW and some impromptu methods like Phill Smith 'Left Brain/Right Brain'.

Which hand games are always good, especially coupled with things like Prevericator or Kurosuke.

Anyway you really need to ask a more detailed question especially when referring to mentalism.

Sep 6, 2009
Cincinnati
Kioku is a favorite of mine. I perform that a lot, I also often put together a few Psycological Forces form Banachek's book for a good impromtu routine, needing just a pen and a notepad. It's pretty awesome.

Nov 9, 2009
Maybe ESPerfect or perhaps any type of impression device possibly. As D ICE R said though, be more specific about it though and don't say street magic mentalism. That just sounds dirty and just a bad name for mentalism.

Sorry I didn't mean to make it sound dirty or give it a bad name. Maybe I should've said favorite mentalism effect that gets great reactions in restaurants [table hopping] or for close up street magic environments

Well as Morgician once told me, "I could walk into a restaurant and take a poop on the table and get reactions."

I believe it would be better to say astonish, of course it's up to you.

A few good walkaround effects would be:

Killer Elite Zone Pro
ESPerfect
Billet work
Stigmata
Intuitive AI

Looch's material has a ton of stuff that's great for walkaround. Easy, simple, direct which is exactly what mentalism should be.

Jan 10, 2008
Straight out of Corinda, A Swami Gimmick and a business card. Take out the card ask them to think of a number between 1 and 1000. "Oh you thought of 649, is there any reason you thought of that number. I wrote something on the back of this business before I asked you to think of that number..."
Freaking killer stuff cause not only do they have no where to go as far as how this sort of thing could be done, but now they have not only your credentials, but also a story to tell there friends and your credentials as evidence of the wrongful story also.
I'm not a mentalist by trade, but I couldn't tell you how many more shows I have acquired with that one trick.

Sep 6, 2009
Cincinnati
Straight out of Corinda, A Swami Gimmick and a business card. Take out the card ask them to think of a number between 1 and 1000. "Oh you thought of 649, is there any reason you thought of that number. I wrote something on the back of this business before I asked you to think of that number..."
Freaking killer stuff cause not only do they have no where to go as far as how this sort of thing could be done, but now they have not only your credentials, but also a story to tell there friends and your credentials as evidence of the wrongful story also.
I'm not a mentalist by trade, but I couldn't tell you how many more shows I have acquired with that one trick.

I can personally attest to this. Swami + business card/notepad = a mentalist's heaven.

Nov 9, 2009
Well as Morgician once told me, "I could walk into a restaurant and take a poop on the table and get reactions."

I believe it would be better to say astonish, of course it's up to you.

A few good walkaround effects would be:

Killer Elite Zone Pro
ESPerfect
Billet work
Stigmata
Intuitive AI

Looch's material has a ton of stuff that's great for walkaround. Easy, simple, direct which is exactly what mentalism should be.

I guess that I'm just screwing up the names I'm giving it all over the place. Anyways thanks for all the recommendations its greatly appreciated.

Jan 21, 2008
Northern Ireland
Hey

I'm Daniel, i live in Northern Ireland, i usually open with swami with B/C, it kills lol

I perform it with like a suggestion style like if influence them to choose a 3 digit number, i throw like if i was reading their minds like i say no that not change your mind and then have them reveal the number it works great.

Quick, simple and direct

perfect illusion

i would follow with esp opener by Banachek with my new handle for the trick, keeping it with the same theme of suggestion.

My only rule with mentalism is simple and direct just like Looch would do, you don't want too long of a script, just ignore want you see Derren Brown do on TV he almost always uses pre show work which works great but your language skill have to be perfect for that kind of work, I did try it before and it didn't work cause the guy say "sure you know i wrote it on your pad a few moments ago."

Sorry if i when off the subject but thats my advice. I am trying to switch from being a magician to be a mentalist, I love mentalism but I still perform magic as it comes second nature to me, a good mentalism routine takes years to be perfect and natural, when that how it seems to me anyways.

Thank you

Daniel Telford

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
My only rule with mentalism is simple and direct just like Looch would do, you don't want too long of a script, just ignore want you see Derren Brown do on TV he almost always uses pre show work which works great but your language skill have to be perfect for that kind of work, I did try it before and it didn't work cause the guy say "sure you know i wrote it on your pad a few moments ago."

lol? You're giving advice about the aspect that you completely fail at? Everything else, I was in agreement, though.

Mar 25, 2008
Arkansas
I certainly agree that swami effects are stunners and simple to carry with you. However, in a walkaround situation in a ballroom or restaurant you can have angle issues.

Nathan Kranzo has two great effects for walkaround mentalism that I've been using EVERYWHERE lately. I can't recommend them enough.

DRINK is an instant download for $9 and it's made of pure awesome. It's a completely impromptu and prop-less discernment of a mentally selected beverage. Nothing written down. No pre-show. No counting or math. It's fantastic. (It DOES require some memory work on your part, but nothing too stressful.)

DICTION is a dictionary book test with a pocket Webster's Dictionary. It fits neatly in the back pocket, seems like a reasonable prop for a mentalist to carry, and is diabolical.

Jan 21, 2008
Northern Ireland
Sorry I maybe worded myself incorrectly but I was trying to get my point across about walkround mentalism and I am just saying ignore anything to lengthy for walkround because if there is drink involved in a bar or restaurant that means shorter attention span but I have done a few dinner parties and used full script about esp and Dr J B Rhine and it kills.

I am sorry if have confuse some people before

Hope I get my message across, I have some good information on mentalism as I usually go to lectures on mentalism BTW if you get a chance go and see Max Maven lecture he is awesome and full of information.

Cheers

Daniel

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Fogels "Flash Opener" is pretty much an excellent Swami effect. All you really do is ask them to think of the Initials of the first person kissed, you match it and prove that you are a mind reader. This can be done with like 6 people sitting at a table. You just do some standard Swami work and go from person to person and viola. Or you could just about anything else as well. Tho it has more impact when it's personal to them, rather than just a random number. Once you're done with that, you could go and do the Billet Routine that's in the first chapter of PMM and then just go from there. Both of those are extremely powerful and pretty easy for your average Beginner to pull off.

Jan 13, 2008
I use my iPod Touch with the iForce app quite a bit now, since I always have my iPod Touch on me. The two main effects that I do:

1) An effect that comes with the app, where you make a prediction in the Doodle app and then exit out of the program and place it face-up on the table. You have your spectator (volunteer, at this point) trace their finger around in a circle around the iPod Touch, and stop whenever they feel like it (usually, to make it somewhat believable (i.e., no magic powers), I will place my hand on their shoulder (after having asked first), and mention that I will be using multiple forms of suggestion (physical and psychological) to get them to stop where I want--it will seem like they have a free choice, but really my "suggestions" will lead them where I want). And, of course, no matter where they stop, we'll open up the app again, and I'll have correctly predicted it.

2) A simple prediction effect. This one I shape around psychology (having majored in Psychology, it seems like a logical explanation), and only perform after talking to them for a bit (or, if I must, by asking them a few questions first). I'll talk about how with what little information I know about them, and based on my observations of how they act in a social situation, I can tell enough about them to make a little bit of a prediction. So I'll have them think of ANY colour, as I write down my prediction on the Doodle app, and then place it on the table face down (or exit the program, so I can leave it face up). When they reveal what colour they were thinking of, it'll match my prediction perfectly.

Very simple to do, but very powerful effects. :)

Jan 13, 2008
I'd advice against using things like the Iforce or any other sort of Iphone app. It just looks tacky and silly.
I'm curious as to how using iForce would look tacky and/or silly. It's the modern equivalent of using a pen and paper (not carrying paper and a pen on me is precisely the excuse I use to justify the use of the iPod Touch, actually). It just looks like a drawing application, and functions like one, as well. The Doodle application, without the magical secret, is even available on the iTunes store, to further camouflage the fact that you're using a "magic" app, just in case you have a spectator that's really interested in learning how you did it (although, I really can't see someone going through the effort of trying to search up the app you used--although, I suppose it's entirely possible).

However, I do agree that most magic apps look quite tacky, when they're designed to be "magic apps". A rising, forcing, revealing, etc deck app on the iPod/iPhone just seems silly. Much like the magic "game" for the Nintendo DS seemed a bit silly (although I did buy it, and do enjoy playing around with it--but I'd never actually use it in a performance). However, when not designed to look like a "magic app", it can be quite the useful tool (i.e., iForce).

I dislike any technology out in the open in my effects. When I see things like ringtones and iPhone apps working with magic it takes away part of the astonishment. They know it has something to do with the technology and that takes away the real magic from it.

The rising card app here is just kind of stupid imo. I understand people may get "good reactions" or w/e with them but they know it has something to do with the itouch or iphone and not just you.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Which is why I think the idea of using the iphone for magic (unless you just do it to goof on your friends, then it's OK I guess.) but for hired gigs or anything else. It looks tacky and doesn't look impressive. Tho if you want your friends to believe that your can read their mind, then the iforce or whatever isn't really that good of an idea, because they'll just look at it and go "Yeah, you just re-opened the app and saw what I wrote or drew." thus taking away any amazement and making you look like a little kid with a toy. The two effects I mentioned. The Fogel and the Billet routine are actually incredibly powerful if you play them right and actually can convince people you can read minds.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results