First Gig tonight!

Jun 1, 2009
Hey guys, I have my first gig tonight at my local Dippin Dots. I'm working from 6-8 and my only pay is tips, so there was no negotiating pay.

I'm a bit nervous, but I'm used to peforming for small crowds so I feel good about that.
I plan on just doing some of my favorite impromptu effects and play around with different presentations to see what works for different audiences.

Any advice or encouragement is appreciated! Thanks guys!

Your boy,
Fez

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Fezzik,

Congrats and have fun. You'll be great. Have fun, smile, and really interact with the spectators. Don't just go through the routine. If someone says something funny, learn to play off of that. If you flash or make a mistake, who cares, blow it off and move on. Can't let that ruin your night.

Please do not just do all card effects. I actually get so many compliments by spectators by not doing more than two card effects. Mix in some other items...rings, rubber bands, etc.

Don't be afraid to get your business card out there. I bet you can land at least one gig from tonight's performance.

Let us know how it goes. Expect to be a little nervous and gittery. Once the adrenaline and reactions start coming...you'll get right into your groove.

Jun 1, 2009
Fezzik,

Congrats and have fun. You'll be great. Have fun, smile, and really interact with the spectators. Don't just go through the routine. If someone says something funny, learn to play off of that. If you flash or make a mistake, who cares, blow it off and move on. Can't let that ruin your night.

Please do not just do all card effects. I actually get so many compliments by spectators by not doing more than two card effects. Mix in some other items...rings, rubber bands, etc.

Don't be afraid to get your business card out there. I bet you can land at least one gig from tonight's performance.

Let us know how it goes. Expect to be a little nervous and gittery. Once the adrenaline and reactions start coming...you'll get right into your groove.
Reverhart,

Thank you for the encouragement. I am very much so a people person, so interacting won't be a problem :D. I like to adjust my effects to fit my spectators' personalities so they can better relate.

Sadly, I only have card effects (crippler, I know) well actually I have 3 rubber band effects as well, but thats it at the moment, I'm working on spongeballs and some money magic though.

I will most likely be doing only one or two effects at a time anyway ( "thanks for your time, enjoy your snack and have a nice day." *moves on to new group*) Of course birthday parties will be different.

My buisness cards are currently shipping right now, I do not have them available. (Again, a sad admittance :( )

I will definatley let you all know how it went once I get home.

Nerves still hit me a bit, but when I do stuff I'm comfortable with, I usually do not shake at all.

Thanks again!

Your boy,
Fez

Jun 1, 2009
I don't think its bad that you only have card effects, as long as you can ENTERTAIN with them I dont think it matters. just my oppinion

I've been doing only cards for 2 in a half years and I've gotten along pretty well :D, so I agree with you.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
definitely excited to see how it goes. I too am still working with nerves. Hopefully we both can get over them! Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great.

Jun 1, 2009
Alright guys I'm back from my gig. ( I went to christmas party afterwards.)
And......no one showed up. It was a total flop. It could just be that it was like 30 degrees out and no one wanted ice cream.

There was a family with a mom, dad, and about 4 year old daughter. I did three effects for them and it went fine, because it was pretty chill. Other than that, I had two friends show up from the party and we just chatted for about and hour because no one else came.

Hopefully it will be better next weekend. I appreciated all the support and advice though, thanks guys!

Your boy,
Fez

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
Awwwww, haha im sorry, thats suckish. Did you ever consider restaurants? ice cream shops are great for summer but even then they can be slow...or at least around here they are haha but in winter/fall forget it lol.

Nov 29, 2009
Honestly, that sucks.

Think of it this way, while you start of with small audiences, you can progressively grow larger as the weather gets better in spring. By the time sumemr rolls around, you will have 2 seasons of experience which can seriously enhance you magic. Afterall, people are more in the mood to be entertained during a nice sunny day as opposed to a day where theres icicles hanging off roofs.

Jun 1, 2009
Yeah, thanks guys, I understand why it wasnt very active, thanks for the support. I gave the manager a little bio of me (upon his request) that he is going to make copies of and send to other schools (the dippin dots is closet to mine, but it represents other schools in my discrtict) so hopefully that will boost things up.

Nikki: I have considered it, we have a mello mushroom (pizza place) about 10 min. from me where Jason Michaels did magic on fridays. He doesnt do it anymore so I might find something there. I would rather start a bit small with dippin dots just so I can get the experience of performing in that kind of environment, if that makes sense.

Ravenwest: I like the philosophy, and yes that makes sense: warm weather is perfect for entertainment.

Your boy,
Fez

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
You should keep performing at your Gig then the word will spread that there's a magican at Dippin Dots. More and more people will come and by the spring you have so many gigs will be book for the summer. Also what are the effects you perform?

Jun 1, 2009
You should keep performing at your Gig then the word will spread that there's a magican at Dippin Dots. More and more people will come and by the spring you have so many gigs will be book for the summer. Also what are the effects you perform?

Yes thats the whole plan, and they approached me asking me to do it, so they are willing to promote me however they can.

Today I did a few color changes, a triumph routine, and crazy man's handcuffs.
But with a bigger flow of people it will probably very; I would do biddle trick, recon, Doc Daley's last trick, and an ace sandwich routine most likely. Those are my favorites.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Sad I couldn't wish you luck. Also bummer on the lack of audience.

You're out performing though, and that's more than most magicians.

If you want to eventually branch into restaurant work, or even just want to do close up magic, pick up David Stone's book, Close Up : The Real Secrets of Magic. It's only 30 dollars, and has some pretty hardcore advice for the professional close up magician.

I'm also glad to see you're expanding your magic, a good book that encompasses all facets of magic will help develop your abilities. Mark Wilson and Joshua Jay both have complete course books, either would be somewhat helpful to anyone looking for good magic that doesn't (and some that does) involve cards.

Just a few suggestions I try to leave with everyone.

Jun 1, 2009
Sad I couldn't wish you luck. Also bummer on the lack of audience.

You're out performing though, and that's more than most magicians.

If you want to eventually branch into restaurant work, or even just want to do close up magic, pick up David Stone's book, Close Up : The Real Secrets of Magic. It's only 30 dollars, and has some pretty hardcore advice for the professional close up magician.

I'm also glad to see you're expanding your magic, a good book that encompasses all facets of magic will help develop your abilities. Mark Wilson and Joshua Jay both have complete course books, either would be somewhat helpful to anyone looking for good magic that doesn't (and some that does) involve cards.

Just a few suggestions I try to leave with everyone.

I'll look into that David Stone book, thanks. I also do have Mark Wilson's complete course in magic, I am doing his bill to lemon effect for my talent show in January. I haven't really delved into too much with other types of magic, but I'm trying to get into spongeballs a bit just to branch out, and for little kids, and I know that is in his book.
Thanks for the advice.

Your boy,
Fez

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results