I really don't like Criss Angel

May 31, 2008
the cold hard fact is he is making millions more than you and is probably the most well known magician today...he is obviously doing something right

TV, and being different.

He's on TV, and no matter how bad something is, if it's on TV it will receive at least some recognition. Laymen are so used to the stereotypical magician pulling rabbits out of hats etc. that a heavy-metal-goth magician is revolutionary to them (and it sort of is) They see him as being different and cool because of his image. That's my theory as to why Criss Angel is popular.

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
its obvious all you 15 year olds in your mothers basement are jealous of him...the cold hard fact is he is making millions more than you and is probably the most well known magician today...he is obviously doing something right...and since when do methods matter? I'm pretty sure whats important is fooling the audience...and he sure is doing so...ask any laymen, they are always fooled...

I totally agree with you. Like I said I like Criss. Not my favorite magician, but I like him. I mean, I'm 15, but not in my moms basement... In my dads....... Anyway I agree with you totally.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
TV, and being different.

He's on TV, and no matter how bad something is, if it's on TV it will receive at least some recognition. Laymen are so used to the stereotypical magician pulling rabbits out of hats etc. that a heavy-metal-goth magician is revolutionary to them (and it sort of is) They see him as being different and cool because of his image. That's my theory as to why Criss Angel is popular.

Getting on TV is the first step. It takes ratings to stay on TV. It doesn't matter if it's good or bad as long as it gets the ratings. Don't believe me? Watch Firefly. Excellent show with a downright rabid fan base, but it was canceled after 13 episodes. Why? Because it didn't get the ratings to secure its place.

Criss Angel is successful. He's out in the public image. If you do closeup magic, you're probably going to be compared to him at some point. That's not such a bad thing. It means the spectators are associating you with other well know magicians. They key is to examine what Criss Angel (Or David Blaine or anyone, really) has done to get their success if duplicate it in your own fashion.

Criss is very good with branding. He has created a brand out of himself and people associate things to him because of it. That means if you are even slightly rock/gothy (which .. he's not goth, but that's a whole different story) and do close up magic, you're probably going to get compared to him at some point. Just a fact. Deal with it, or change enough to break from that association.

May 31, 2008
Getting on TV is the first step. It takes ratings to stay on TV. It doesn't matter if it's good or bad as long as it gets the ratings. Don't believe me? Watch Firefly. Excellent show with a downright rabid fan base, but it was canceled after 13 episodes. Why? Because it didn't get the ratings to secure its place.

Criss Angel is successful. He's out in the public image. If you do closeup magic, you're probably going to be compared to him at some point. That's not such a bad thing. It means the spectators are associating you with other well know magicians. They key is to examine what Criss Angel (Or David Blaine or anyone, really) has done to get their success if duplicate it in your own fashion.

Criss is very good with branding. He has created a brand out of himself and people associate things to him because of it. That means if you are even slightly rock/gothy (which .. he's not goth, but that's a whole different story) and do close up magic, you're probably going to get compared to him at some point. Just a fact. Deal with it, or change enough to break from that association.

Exactly, he got on TV, and he got ratings and stayed on TV because he is different.

Jul 13, 2009
I do not know if anyone remembers but I liked him back when he had a smaller stage show and did those two tv specials, Mindfreak and Supernatural. With that said I still have all of his CDs System 1-3, Supernatural, Mindfreak and Mindfreak the new one. Yeah I am a fan boy of his music and old stage magic show.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results