Christmas Party Close Up Card Magic Routine

Apr 2, 2011
Hello!

I'll be performing for my 3rd year high school classmates this Christmas.
I wanted to ask help about the sequece of effects I chose. Thanks!

1. Card to Mouth

2. ACR

3. Trick Sharpie

4. Biddle Trick.

Hello!

I'll be performing for my 3rd year high school classmates this Christmas.
I wanted to ask help about the sequece of effects I chose. Thanks!

1. Card to Mouth

2. ACR

3. Trick Sharpie

4. Biddle Trick.

Always do ACR that leads into Card to Mouth, so it's a stage within your routine and not a seperate trick.

Getting a card to appear in your mouth is impressive... then when you get it to come to the top you're sort of taking a step backwards.

I always do once to top.... then get them to put it in the deck and have it appear on top, then I pretend to teach them how I do it and do card to mouth. Each stage gets more impressive each time.

Make sense ?

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
where's the theme here? You're performing at a christmas party and your doing card tricks?
Card tricks are fine but where's the magic? im just seeing lists.
You could literally perform all these tricks anywhere so it seems really mundane.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I don't know what you mean by "trick sharpie" but it seems like it would flow nicely if you used the same card for each trick.

Start with the biddle trick. Once you reveal the card have them sign it, (do something with your sharpie?) start your ACR and finish with card to mouth.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Is this supposed to be a set within an entire show or this is all you have? I'm confused.

As mentioned, "Card to Mouth" is normally a phase / stage within an ACR. Normally it is the ending or close to it.

If you give us more details about the gig we can definitely help you out more.

Apr 2, 2011
anniversary waltz
french kiss (you must do it !)
triumph
collectors

Thanks for those suggestions but I'm not asking for tricks. I can't do French Kiss because we're a boys school. I also can't do Triumph because it looks sloppy which is against my personal style. I'm familiar with Anniversary Waltz but I haven't learn it yet. Collectors, I'm not familiar.

Apr 2, 2011
Always do ACR that leads into Card to Mouth, so it's a stage within your routine and not a seperate trick.
That's true.

Getting a card to appear in your mouth is impressive... then when you get it to come to the top you're sort of taking a step backwards.
That also could be true but it's a matter of personal choice. The only reason why I chose card to mouth to be my opener is because I want an opener effect to speak for itself and card to mouth does that.

Thank you for the advise!

Apr 2, 2011
Apr 2, 2011
I don't know what you mean by "trick sharpie" but it seems like it would flow nicely if you used the same card for each trick.

Start with the biddle trick. Once you reveal the card have them sign it, (do something with your sharpie?) start your ACR and finish with card to mouth.

Haven't thought of this. That's a good idea. Thanks for sharing!

Apr 2, 2011
Is this supposed to be a set within an entire show or this is all you have? I'm confused.

As mentioned, "Card to Mouth" is normally a phase / stage within an ACR. Normally it is the ending or close to it.

If you give us more details about the gig we can definitely help you out more.

Sorry Rick. I just made this thread late at night and didn't give much information. This is not a show/gig. I just want to perform. I've combined those 4 effects to be one set. I still have other effects that I didn't state here because I don't know how to make them a routine but anyway here's the list:

1. 3 card monte(gaff version)

2. 2 card monte(gaff version)

3. 10 Card Poker Deal

4. Strange Travelers

5. Runaway(Ultragaff)

I can't find a way to connect these effects. So I guess I'll perform one effect then have a break, then come back and perform another one etc. Or maybe, just don't perform them. I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I think I understood. The list was the effects you're comfortable doing right? You just wanted thoughts on how to string them together, right?

What kind of Sharpie trick do you do?

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
You mentioned it is not a show or a gig, but ask yourself, what is the harm in treating this as if it were a show or gig. If you go into any performance with the mindset you are doing an actual gig, it will give you more motivation to not only perform better, but to create a better set.

You say things are personal preference, and that is a reason for you to have your sets a certain way, and that is true, but personal preference is not always based off of fack, personal preference based off of a lack of experience or understanding is not a valid reason to "keep things as they are," but should be used to help you to improve your knowledge on performances. The advice to do card to mouth AFTER an ACR is solid advice, and you will only be hurting yourself if you open with CtM and then move onto ACR. I am not saying this impossible to pull off extremely well, but from what I have read, your experience is a bit low and might not be ready to tackled such a large challenge.

You are however absolutely right that an opener should speak for itself, and CtoM does do that, but CLOSERS should as well. Nothing is to say that CtoM cant be or shouldn't be your closer.

Now for new opener ideas.

Red Hot Momma (Chicago Surprise/Opener) is tested and proved, and is an amazing opener.

Perhaps a 1 strong phased, or 3 phased sandwich routine.

In regards to your use of gaffs... gaffs can be great, but don't get too tied down by them. FASDIU tricks will be your best bet to fall back on, so make sure that FASIU tricks are your bread and butter. It will serve you better in the long run.

And lastly, if you are performing at school, "less is better" holds true. I would cut everything down to rare performances of a set of TWO tricks. No more. Save some material for the next day / week/ month even.

Jun 1, 2009
Are you being expected to perform? Like you are being advertised for it? Or is just like "hey a party, I'll want to perform."
You'll want to be sure you are pretty comfortable performing for others, so you won't get nervous and start shaking and all that.
If it's something reaaaally casual, then making an entire "set" isn't totally necessary. Having two or three tricks that flow well together is nice, yes, but worrying about all them "connecting" isn't a vital thing. If you are expected to perform, like a mini show, then yes you'll want cohesiveness in your routine. That doesn't seem to be the case here though. Do a little bit for one group, then some more for another, and so on. Or just pull the cards out randomly when it kind of dies down.

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
Even though the trick that I'm going to mention is not a card trick, I truly believe that you will earn your applause as well as your reputation by performing the rising okito voodoo doll. You lay the doll flat on your palm and then it slowly starts to rise up into a vertical position. The rising of the doll is completely under your control and uses no strings, magnets, wires, pk rings or anything that you're thinking right now. Please check out this effect if you haven't done so already, you will love this so much. Check out this video of my performance of this effect on my youtube channel. The one I did at Costco was when I don't really have a presentation for it but the other video I started to add presentation so I hope you invest your money and time into this. Please reply and tell me if you like this effect and if you do and would like to perform it, I will help you out as much as I can. Every person that I've seen perform this effect have done it very poorly because they stretch their fingers way too much during the rise, but I promise that I will help you out until you get it to the point where your fingers and hands stays the same throughout. Please don't pass this one up. Many thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsBoLs2dvH8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmIMRoJG-so

Apr 2, 2011
You mentioned it is not a show or a gig, but ask yourself, what is the harm in treating this as if it were a show or gig. If you go into any performance with the mindset you are doing an actual gig, it will give you more motivation to not only perform better, but to create a better set.
True. I actually think of this as a gig.

You say things are personal preference, and that is a reason for you to have your sets a certain way, and that is true, but personal preference is not always based off of fack, personal preference based off of a lack of experience or understanding is not a valid reason to "keep things as they are," but should be used to help you to improve your knowledge on performances. The advice to do card to mouth AFTER an ACR is solid advice, and you will only be hurting yourself if you open with CtM and then move onto ACR. I am not saying this impossible to pull off extremely well, but from what I have read, your experience is a bit low and might not be ready to tackled such a large challenge.
Yeah. I must admit, my experience could be low. Magic is just my hobby. I've been doing it for about 2 and a half years now. Even if it's just a hobby, I'm taking it seriously. I agree with you that doing a card to mouth after an acr is great. They're are two reasons why I don't like it much. First, it looks like an overkill in my own point of view. How can my proceeding effects match that? I want each effect in that set to build. You might be thinking, then why is card to mouth your opener if you want each effect to build? That is an exception because for me, an opener is like how you introduce yourself to them as a person. It'll reflect on you. It's either they like you or it's over. You must strike them with lightning. The second reason why I don't like it much is because it looks like a David Blaine copycat. Doing card magic is already like a copycat of David Blaine. That could be how laymen think nowadays. They see you do magic with a deck of cards, the first thing that'll come to their mind is David Blaine. So I want to make that copycat factor less as possible and that's why I'm thinking now if I should remove the acr from the list.

You are however absolutely right that an opener should speak for itself, and CtoM does do that, but CLOSERS should as well. Nothing is to say that CtoM cant be or shouldn't be your closer.
Thanks for saying that a close should also speak for itself. I didn't thought of it. I'm not 100% sure if the Biddle Trick speaks for itself.

Now for new opener ideas.

Red Hot Momma (Chicago Surprise/Opener) is tested and proved, and is an amazing opener.
I agree! It's a good one but it doesn't work for me and I'll create a short video(about 30 seconds) explaining why and I hope you watch it. I'll post the link here when it's done.

Perhaps a 1 strong phased, or 3 phased sandwich routine.
Thank you for advising that. I'll consider the Wave The Aces as an opener.

In regards to your use of gaffs... gaffs can be great, but don't get too tied down by them. FASDIU tricks will be your best bet to fall back on, so make sure that FASIU tricks are your bread and butter. It will serve you better in the long run.
What does FASDIU means?

Thank you very much for your advises!

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 2, 2011
Are you being expected to perform? Like you are being advertised for it? Or is just like "hey a party, I'll want to perform."
No. It's just a Christmas party and I want to entertain.

You'll want to be sure you are pretty comfortable performing for others, so you won't get nervous and start shaking and all that.
Don't worry. I'm comfortable performing.

If it's something reaaaally casual, then making an entire "set" isn't totally necessary. Having two or three tricks that flow well together is nice, yes, but worrying about all them "connecting" isn't a vital thing. If you are expected to perform, like a mini show, then yes you'll want cohesiveness in your routine. That doesn't seem to be the case here though. Do a little bit for one group, then some more for another, and so on. Or just pull the cards out randomly when it kind of dies down.

I agree! Making an entire set and connecting them is not vital but I want to experiment and experience performing a set.

Thanks for your advise!

Apr 2, 2011
Even though the trick that I'm going to mention is not a card trick, I truly believe that you will earn your applause as well as your reputation by performing the rising okito voodoo doll. You lay the doll flat on your palm and then it slowly starts to rise up into a vertical position. The rising of the doll is completely under your control and uses no strings, magnets, wires, pk rings or anything that you're thinking right now. Please check out this effect if you haven't done so already, you will love this so much. Check out this video of my performance of this effect on my youtube channel. The one I did at Costco was when I don't really have a presentation for it but the other video I started to add presentation so I hope you invest your money and time into this. Please reply and tell me if you like this effect and if you do and would like to perform it, I will help you out as much as I can. Every person that I've seen perform this effect have done it very poorly because they stretch their fingers way too much during the rise, but I promise that I will help you out until you get it to the point where your fingers and hands stays the same throughout. Please don't pass this one up. Many thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsBoLs2dvH8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmIMRoJG-so

Pete, thank you for suggesting that effect. It's a good one. The only problem is I'm not sure if I could present this effect well. For me, I think it's difficult to make this realistic. I don't want to harm this effect by presenting it just like a trick. The presentation I just thought of now is just to do it without words because it doesn't really need words. It speaks for itself. Anyway, I'll really think about this. Thanks!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results