Christmas Party Close Up Card Magic Routine

Apr 2, 2011
I always present this effect as a way to magically move the doll and my patter storyline might not make sense to some pople but as long as they can visualize similar scenes that they've encounter in the movies this effect will take their breath away. I understand your comment perfectly about the silence, but for me, I think that silence goes better during the rise, but in the beginning you have some kind of patter (make sense or not) that leads into this effect. If you decided to get this effect, the method can be applied to anything else other than the doll. You can even make a candy cane rise up using this method.

Just to clear things up, I have nothing against your presentation.

Also, I don't see anything wrong with saying they're no strings, since they're really aren't any.
Anyways, thank you for your time to reading my post and I wish you all the success.

I read before Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz and I read something very important. Here's the message Darwin said in my own words:

Things that are not important should not be given importance. You give it importance, it might diminish the effect.
Saying there's no strings does 2 things to your spectators. First, many spectators know nowadays about strings, but keep in mind, there's still some who don't. If you say there's no strings, you've given them information that some magic is done with strings. And the second is, because you've said there's no strings even if there isn't really any strings, you've given them a method which will diminish the effect and might portray you as a trickster.

Apr 2, 2011
In my opinion, this is one if not the best method to a magic effect that I've across so far in my magic career. With regards, to the price, practicality, audience impact, and the impossible factor, there's no effect that can beat this. At first when I got this effect, I didn't perform it at all for two months because I didn't think that this would not get much impact, but when I finally tried it, I'm hooked.

True. I agree with that except when you said that there's no effect that can beat this.

Apr 2, 2011
Now back to the subject, I don't know if you've read my suggestion about the thread concering the effect snowstorm by jay Sankey, but I believe that this fits perfectly into the christmas theme and can be done anytime in your set. Have you seen this effect?

Sorry I haven't check it out. I'll research about it today. Thanks!

Apr 2, 2011
Smoke can hit extremely hard. It has the potential to destroy an audience (in a good way), or it could kinda just stump people for a few minutes and cause a few (ohhhhh????). To be honest, your presentation will receive more of the latter.

Since you have the sharpie out, have it used several times in the set. Take a cocktail napkin or a previously used signed ACR card, and draw a cigarette on it, roll it up, and use that as your cigarette. Play it up. Act. Create a "there is no Fn way" atmosphere, and then do it.

Eric Jones has some great subtleties on one of his videos in his use of smoke, I suggest trying to track those down!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
Just to clear things up, I have nothing against your presentation.

I read before Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz and I read something very important. Here's the message Darwin said in my own words:

Things that are not important should not be given importance. You give it importance, it might diminish the effect.
Saying there's no strings does 2 things to your spectators. First, many spectators know nowadays about strings, but keep in mind, there's still some who don't. If you say there's no strings, you've given them information that some magic is done with strings. And the second is, because you've said there's no strings even if there isn't really any strings, you've given them a method which will diminish the effect and might portray you as a trickster.

I completely agree with you, next time I won't mention any strings. I'll just wait for them to try and find the string and they might be a little bit more surprise that way:) Very good point, thank you.

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
This is good.

I agree that this is a good presentation for this effect, but the handling where you need to take out the sharpie for no reason, when you didn't write on anything, is really funny and pointless to me. In the presentation he said that to imagine pieces of paper, then why not imagine a sharpie as well?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results