Little Guide To Start Perfoming in Restaurants or Bars

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Do you have any tips on rates??

I am very interested in magic as a side income, it's kind of my dream. I don't want to do it full time. I want to go to college, have a profession, but still be a magician on the side. I want to become a restaurant magician within the next 3-4 years(refining my skills and set) and was wondering on how you come up with fair rates.

I was thinking upon rates such as

$75 for 3 hours twice a week, $125 for 3 hours once a week, or $200 for 3 hours once every other week
Or even raising it or whatever I come to terms on.
Right now I'm tossing tricks and refining my act. Stop practicing silly sleights that I won't use anywhere.

Doing simple stuff like

Sponge balls/sponge bunnies (great for crowds, audience interaction)
Chicago Opener
Extreme Burn
Ring & String > Ring Flight Revolution
ACR with Card to Wallet
Invisible Deck

I'm starting to recognize what will work in bar/restaurant situations.

Hello!!

125 for 3 hours once a week sounds good...

maybe you could also tell the restaurant to give you a free meal and let you put a poster of you on the entrance...to promote yourself...

about your material..it´s good!! but maybe you should eventually include some magic with restaurant stuff (napkin, sugar packets, glass,etc..) to look as a pro..

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I have to throw this in...DO IT FOR THE KIDS!!!

If you see a family of 4 or 5, that is the perfect table to go to...especially if the kids are between 9 and 14 years old! You will get great reactions, spongeballs are perfect, at that age they will understand MOST tricks, and whats more...the parents will most likely appreciate you entertaining them while waiting on food, and keeping the kiddo's entertained, and most likely tip you good!!

I believe that if there are any kids at the table, you should definately try to incorporate them as much as possible!!!

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I have to throw this in...DO IT FOR THE KIDS!!!

If you see a family of 4 or 5, that is the perfect table to go to...especially if the kids are between 9 and 14 years old! You will get great reactions, spongeballs are perfect, at that age they will understand MOST tricks, and whats more...the parents will most likely appreciate you entertaining them while waiting on food, and keeping the kiddo's entertained, and most likely tip you good!!

I believe that if there are any kids at the table, you should definately try to incorporate them as much as possible!!!

Yes...I am writing a new post on restaurant magic...as oposed as busking in restaurants...

I was going to include that...like some tricks for kids...and how to approach a table by the kids...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results