Can you help me?

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me with something.

I want to make a video of some tricks and make it look nice. (Like a promo vid) with clips of tricks, animations of stuff to make it look good.

I'm in the darker side of magic... Not like devil worshiping but like dan sperry or william draven. So stuff like skulls, blood, and stuff like that.

If you guys could help that would be great, but the thing is I don't know what to make the videos of. If you could PM me or post responses here that would be awesome.

Thanks a lot,

-blake

Sep 1, 2007
If you want to know how to edit, I can help you out, but you need to give me something more to work with. I need to know what your routine is supposed to look like. You don't have to show me, but can you draw yourself a storyboard? Stick figures are okay if you're not good at graphic artistry. I need a better idea of what you're trying to achieve before I can give you specific feedback and advice.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
You can watch some teaser videos of people like B.Smith's Wounded, Tears of Blood, etc. to get some ideas that go that route.

Black and White clips work well sometimes with scary stuff, the film looking distorted here and there. Quick bursts or strobe effect.

Just trying to brainstorm.

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Steerpike- well iall I want to do is make a video of me doing some tricks but I don't want it to look crappy like, "I'm going to show you a trick," then after that trick I say "now here is another one..." You get what I'm saying? I want it to flow, now when you say drawing a diagram what do you mean? Or when you want me to make a routine. I have a routine but that's not what I want to edit. More along the lines of a video of a couple of tricks with some editing.

Thanks.

reverhart- I thought of that black and white. Also thanks for the ideas of lightning and strobe light ideas.

Sep 1, 2007
Steerpike- well iall I want to do is make a video of me doing some tricks but I don't want it to look crappy like, "I'm going to show you a trick," then after that trick I say "now here is another one..." You get what I'm saying? I want it to flow, now when you say drawing a diagram what do you mean? Or when you want me to make a routine. I have a routine but that's not what I want to edit. More along the lines of a video of a couple of tricks with some editing.

Well, here's a basic consideration. A dissolve, cross fade, or dip to black generally implies the passage of time, divorcing one scene from the next and showing that time is being condensed to move you on to the next scene.

To accomodate for cuts, you want to give yourself about 6 seconds of lead roll. What this means is that once the camera is going, wait 6 seconds before doing anything and then pause for 6 seconds after finishing the take before you stop the camera.

What effects are you going to show? And while I can appreciate the schlocky theatrics you see in Rob Zombie concert or music video, consider that it may serve to distract people from the magic you're presenting and just trip you up as a result.

Apr 7, 2009
Switzerland
Hmm, I don't know how good you can use editing programs, but I wouldn't use Windows MovieMaker, because that gives the impression of a cheap video made by a 12 year old. :D
I consider buying a good editing program for example Sony Vegas.
Then I'd go to youtube, because there are some pretty good tutorials on how to make good videos.

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
I can try to help you, upload the raw video in Vimeo password protected, give me the link and I'll do it for you ... nothing better to do anyway ...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results