The Psychology Of Magic

Jun 5, 2010
New York, New York
As of late I have been faced with an interesting challenge when it comes to performing tricks. Basically I see a trick like the Shinobi control or pressure and it amazes me. Then when I learn a trick and find that it the secret behind it is I worry about preforming it out of the fear that my audience will see through me. Any thoughts on how to tackle this problem?

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
If you were fooled, they will be fooled.

If you were fooled they will be fooled, don't worry. Practice the moves. Especially like those of the shinobi control, don't make a move out of it and I generally do the "move" aspect of it as I talk and look at them. It works for me, it will work for you. Don't sweat it.

Jan 5, 2010
New York
practice

All you have to do is practice it as much as u can until you have it down packed.... when you feel you are able to perform the tricks without any fear of messing up it will give you the confidence you need to perform it.. you must have confidence in yourself before you should perform any trick. Good Luck.

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
As of late I have been faced with an interesting challenge when it comes to performing tricks. Basically I see a trick like the Shinobi control or pressure and it amazes me. Then when I learn a trick and find that it the secret behind it is I worry about preforming it out of the fear that my audience will see through me. Any thoughts on how to tackle this problem?

This happens a lot, and one of the best things that Magicians can do to get rid of this fear is to believe what they are doing. Just like with palming or trying to cleanly drop an item in your pocket, you must remove the guilt of hiding that item. This comes from the confidence of practicing a lot and the constant thought/reminder that the participants in your effect really do not know what you are doing. Make it look natural and flow everything together and you will successfully master misdirection =)

Jun 5, 2010
New York, New York
This happens a lot, and one of the best things that Magicians can do to get rid of this fear is to believe what they are doing. Just like with palming or trying to cleanly drop an item in your pocket, you must remove the guilt of hiding that item. This comes from the confidence of practicing a lot and the constant thought/reminder that the participants in your effect really do not know what you are doing. Make it look natural and flow everything together and you will successfully master misdirection =)

Thanks for the helpful words of wisdom RediSpades. It looks like I have some practice ahead of me. :eek:

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
your practice should include as much performance to live audiences as possible, if you want the confidence to get away with everything without feeling guilty.

So true, I have a handful of people that I show opening effects to before I go public with it and they know that they are the test audience. I can't tell you how invaluable they have been. And don't worry about messing up everyone once in a while, just brush it off and move to the next effect. (Make note, that this does not mean that you should perform effects that you haven't practiced that much).

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I agree that the best way to get over that feeling is to use the move(s). I use moves that are so blatant I can't believe they work, but they do. I use a deck switch that consists of "Put deck in left front pocket, take other deck out of left back pocket." Flies right by.

Just do it, mate. No one knows what you're doing, so they don't know what to look for. Obviously you need to be smooth and proficient with the move, but don't worry so much about how blatant they seem. Audiences aren't magicians.

Apr 1, 2009
California
Basically I'm coming to second what everyone else said. If it fooled and impressed you when you saw it, then there's no reason why it wouldn't do the same to your average audience.

You know something, some audiences can be fooled even if they know the workings of your effect. I know for me, when I watched magicians like David Blaine, I knew how one or two things worked or could work before I was actually in magic. But with how well he did it, or just the presentation and performance mastery I was actually convinced, "he's got to be really doing it." I wasn't exactly Einstein, but I wasn't an idiot either. Just work hard at what you do. View everything as though you were the spectator. Work like a magician, but view your work like a spectator. it's not about you in the end. its about them.

Emran

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/1on1/#n
Apr 12, 2010
If you were fooled they will be fooled, don't worry. Practice the moves. Especially like those of the shinobi control, don't make a move out of it and I generally do the "move" aspect of it as I talk and look at them. It works for me, it will work for you. Don't sweat it.

very well said sir! :D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results