Calling all Canadians - Magic Special : CBC 12/09/09

LeeAsher

theory11 artist
Aug 31, 2007
Eugene, Oregon
www.leeasher.com
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to remind you that Greg Frewin's first major one-hour television special will be on tomorrow evening. Please pass this to anyone you know who's interested in watching magic (laymen and magician alike).

His holiday special titled 'Greg Frewin: Magic Man - Home for the Holidays' airs Wednesday at 9pm (EST) on the CBC. Please check your local listings for a more accurate time schedule.

After screening the final cut, I can assure you that it's overflowing with magic, drama, passion, excitement, lots of high energy and fun. It's a real nice departure from the in-your-face street style magic shows dominating the airwaves today. Greg is a real star!

If any comparisons had to be made, it would be the modern-day version of The Magical Land of Alakazam mixed with the reality show, American Choppers. Tune in to find out for yourself.

Also check out Greg Frewin's Twelve days of Christmas videos on CBC's official website. You may find the clips here at http://www.cbc.ca/holiday

Make time tomorrow evening to spend an hour with one of Canada's greatest illusionists. Bring your whole family along because everyone's going to love it!

Enjoy Greg Frewin's Magic Man: Home for the Holidays.

Asher

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to remind you that Greg Frewin's first major one-hour television special will be on tomorrow evening. Please pass this to anyone you know who's interested in watching magic (laymen and magician alike).

His holiday special titled 'Greg Frewin: Magic Man - Home for the Holidays' airs Wednesday at 9pm (EST) on the CBC. Please check your local listings for a more accurate time schedule.

After screening the final cut, I can assure you that it's overflowing with magic, drama, passion, excitement, lots of high energy and fun. It's a real nice departure from the in-your-face street style magic shows dominating the airwaves today. Greg is a real star!

If any comparisons had to be made, it would be the modern-day version of The Magical Land of Alakazam mixed with the reality show, American Choppers. Tune in to find out for yourself.

Also check out Greg Frewin's Twelve days of Christmas videos on CBC's official website. You may find the clips here at http://www.cbc.ca/holiday

Make time tomorrow evening to spend an hour with one of Canada's greatest illusionists. Bring your whole family along because everyone's going to love it!

Enjoy Greg Frewin's Magic Man: Home for the Holidays.

Asher
kinda sucks, i don't live in canada, nor do i have that channel, ...i do have the full DirecTV package......can it be found on any of those stations???

Jan 13, 2008
Provided I'm done my readings for my exams, I'll definitely check it out. :)

(University always comes first :p)

Jan 13, 2008
Direct TV doesn't carry the CBC, as it's an American dish. You would need Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice) or Bell ExpressVu. Or a cable network, like Rogers.

Either way, a list of channels for any satellite provider can very easily be found by Googling "[satellite provider name] channel list". Or visiting the site of the satellite provider and taking a look around there.

As for cable providers, the channels differ by city/region, thus you would need to visit the site for your cable provider and see if they have a list online (or again, use Google).

Hopefully everyone who wishes to is able to access the magic special. :)

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
To be honest, he had some great stuff in in act that was shown, but the big stunt was something that I wouldn't be surprised if he did nightly in his regular show. And even then it was sort of meh. Perhaps anticlimactic is a better word. Great concept, but it could be supped up a lot.
The close up tricks were good, but it was really cheesy and the reactions were not very genuine.
In terms of the documentary aspect, it's a great idea, but it was all WAY too rehearsed. You could tell some parts they had shot the scene a few times. They need to actually shoot the real footage in order to do well at the reality tv/documentary thing.
And the poor wife is always portrayed as the worrywart. :rolleyes: It's not a great choice because it makes him look inconsiderate to his wife's concerns.
So overall it came across really cheesy, but he had some great magic with some great twists (especially walking through the levitating woman and the birdcage vanish/appearance)
Good job, but needs some work to make it through all 13 episodes.

Jan 13, 2008
Agreed completely, it was full of cheese. The reactions didn't seem genuine at all, and the "documentary" aspects seemed quite rehearsed.

Also agreed, I thought the ending was quite anti-climactic. And yes, it would be something I could see entering his regular nightly act.

On the plus side, he did indeed have some nice effects. My favourite part being when he walked through the woman during the levitation (although, the rest of the levitation wasn't as impressive as it could have been--maybe I'm just being overly critical, having seen many other better levitations, minus the walking through part). It also made it seem odd that he'd have to walk around and under the woman numerous times, given that he just walked through her moments before. Also, it was nice to see someone actually using Flow--that effect got lots of praise by many for being so creative, yet it quickly got labeled as unpractical and fell out of favour by many (judging off of reactions on numerous forums)...it was very nice to see it get some use. :)

Also, totally jealous that his house cat is a Tiger cub. :p

But yeah, overall, I wasn't very impressed with the show. I'm not sure I'd watch another episode. Maybe if there was an edit where it only showed the effects, I'd watch that. Maybe. Otherwise, there was too much wasted time (they showed the falls and the city so many times, and for so long, in cut-scenes, it was ridiculous) and cheese/scripting, making is seem very disingenuous, for my liking.

Mar 29, 2008
I liked how Greg's kindness came through.

I liked how we got to see his family, as that is who Frewin is.

I think he was a little nervous, but his choice of material was great.

I liked how we got to see Lee Asher nodding his head a few times on camera...yeah, I saw you man.

Hope it helps Greg do even better - a really great person that works hard for what he loves. Magic, and his family.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results